Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Beats go out of sync

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

ThelemaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hey guys.

I've been practicing my beat maching, and one thing I've been noticing, is that even though I get the timings right, and the BPM of both songs are the same, when both songs are playing mid-transition, they seem to slowly go out of sync. Why does this happen if they're both playing, supposedly, at the same speed?

J.

geposted Thu 12 Apr 12 @ 1:06 pm
This is part of the art of DJing....

Some songs have a very steady tempo, others don't. The computer and software will analyse the song and provide what it thinks is the correct BPM - but the software doesn't account for changes. It always assumes that a song only ever has one (fixed) tempo.

That's not always the case. The beat grid which VDJ provides over the waveform also is made on an assumption that the tempo is fixed, and so if you're using the beat grid to sync tracks, and relying on it, then you will find it doesn't always work.

Solution: Don't rely on the computer to do things for you. Listen and adjust manually.

geposted Thu 12 Apr 12 @ 1:41 pm
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Thelema wrote :
Hey guys.

I've been practicing my beat maching, and one thing I've been noticing, is that even though I get the timings right, and the BPM of both songs are the same, when both songs are playing mid-transition, they seem to slowly go out of sync. Why does this happen if they're both playing, supposedly, at the same speed?

J.

BPMs tend to drift. This is more so with old 80s tunes where there was an actual live drummer on the songs and not just a beat machine. Just nudge the platter fwd/back accordingly. Or use the pitch bend buttons to get it on track.

geposted Thu 12 Apr 12 @ 3:11 pm
I do, but I was just wondering if it was something that could be solved within VDJ's configuration.

Thanks, folks.

geposted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 5:06 am
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
you need a skill in djin and the skill is "listening"

i never rely on the sync.

you got that and u can mix... try mixin vinyl

geposted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 5:16 am
If you can't deal with 'loose beats' and really need every track to be locked tight to one tempo, then take a look at the warping ability in Ableton Live.

Tracks with unstable BPMs can be straightened out (auto or manual) by using warp markers to drag stray sections into line.

Unfortunately no DJ software (that I know of) can currently do this, so the only way is to do the job in Ableton Live first.

geposted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 5:51 am
Or use the jogwheel and a finger :)

geposted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 6:56 am
groovindj wrote :
If you can't deal with 'loose beats' and really need every track to be locked tight to one tempo, then take a look at the warping ability in Ableton Live.

Tracks with unstable BPMs can be straightened out (auto or manual) by using warp markers to drag stray sections into line.

Unfortunately no DJ software (that I know of) can currently do this, so the only way is to do the job in Ableton Live first.

Nah, I'd rather just do it by ear/feel. Makes the whole experience more fun. It's really no big deal, as I can do it just fine. I was just wondering what the specific reason for that was.

Thanks again.

geposted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 6:59 am
I know exactly what you mean, although you do have to listen to it rather than rely on the visuals, the pitch on the deck should be able to keep it closer than it does by default.

I am a vinyl DJ and I can get it closer using real decks, than I can with this software but fear not, I have found a solution to your problem;

For this to work, your tracks do have to be close in BPM range to start with (within 6%).

First set up your hot keys for the pitch -0.01 & +0.01 in the configuration menu under 'mappers' (I use the up & down arrows), or just use the default set up.

Then change the pitch range to 6% by clicking on the pitch range number above the pitch slider until you get to 6%.

Click on the sync button to get it close as possible using the software.

you can now use the hot-keys to change the pitch very slightly but just enough to smooth out the software discrepancy.

Although this does help considerably, you will need to keep adjusting it slightly throughout the mix as advised before but this does make it much easier to control.

Hope this helps.......

geposted Thu 17 Jan 13 @ 1:43 pm
Im using virtual dj 7 and sometimes even though both songs both have the same bpm ans theyre not 70's disco songs with real drummers, one of the song would rapidly go out of sync. Tried everything to fix this, any help please ?

geposted Tue 20 Mar 18 @ 3:12 pm
Please don't dig up five year old threads to ask a question.

user17505363 wrote :
Im using virtual dj 7

Why on earth are you still using a version that hasn't been updated in years?

user17505363 wrote :
both have the same bpm

According to who or what? What songs are they?

user17505363 wrote :
Tried everything to fix this

Oh well that's it then. If you've tried everything then there's obviously nothing left to suggest. :-)

Have you checked the CBG of both songs to make sure they're aligned properly? If each song's beat grid isn't aligned with the audio then the songs won't sync (if you're relying on the computer to do it for you).

geposted Tue 20 Mar 18 @ 4:27 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)