Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help! Laptop Or Desktop - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Whats up guys, my name's Jason. Im currently a dj at a skating rink in griffin ga. Im 15 and im wanting to go forward with my djing career. Im trying to decide whether to buy a desktop computer or a laptop, can someone answer this question?

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 7:57 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Get a high spec laptop. desktop should stay on a desk. Laptop is portable.

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 9:15 pm
Any type recommended?

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 9:28 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Macbook Pro or a High spec Dell.

I am sure others will give you more options.

Whatever you get, Make your minimum specs at least 2.4ghz with a min of 4GB memory duo core.

Good luck.

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 9:54 pm
coach kPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Macbook pro 13 is a great choice, but I would suggest that if you can afford it, go with the macbook pro 15. If not, get a Toshiba with a I5 and at least 4 gigs in it. Stay away from Dell and their notorious extended warranties, where your computer somehow gets a virus only weeks after the warranty ends.

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 10:16 pm
laptop. I went and bought a 24" iMac for all the glory it had to offer in visual eye candy and now I wish I would have just bought a macbook.

i bought a laptop later but I plan on getting a macbook soon.

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 10:23 pm
jbart19PRO InfinityMember since 2011
First thing - whats the budget ?

Next OS - Windows or Mac - lots of people swear by MACs but WIN 7 PRO is a great OS too.

I am a windows guy so here is my two options based on two different price points.

After having several different brands of laptops over the years I have really come to love a few of the Sony VAIO product lines.

They just announced some new products earlier today so these are cutting edge but also relatively affordable compared to the comparable MAC spec for spec.

For a budget under $1000 check out the new 15" CB series:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&categoryId=16154&N=4294966502&Name=Laptops#/overviewTab

For a budget between $1500 - $2000 check out the new 16" F series :

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&categoryId=16154&N=4294966502&Name=Laptops#/overviewTab

These both have the newest Sandy bridge based processors and will be noticeably faster than older versions even ones with higher Mhz ratings because the processor is more efficient. you will also get longer battery life.

The big difference between the two is the the CB series is a dual core processor and the F series is a quad core processor. both have hyper-threading and auto speed boost for better performance.

geposted Sun 13 Mar 11 @ 11:39 pm
I use a custom built desktop, and it is very portable. I can carry it and a 22" monitor in one hand. All five hard drives are internal, four are terabytes. My main concern is putting on a great show, not how light I can travel.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 2:17 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
coach k wrote :
Stay away from Dell and their notorious extended warranties, where your computer somehow gets a virus only weeks after the warranty ends.

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter rubbish.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 4:53 am
SBDJ wrote :
coach k wrote :
Stay away from Dell and their notorious extended warranties, where your computer somehow gets a virus only weeks after the warranty ends.

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter rubbish.

Dude check your facts before speaking, I am just one of 1000's who had this issue, plus I met plenty of those people as well! Let's not forget the fact of me going to a staples to have my Dell desktop fixed and he showed me at least 20 Dell computers that all somehow got viruses only days after their warranties expired! DELL SUCKS!!! SO HAVE FUN RUBBING!!!

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 7:44 am
Get a laptop of your choice Mac /Win 7 with at least 2.4ghz with a min of 4GB memory duo core.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 7:48 am
I am not going to engage in an argument that would suggest that Dell infects its customers with viruses because I think that is not even plausable.

I have purchased at least 7 Dell computers in the last 10 years (for home and business use) and, to my knowledge, have never been infected with a virus. I do run anti-virus software and I am careful about what I install on my computer.

I'm sure the original poster is on a budget but in December I purchased the Dell XPS 17 with an Intel I7 processor, 8 gigs of RAM and a 1.2 TB hard drive. I bought this computer specifically for music and I am very pleased so far. I have never had the computer freeze up and I have never had the music skip or stutter in any way.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 7:52 am
Bloody hell, it doesnt really matter anymore even a cheap lappy will do the job now.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 7:57 am
Bloody hell, it doesnt really matter anymore even a cheap lappy will do the job now.

but cheap lappys got low ram, wont it lag?

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 8:29 am
jbart19PRO InfinityMember since 2011
One more thing to look for - USB 3.0 -the ports are usually blue. If you will be keeping your collection on an external hard drive make sure to get one that supports USB 3.0 and a laptop with matching ports. This will significantly enhance the usability of any external data source.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 8:33 am
i use for my mobil disco a desktop in a industrial steel case build in a rack!Best performance ;-)Laptop is for backup :-)

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 8:38 am
Palladium wrote :
I am not going to engage in an argument that would suggest that Dell infects its customers with viruses because I think that is not even plausable.

I have purchased at least 7 Dell computers in the last 10 years (for home and business use) and, to my knowledge, have never been infected with a virus. I do run anti-virus software and I am careful about what I install on my computer.

I'm sure the original poster is on a budget but in December I purchased the Dell XPS 17 with an Intel I7 processor, 8 gigs of RAM and a 1.2 TB hard drive. I bought this computer specifically for music and I am very pleased so far. I have never had the computer freeze up and I have never had the music skip or stutter in any way.

Palladium,

There is no argument, I just stated my opinion on a past experience with me and quite a few people I know. Dell may have been good to you and many others, I am sure, I don't knocked that at all. But from my experience and others, I suggest he stay away and you may say otherwise. I'm cool with that, because you have the right to agree to disagree. Yet at the same time, if you plan on trying to discredit what I am saying, coming at me crossed eyed and not having any facts, trust me, I will put you in your place! Come at me with the same respect, I give you.

Nothing personal, because at the end of the day life goes on!

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 8:41 am
No offense but I don't think you can really "put me in my place." You can try.

If you have evidence that Dell infects it's customers with viruses then you have a class action lawsuit. So, we await your evidence.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 10:09 am
hallabackkid101 - There are always going to be Mac & PC fanboys. The debate will probably continue after the extinction of humanity as it certainly isn't going to die in this thread anytime soon. I've used both and have had my share of hardware failures with both.

Your question was laptop or desktop. It's going to come down to a matter of preference much like everything else. From what I understand you're 15 and looking at taking your game to the next level. How are you going to take your game to the next level? More events? Different venues? Will you be buying a sound system or will there always be one on site? How much other equipment will you be lugging around? Will you be mixing video? What kind of budget are you on?

The answer may not be as simple as you may think. Red car or blue car? It all comes down to preference... unless of course you have a bottomless bank account and the blue car is a Pinto and the red one is a Ferrari.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 10:13 am
I am with AMaHM, I built a PC in a small LANBOX last April and will never look back to a laptop. I never had anything but problems with my laptop, High spec $1800 Dell back in the day, and I built my current setup for just under $2,000 and not one problem. Enough hard drive space for all my music, karaoke and video. i7-960 processor that FLY'S, 6 gig triple channel memory ect ect.. Tons of fans for cooling and if I have a problem, I can open it up and swap a part very easily. I am lucky if my cpu meter ever hits 20% and that's while playing 2 video at once while loading 2 more at the same time. Just my 2 cents lol. In my opinion, if you are just doing music a laptop will suffice.

geposted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 10:25 am
41%