Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: how to clean up 'error' files???

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

imacaluPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hi Guy's, i'm a relative new VDJ (V.5.2.1) user.
am working with a brandnew macbookpro and a denon DN-HC4500.
Everything works fine but there is one last issue: i'm suffering with a lot of error files.
i'm managing all my music in itunes and i'm 100 procent sure there are no double tracks in itunes.

When searching a track in VDJ, sometimes i get 3 or 4 or more results with the same name. 1 of them is the real one, the others give an error while loading!

How to get rid of these error files?
Before switching to VDJ i was working with traktor. Orphan files in traktor were marked with a exclamation mark and were easy to delete that way.
In VDJ there seems to be no information about that, except in the browser options. But the buttons 'check - clean - fix' are not helping me.

who can help me out?

geposted Tue 25 Nov 08 @ 6:52 pm
I'm having the same problem. How do we fix this?

geposted Tue 25 Nov 08 @ 9:25 pm
i hope some VDJ user can help us out. A collegae DJ is struggling with the same on the windows platform.

As shown in my first screenshot, i've got 9645 total entries, 9102 files in searchDB while i'm only having 5322 tracks in my itunes database:

Let me mention also that i have not been moving any audio file in itunes. I never do this. For years all my files are in itunes.

i just removed all my tracks from the search DB, then tried the 'check -clean - fix' buttons again. result: 9654 total entries: 3918 files in searchDB, 5641 present but hidden from search, 95 saved old entries. Have a look:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bonifacedj/CleaningDatabaseInVDJ?authkey=azko6qX476I&pli=1#5272936766467068786

I don't understand the VDJ database. Still 3918 files in searchDB when i just removed them all.
is this a bug in VDJ???

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 5:36 am

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 7:25 am
The "check", "clean" and "fix" buttons in the browser have been useless ever since they were introduced in whatever version way back when. Presently there is nothing you can do to find the dead tracks short of trying to load each track one by one. I've actually been doing this because I'm in the process of ensuring the bpm's are correct on all my tracks and I delete the dead tracks as I come across them.

BTW, it seems you guys have like double the number of tracks in VDJ than you have actual tracks. All those extra tracks are likely from your external hard drive, and anytime your external hard drive is not connected the tracks will still appear in VDJ unless you remove that particular drive from VDJ's database by right clicking on the volume and selecting "remove from search database". Also, keep in mind if you make a change a track's filename, the old filename will remain in VDJ unless removed.

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 10:13 am
dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
The "check", "clean" and "fix" buttons in the browser have been useless ever since they were introduced in whatever version way back when. Presently there is nothing you can do to find the dead tracks short of trying to load each track one by one.

Thanks for making this clear!
Why on earth do the programmers of VDJ not simply remove this buttons if they are useless?
Made me try for day's to find out if i was doing something wrong... nothing seems now... the buttons are just useless.

dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
BTW, it seems you guys have like double the number of tracks in VDJ than you have actual tracks. All those extra tracks are likely from your external hard drive

Nope, no external hard driver connected. Al my files are on the HD of my imac and on the HD of my new Macbookpro itself.
What might have caused this, is me adding my collecting several times to the search database cause VDJ found a track i was searching for (1 result) and then that one file gave an error while loading. Checked from within itunes if the file was there, and it was.

Have been asking on this forum what was happening. 'Maybe you moved your file, that's why VDJ can't find it' somebody suggested.
Well, i never move files withing itunes.
I found a solution, although irritating, for this: i just drag the song out of itunes to my desktop. Now VDJ is able to load it from the desktop...

dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
Also, keep in mind if you make a change a track's filename, the old filename will remain in VDJ unless removed.

Ok, good to know. So when changing a track's filename in itunes, VDJ will then have two files when restarted. A new and a old one unless removed...
So VDJ is not able to refresh the database and has useless 'check - clean - fix' buttons... Great :-(

My macbookpro functions as a spare computer too. So i've been experimenting: In the document/VirtualDJ folder i've removed the file 'VirtualDJ Database v5.xml. A new fresh one was created when i started VDJ.
Now my VDJ database is clean but all my cuepoints are gone as well...

Why did i buy VDJ?
- cause it fully supports my denon HC4500, with full support for the display (Traktor doesn't, promised in a next version)
- the search function is just like in itunes. Great! (traktor has a stupid search function)

Why do i still like traktor?
- because the build-in skin fits bright and clear on every screen resolution.
- dead tracks are easily traced and removed, changes in itunes itself are shown in traktor when restarting. Refreshing goes automatically. No hassle with double, three-double, even four-double filename's and dead tracks like in VDJ. In other words: traktor has build in invisible check-clean-fix buttons which simply works.

I truly hope VDJ is going to make those 'check-clean-fix' buttons work finally. i don't mind having to 'check-clean-fix' the VDJ database manually by clicking three buttons, but not having a system for doing a necessary job, only useless buttons, makes me regret buying this application.

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 12:09 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hopefully that database issue will be fixed in the next version.

Regards;)

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 12:37 pm
spinnaJ wrote :
Hopefully that database issue will be fixed in the next version.

Regards;)

ah ok, there is hope. The buttons are already there. That was step one. Step two is letting them work. That's maybe in a next version...
Quit a relief to realize it was only a two step plan (nowhere mentioned in the userguide) with those three buttons..
:-)

geposted Wed 26 Nov 08 @ 12:50 pm
am working at a (boring) party right now and i just noticed that the 'search database: add automatically' doesn't work either...
Added an album few weeks ago. Couldn't find it using search until i selected the album manually and righ-clicked': add to search database'.

This is quit a sad joke isn't it?
why are all these options there if they simply don't work?

Remove them in a next update or make them work i should suggest.

geposted Fri 19 Dec 08 @ 6:51 pm
roedelPRO InfinityMember since 2006
hi maybe I can help with a little trick to see which track will work and which not before loading it:
do a right click in the browser on title or artist headline and activate filedate. Every track without a filedate wont play.

No solution but it helps late in the night

tom

geposted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 5:18 pm
No s**t eh? That actually works? I'm gonna give it a try. Good tip.

geposted Thu 05 Feb 09 @ 6:36 pm
Take a look for "VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml" edit the file in a text editor like Dreamweaver, then remove the song entires. Hope this helps.

geposted Sat 17 Jul 10 @ 11:54 pm
I think I figured this out, in case anyone was still having an issue. Go to your blue folder and create a new playlist in VDJ. Type in the filter "insearchdb=0". This will then create a playlist of all the songs that are not being searched by VDJ. Go to the folder, highlight all of the songs, and right click. THen select add to search DB. Then go into config and re-check your database and it should be all good, with no hidden files. Same goes for songs that are with errors. Do the same and type in "ispresent=0" and this will create a playlist of all songs with errors. Then simply remove them from the DB. Hope this helps and makes sense.

geposted Sat 16 Apr 11 @ 9:42 pm
Right click on the file/folder/hard drive you want to access music from. and simply click 'Add to Search DB'. this will refresh any new files and make them available and ready for use.

geposted Sat 24 Sep 11 @ 12:28 pm
"I think I figured this out, in case anyone was still having an issue. Go to your blue folder and create a new playlist in VDJ. Type in the filter "insearchdb=0". This will then create a playlist of all the songs that are not being searched by VDJ. Go to the folder, highlight all of the songs, and right click. THen select add to search DB. Then go into config and re-check your database and it should be all good, with no hidden files. Same goes for songs that are with errors. Do the same and type in "ispresent=0" and this will create a playlist of all songs with errors. Then simply remove them from the DB. Hope this helps and makes sense."

This worked to readd our files hidden from the search database, but when I tried to rescan for tags, most of our folders are still not being checked. I will continue to search for answers but thought I would add the question to this thread just in case someone else discovered another answer for this topic.

geposted Wed 03 May 17 @ 9:03 pm
This thread is six years old. If files show as error it is because VDJ cannot locate them, usually because they have been moved or renamed outside of VDJ.

geposted Wed 03 May 17 @ 9:20 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)