Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anyone use the Bose L1 Line array speakers for mobile gigs?? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
If anyone has any experience with these I would love to hear your input. Specially about the largest venue you've done with them.

geposted Thu 05 Apr 12 @ 1:58 pm
 Best Answer There's a trendy bar we go to when we visit Newcastle. They have JBL subs and really old 802's and the sound is out of this world. It's a small room with a low ceiling but the thump of the bass and crispness of treble is outstanding!

Keith

geposted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 1:35 pm[ selected best answer by Dan (djtouchdan) on Mon 14 May 18 @ 8:53 pm ]
They Sound Great. Make sure to use at least two of the bose subs. Ive used them in big halls for weddings and they sound great. I actually think they sound better in a bigger space or room.

geposted Thu 05 Apr 12 @ 3:28 pm
ProfLeePRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have a Bose L1 Model2 with 2 B1subs and I also own 2 Bose Compacts. I also own the Bose Tonematch mixer.

Single Compacts are perfect for groups of up to 100 people if the audience isn't looking for loud music and/or lots of bass. I tend to use solo Compacts for small house parties, wedding ceremonies, back yard picnics, cocktail hour, art shows, awkward load/in out situations, etc.

I use two Compacts for dance crows up to about 120. When using Compacts, I also keep an ESW sub in my van in case the crowd is unusually dense and I need more low end. The compacts won't wow you with their low end. But as far as clarity, ease of set-up, they can't be beat.

Whenever the venue acoustics is unknown or if I have a crowd of up to 120-250 people, I bring my L1 Model2 with 2 B1 Subs. With this set up I could technically do up to 500 people. However, to get more thump on the dance floor, I would add 2 more B1s for a total of 4 and a Packlite.

Many Bose users that regularly do large dances and outdoor events will use 2 L1's with 4 B1 subs. 2 Subs for each L1.

geposted Thu 05 Apr 12 @ 3:59 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
1 L1 w/ 2 B1s are enough for most venues. But I also have the Compacts for added coverage in the rear of the ballrooms.

geposted Thu 05 Apr 12 @ 9:21 pm
I've been using the system for close to 10 years and I love the system, especially when you have to build and tear down quickly.

geposted Thu 05 Apr 12 @ 9:48 pm
drzincPRO InfinityMember since 2005
The Bose would not cut it in most of the weddings I do. I do a lot of West Indian Weddings and they would laugh at me if I showed up with those sticks and computer subs.

geposted Thu 05 Apr 12 @ 11:06 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Your best bet would be to test yourself, possibly hire some.

The L1 polarises opinion. Most DJs I know with an L1 setup prefer to use a proper sub alongside them instead of the B1s.

geposted Fri 06 Apr 12 @ 4:48 am
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Thanks for the info guys.

Been looking at these for a while now. I really hate having to rent a uHaul van every time I do a mobile gig. I have 2 EV ELX15 and 2 ELX18S. Along with lights, truss, amp rack. Its a lot. Been wanting to scale down a bit.

I am primarily a club/bar DJ and most of the mobile gigs I do, maybe 1 or 2 a month, are corporate events held at hotel ballrooms. Typically 200-500 guests. Do you guys think I may be able to get away with 2 L1's and 1 powered 18" sub.

geposted Fri 06 Apr 12 @ 9:17 am
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
You might be able to get away with that.

The sound of the bose l1 is really BRIGHT!!! I mean extremely bright. Matching it with another sub may prove to be a Challenge.
Set up and breakdown is super and it all fits in the trunk of a compact car which is awesome.

The problem for me with the bose system is that while it's loud enough, the sound is not big enough. Even with 4 of the subs, it's just not big enough.

As I said, the highs are extremely bright and the volume is decent but the sound is not full (big) enough. The subs just don't do it at all for me.

For the price of the system vs. what it can do..... I can't justify it.

Two QSC k subs and two K10's or k12's would work much better but again, the subs really don't do it for me.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in sound.

Me. I need bass that can be felt as well as heard. I need more than a rounding out of the lower end frequencies and that is all you get with either the bose systems or the QSC k sub but the QSC system sounds better than the bose.

Good luck and I hope this helps you.

geposted Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 12:46 pm
LudekPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Bose L1?
Frequency Range (-3 dB) only 40 Hz – 12 kHz
Max continuous SPL @ 1m only 115 dB,
"Big" 12,1 kg subwoofer with two 5.25" LF drivers...
This is any joke? Maybe good for background wedding music.... But for any real dance party? :-)

http://pro.bose.com/pdf/pro/tech_data/L1/td_l1_m2.pdf

geposted Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 3:13 pm
Tested them against my Peavey rig and they were terrible. Probably fine for a small room or a single musician but I would never dream of using them for anything else.

The towers sound good and look nice but the bass units are poor. The whole system just lacks punch.

I might consider a set for my lounge if my 20 year old Wharfedale system ever packs in!

Keith

geposted Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 3:32 pm
I agree. The L1's miss a lot of high and punch. As far as I could see there's not a single high-driver in them, only small broadband-drivers and in my opinion: for bass you still can't replace displacement..... I work with a singer who askes me from time to time to help him setting up this L1-system with the ToneControl. I've set it up numerous times and never got a good result. It is work-able but not good.
There are enough options that will give a better sound (and maybe even for a lot less money....)

geposted Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 4:06 pm
Good for background music, house parties, kids parties and the like.

If you have all that other gear then you would still need a van anyway, and you'll never DJ to 500 for them.

I would buy a bigger vehicle.

geposted Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 6:01 pm
"No high's, No low's?.......Must be Bose."

Line arrays's are Absolutely STUNNING for live sound applications; The L1 is great for a one-man band in a coffee shop or Martini lounge.

There use to be a bose system that had 2 "banana shaped" line arrays mated to the bose subs, Those rocked. They had a signal processor that ran into a separate power amp, so you could power regular bass bins with the 2 "Banana Strips" and It sounded incredible.

Search on Ebay for them.

The L1's leave much to be desired for 300-500 person weddings.

You'd be better off with a B-52 matrix1000v2.

geposted Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 9:50 am
"The L1's leave much to be desired for 300-500 person weddings."

Now that's funny right there... You must have never done a 500 person weddings with Bose then...

You guys make me laugh... Most of you think not to buy Bose because of the way you think it sounds or because of the old "No high, no low's, must be Bose" comments. You do realize that the experience at weddings has NOTHING to do with what you think and EVERYTHING to do with what the audience and the bride & groom think. I assure you, every bride & groom I work for LOVES THEM. I get people coming up at every gig saying how great they look and sound.

Stop and check your ego's at the door. Remember that you are there to provide a service and that service is to make your gear look good and sound good for the CUSTOMER, not yourselves. Bose is an AWESOME choice for a wedding dj and more.

geposted Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 12:04 pm
The moment the customer is going to tell you your sound is no good is the time to retire.... So you are, as an owner, the first to criticize your own gear. This has nothing to do with ego's but (as you could have known by reading the responses) with experiences. And my (and others) experience is that the L1's are just not enough buck for the money. There are better options for that amount of money and you can only spend it once.
TS has asked for our advice and that's what he got. But if you are satisfied with your gear no one is trying to tell you different.

geposted Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 12:43 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
djmagicmoments wrote :
"The L1's leave much to be desired for 300-500 person weddings."

Now that's funny right there... You must have never done a 500 person weddings with Bose then...

You guys make me laugh... Most of you think not to buy Bose because of the way you think it sounds or because of the old "No high, no low's, must be Bose" comments. You do realize that the experience at weddings has NOTHING to do with what you think and EVERYTHING to do with what the audience and the bride & groom think. I assure you, every bride & groom I work for LOVES THEM. I get people coming up at every gig saying how great they look and sound.

Stop and check your ego's at the door. Remember that you are there to provide a service and that service is to make your gear look good and sound good for the CUSTOMER, not yourselves. Bose is an AWESOME choice for a wedding dj and more.

Slow down killa......

Nobody here flashing ego besides you.

The l1 is a good system but it does not do what most of us need done which is provide Highs, Mids and LOW END enough to be FELT and not just heard.

I HAVE done a 500 people wedding with the bose system and 4 bass mods and it simply was not enough. Not enough for me and not enough for the customer. Yes, everybody could HEAR the music but the sound was uninspiring to say the least.
This particular client comes to other shows of mine. That's why he hired me to do his wedding and reception. The sound for the wedding was great (very low volume music and official ceremony on the mic) but the reception was not (louder music, no ceremonial talking). Not enough sound. Not enough bass.
My regular soundsystem was in a hall that I had to play at later that night so one of my partners pulled thru with his boes l1 system.
I used that system for the wedding and a few other times when I dj'ed with him.
In all instances, I was unimpressed and the clients had expected more than the bose was able to deliver.

It also depends on your clients. If you have shows that are NOT parties (Where people are expected to dance, party and get it in) where the most that is happening is people standing around having cocktails and talking, then the bose l1 is just the right system.
If you have clients that are looking for the nightclub sound experience and are planing on partying hard. bose is not the system for you.

Also, I never heard that "No highs, no low's, it must be bose" line before. That's a funny line.
1'st time I ever ran across it but I won't be repeating it.
On a positive note...

They DO look good.

geposted Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 12:56 pm
djspynnPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have a personal friend that swears by the l1.. Every time i hear it A it is bottoming out and b very lacking... I went to guitar center the other day and kind of did a shoot out with the L1, k series, kw series and prx series... The winner for me was kw then k series, then prx then bose.... Bose lost the dj market to me when they discoed the 803's... Even sweetwater says to stay away from the l1's and they sell to everyone....

geposted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 7:08 am
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Reason for no highs or lows was the old systems were marked to DJs and they did NOT use the mandatory panaray controller. Also, their amp was not beefy enough (Bose are speakers arrays and not efficient).

Then the ones on stands required a hard wall to bounce off of. So in an open space or cloth/fabric behind, the sound got lost.

And the mammoth sub had a huge appetite for watts (and the special signal from the panaray controller).

The L1 line makes it very much plug n play. It just works after of course you calibrate the gain staging.

Been using since fall of 2005 and not looked back since.

geposted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 11:45 am
I base my opinion on having a Bose system in the past, 2x 502b's, 2x 802 mk3's, 1u digital controller, 2x Crown XTI 4000's.

I love Bose gear and will probable get the 802 mk4's when they come out just for small gigs, but the up shot is that the gear is expensive and under performs compared to it's rivals.

Everybody has a different level of acceptance when it comes to sound, of course your customers are happy, they would be happy with pretty much anything as their not used to PA sound not having systems of their own.

If your Bose rig works for you and your happy with it then that's the main thing.

geposted Wed 18 Apr 12 @ 1:23 pm
87%