Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Clip bank crashing on MAC virtualdj

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Has anyone had problems with the clipbank crashing on MAC virtual DJ? I've been a pc guy all my life and virtualDJ has worked great there. I just purchased a macbook pro to use as a dedicated computer for DJ'ing; one of the 2011 models that was released last week. it's still basically stock configuration, and I've only installed three things: virtualdj, traktor (both the latest, legal releases) and the ntfs driver for my external seagate hard drive. Also I installed the pandoras box video plugin to try it out, but it wasn't selected or active when these crashes happened.

I have a small collection of ambient videos I've used on the pc version of virtual DJ without issue. I loaded some of these into the clip bank and repeatedly when i activate the clips and switch back and forth between a couple, the system will freeze and I get that "you need to restart your computer...hold down the power button until it turns off..." error. (I'm not familiar enough with macs but I'm guessing this error has a name like the BSOD on pc).

I was able to repeat the issue several times - although i'm not sure which exact action causes it. I know different clips have been playing the various times it has happened (so it's not due to just ONE bad clip - and like i mentioned, these clips have worked fine on the pc for me). I am able to let a clip loop through several times, but it seems like after i've done that... switching back and forth between different clips in the bank will cause the issue (I don't know if it's related to the frequency at which i select clips, or maybe the length of time the plugin has been active).

I opened the console and here are some errors I found:

3/3/11 2:42:59 AM virtualdj_pro[517] virtualdj_pro(517,0xa0a0e540) malloc: *** mmap(size=2206400512) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
3/3/11 2:42:59 AM [0x0-0x23023].com.atomixproductions.virtualdjprofull[517] virtualdj_pro(517,0xa0a0e540) malloc: *** mmap(size=2206400512) failed (error code=12)
3/3/11 2:42:59 AM [0x0-0x23023].com.atomixproductions.virtualdjprofull[517] *** error: can't allocate region
3/3/11 2:42:59 AM [0x0-0x23023].com.atomixproductions.virtualdjprofull[517] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
3/3/11 2:50:51 AM virtualdj_pro[186] Could not find image named 'soundsetuphome1'.
3/3/11 2:50:51 AM virtualdj_pro[186] Could not find image named 'soundsetuphome2'.
3/3/11 2:50:51 AM virtualdj_pro[186] Could not find image named 'soundsetuphome3'.
3/3/11 2:50:51 AM virtualdj_pro[186] Could not find image named 'soundsetuphome4'.
3/3/11 3:09:54 AM virtualdj_pro[218] Could not find image named 'soundsetuphome4'.

There were quite a few of the "could not find image" errors -i'm not sure what is causing them, however they not only happened around the time virtual dj was crashing - but several hours before, before i had even enabled and tested the video on this system.

Are there any other error logs i need to look up?

geposted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 10:36 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
malloc() is a function to allocate memory at the request of the program.

In your case, this function failed with the error n°12 which means:

/usr/include/sys/errno.h :
#define ENOMEM 12 /* Cannot allocate memory */

Secondly, you have the same thing with the function mmap()

It looks like a VM fragmentation issue.

geposted Sat 05 Mar 11 @ 1:38 pm
djcel wrote :
malloc() is a function to allocate memory at the request of the program.

In your case, this function failed with the error n°12 which means:

/usr/include/sys/errno.h :
#define ENOMEM 12 /* Cannot allocate memory */

Secondly, you have the same thing with the function mmap()

It looks like a VM fragmentation issue.

...and how would you suggest fixing this?

Here's an interesting observation. One of the clubs I DJ in has a ttm-57sl installed. I was there early last night and it was going to be a slow night (since college here is on spring break) so figured I'd download scratch live and give it a try. I kept getting an error in scratchlive that the rane hardware was not detected. I did all the usual troubleshooting steps to no avail. Then after some research I found out that this is a known issue with the 2011 macbooks; apparently all previous macbooks running snow leopard boot into 32 bit mode by default. The 2011 macbook pro's are the first that load the 64bit kernel by default. There's a software incompatibility on rane's side that prevents the ttm-57sl from working. The workaround (until rane fixes their driver) is to boot into 32 bit mode.

Booting into 32 bit mode and running clipbank in virtualDJ - seemed to solve the issue. I only played with it for a few minutes, I'll have to spend some more time with it before i have enough confidence to use it on a job, but it seems like this is a workaround.

I had emailed support about this issue as well, I'll have to see what they say. In the meantime, is anyone running virtualDJ on a new 2011 macbook pro and can confirm or deny that they experience this problem?

geposted Sat 05 Mar 11 @ 3:28 pm
for reference, to boot into 32 bit mode here are the instructions:

Turn off you Mac:
1) Power up your Mac. While your mac is starting up press the 3 and 2 keys at the same time. This will launch Mac OS into 32 bit mode.
2) To see if it worked go to the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen. Select 'About This Mac' and then select 'More Info'. Go to software on left side this should give you specs. Under the 64bit if it said,"no" it changed, if "yes" is still there do it again.

or to do it permanently, there are instructions at this site:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/mac-platform/articles/51652.aspx

geposted Sat 05 Mar 11 @ 3:34 pm
Ok I was wrong...clip bank still causes a lock up in 32 bit mode....it just takes longer to happen and happens a little less forcefully (in x64 bit mode I get an error telling me i must shut down my computer. in x32 bit, everything will freeze w/o an error - and the music will continue playing).

Any suggestions? I opened a ticket w/ support a week ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

geposted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 2:45 pm
ajthedjPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I've been having the same problem. A temporary solution that I found is just to deactivate the clipbank before switching clips. Hope this helps.

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 12:07 pm
ajthedj wrote :
I've been having the same problem. A temporary solution that I found is just to deactivate the clipbank before switching clips. Hope this helps.

Are you running a 2011 macbook pro?

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 11:42 am
I get the issue of clipbank or video freezing on my 09 macbook pro, I just go into the config, deactivate video for a second and then reactivate video again and it works again for most of the gig after that

geposted Wed 16 Mar 11 @ 5:24 am
kookies2304 wrote :
I get the issue of clipbank or video freezing on my 09 macbook pro, I just go into the config, deactivate video for a second and then reactivate video again and it works again for most of the gig after that

regarding what you said: I've had similar things happen to the video when I run virtualDJ on PC - It's been a while, and I don't remember what transitions/effects/whatever I was using, but I know there have been one or two times when I've had to de activate and re-activate the video in preferences to keep it running again.

however this problem on my mac is a sudden crash of everything; I get a kernel panic error and have to restart the computer (here's apple's page on the error: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392?viewlocale=en_US)

I opened a ticket with virtualdj on March 3rd and it still remains unanswered- still showing up with a status of "new ticket" in my list of tickets on this site.

geposted Thu 24 Mar 11 @ 12:15 pm
Rcu1377PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I just upgraded to Virtual DJ Pro 7 and clip bank is crashing on my Macbook PRO as well. Guess I won't be playing any audio only tracks at the club till I get this figured out. OS is 10.5.8 and I use a Hercules Steel controller.

geposted Thu 07 Apr 11 @ 8:42 pm
I was experiencing the same problems with clipbank crashing on my macbook pro in both versions 6.0.5 and 7.0.3. It may seem overly simple, but I selected the option "decode while hidden" in config>video>"decode while hidden" and it seems to have corrected the errors in clipbank for now. It may be coincidence, but it worked for me.

geposted Sat 16 Apr 11 @ 12:54 am
drcrin2PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Did anyone find a cure for this as its been the bane of my life for a long time and no one seems to have been able to help out right up to the new 7.2 and still the issue exists

geposted Fri 09 Nov 12 @ 11:39 am
I found a solution. Mine doesn't crash if I don't use a hub to connect my external hard drive to my Mac. How that works and why I don't know but it works for me.

geposted Thu 15 Nov 12 @ 10:01 pm
This happens to me, as I switch between clips it crashes/freezes, as another poster has siad if you deactivate clipbank before switching clips, it seems to be ok, just got to remember to do that!
Chris

geposted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 1:14 pm
BTW i tried the decode while hidden and it still crashed so watch out!

geposted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 1:23 pm
ajthedj wrote :

This is the safext way to go!

It has been driving me mental!

geposted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 1:24 pm
bgottiPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I have been an avid VDJ user for years.....

A number of years ago I had a gig where at the end of the night, my very last song was playing when all of a sudden the audio coming thru the speakers went to alll static.....I thought nothing of it since I was on an old PC.....

However now, I've recently been having the same problem, this time on a MacBook Pro (most recent edition of Snow Leopard). I thought the problem was my mixtrack pro so I took it back. I picked up a Denon MC6000 and started having the same problem......so I deleted VDJ and re-downloaded it. I didn't have any problems until last night when playing my first song, the audio output went all static again!!

As back up I have a Y-Cord coming out of the headphone jack that I run into the amp itself that I have used when this has happened and then everything is ok, so it seems to me it has something to do with the audio output when using a controller and not the audio output of my computer.

Again, the problem is that a song will be playing and then all of a sudden there will be a huge burst of horrible static that takes over the audio output, the song will continue to play on my interface, but there is only static coming out of my speakers......this does NOT happen when I don't use a controller and instead feed the audio out of my laptop to a amp/speaker using a Y-Cord coming out of the headphone jack.

Please help, this looks very unprofessional and it's so embarassing when this happens.....if I Don't get this issue resolved this week I'm going back to Serato!!

geposted Sun 06 Jan 13 @ 9:37 am

geposted Sun 06 Jan 13 @ 11:11 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)