Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mic Recommendaton - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Could anyone recommend a decent Mic for broadcasting on Internet Radio. I'm currently using a DDJ-Sx as a controller if that makes any difference or not.

Many thanks

geposted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 6:09 pm
Budget?

geposted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 6:33 pm
sorry should of said that ! not really got one to be honest just looking for quality really - tone is important as theres not much you can do eq wise on the controller

geposted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 6:40 pm
Shure SM58 around $100

www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm58-vocal-microphone

just my 2 cents

geposted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 6:42 pm
just a FYI ... i think with the SX since its a external mixer you will need to loop the audio back into a PC to broadcast the mic ... i may be wrong but i am pretty sure its one of those type of units maybe someone can verify i don't own one.

geposted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 6:53 pm
Thanks Wicked and both replies

I have the correct audio setup for using a mic through the SX sorted but its the quality of the mic that's causing me an issue (or so I'm told !)

geposted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 6:56 pm
soulboy1970 wrote :
its the quality of the mic that's causing me an issue (or so I'm told !)

So what are you currently using?

From what I can see, the mic runs through channel 3 or 4 of the mixer, and you say there's not much you can do with a 3 band EQ?

geposted Sat 20 Sep 14 @ 7:29 pm
Hi Groovin

Its an NJD mic - NJ750A.

I'm told that is doesn't sound very clear or loud enough, I have adjusted the gain and EQ's on the SX to try to improve it but it makes very little difference, I had similar issues on a Denon mixer I used so just thinking the only thing left to try is change the mic although the mic sounds fine to me when doing live gigs

geposted Sun 21 Sep 14 @ 5:05 am
An sm58 is a good mic to have. It is pretty much industry standard as a vocal mic, and can be used in many different situations.

Not familiar with the layout of you mixers. Does it have its own mic channel, and if so does your mic sound ok when you are running speakers, and not broadcasting. If it sound ok like that then it may be a setup issue.
Have a listen to what your mic sound like through your headphones, or maybe record a mix when using the mic, and play it back to see if you can hear the problem.

geposted Sun 21 Sep 14 @ 5:19 am
I can't find any info on the web for that NJD mic. Probably cheap & cheerful then I guess!

You know the saying "you get what you pay for"?..... :-)

For broadcasting I'd usually suggest a condenser mic like the AT2020 or even a ribbon mic (e.g. SE X1R) but the problem is the DDJ SX. There's no phantom power and the mic input will probably not be man enough for a ribbon mic.

It's possible to buy a phantom power supply box, but if you're spending money then you may as well buy a little mixer with phantom power.

OTOH you could look at something like the AKG C1000 which can be run from an internal 9v battery.

geposted Sun 21 Sep 14 @ 5:34 am
Thanks Guys for the replies - not even sure where I got the nJD mic Groovin but I agree it probably is a cheap one. I like the look and specs of the AT2020 and the price ! so will give that a try see if it improves things and take it from there !

Thanks again

geposted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 7:54 am
babblinPRO InfinityMember since 2005
SM58's are great. If you have a little more $ to pend, go with an SM7B. Very good broadcast mic for around $350.

geposted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 8:53 am
soulboy1970 wrote :
I like the look and specs of the AT2020

As stated, it'll need phantom power. You won't just be able to plug it straight into the DDJ SX.

geposted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 11:49 am
Noted ! sorry I misunderstood I thought the phantom bit was meant just for SE X1R - Is this the case for the SM models the other guys are suggesting as well ?

geposted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 11:58 am
I don't think an SM58 will give you much of an improvement over your NJD to be honest.

It's just a dynamic mic, and although fine for live use on the road (the old "hammering nails with it" stories!) it's not going to give you a nice warm sound for broadcasting.

For that you need something better. Wy not get the AT2020 and a small PA mixer with phantom power?

geposted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 12:06 pm
Ok thanks Groovin - I will take your advice on this and go for the AT2020 with a mixer so my next question is... could you recommend a small pa mixer ?? questions questions questions sorry to be a pain but I'd rather go on a recommendation from someone who obviousley knows what they are talking about than doing the old google searches and buying something not fit for the job so to speak !

geposted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 12:29 pm
Well if the goal is mainly to provide power for the mic then it doesn't really matter that much.

Something like the Behringer XENYX QX1002USB will take two mics and four stereo ins (so you could feed your SX into it).

It's also got effects (spice up your voice a bit!) and compression on the mic channels (good for smoothing out your voice when talking over music).

All for around £80.

geposted Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 12:50 pm
The whole point of have an SX is that it is self contained, putting a mixer next to it just so you can use a mic is a bit hardcore. I have had good reports about the SX mic channel, if I were you I would head down to a shop with your SX and plug a few mic's in and see what it sounds like, remember your mic is a heap of junk of course it sounds crap. The SM's are old and suffer with feedback, personally I would go for a super cardioid mic like the Sennheiser E845s.

geposted Tue 23 Sep 14 @ 1:59 pm
on live gigs Charlie i.e. output to speakers the mic channel is fine on the SX although it does need a volume button for the ducking but that's just a minor moan ! lol

The issue I have is for broadcasting only and as the signal is going via the SX to a PC this is where the degradation is, I know I have the right audio settings in place on both the SX and PC (thanks to guys on here) and the pc is pretty high end regards soundcard in particular, processor & memory ect

geposted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 8:52 am
Post a short recording of what you broadcast maybe the problem isn't the microphone at all.

geposted Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 10:21 am
87%