Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Skin designers please note............ - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

As an experienced DJ from the vinyl era one of the most important operations of a DJ is "browsing" through his/her record collection looking for a good follow up tune to the one playing. Therefore, the ideal skin should have around two thirds to three quarters of the screen for "browsing". If you have a piece of equipment/controller in front of you, why oh why repeat it onscreen? I don't get it. Seems to be an exercise in "showing off" graphics and has no place in the real world. Design your skin with the main purpose of DJing in mind i.e. finding and playing the best music for the audience. Thanks.

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 1:20 am
Many skins have the ability to shrink the player area and extend the browser with one click.

Bob also made GROM which was specifically for controller users.

Are you after something different to an extended browser?

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 2:02 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I think we have plenty of skins to choose from. I completely agree with you, but since we already have so many options, i wouldnt worry much and wouldnt point to skinners what to take into account and what not.
As a friend would say here, some prefer Cola and some Pepsi ;)

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 3:17 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Combat skin is a quite good example ...;-)

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 3:26 am
I am in agreement with.........all of you! :-)

Whilst it does frustrate me that so many people come on the forum seeking "a skin for the Piomark DDJ-NS7 mkVXII" meaning a skin that duplicates the hardware they've got in front of them (apparently thinking it's somehow a requirement), and some skinners spend lots of time making all the flashy knobs and buttons look ultra realistic, leaving five lines of browser as an afterthought at the bottom - I do also think it's a good idea to have a certain amount of controls available in case you need to use it without a controller in an emergency.

IWBNI the skin was able to display different things automatically based on whether or not a controller was connected, and what controls that unit has.

For example, the Numark DJ2GO has a crossfader and two channel volumes, but no EQ controls - so the ideal skin needs EQ but no volumes or crossfader.

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 4:16 am
groovindj wrote :
IWBNI the skin was able to display different things automatically based on whether or not a controller was connected, and what controls that unit has.

For example, the Numark DJ2GO has a crossfader and two channel volumes, but no EQ controls - so the ideal skin needs EQ but no volumes or crossfader.

You can do this thanks to some recently added code that I requested. My main purpose was so onscreen pads can represent the controller the user is using.
BlackSheepX coming along nicely ;-)

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 6:11 am
I bet that's not in the SDK! :-)

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 7:10 am
You're right it's not. Lol

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 7:16 am
Care to share?

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 7:22 am
To be fair it's always been there but for what I wanted I needed more flexibility.

visibility="get_controller_name & param_equals 'Numark DJ2GO'"

Has always been there. But now you can use param_contains:

visibility="get_controller_name & param_contains 'DJ2GO'"

Contains is necessary for when a user may have more than one controller connected.

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 7:31 am
This was in response to someone on the Facebook page that was "showing off" a skin that was a duplicate of the Pioneer SZ or something similar. It left about 3 lines for the browser and I thought "How could anybody work like that? and have they ever actually DJed before?". Seems to be, but not always, youngsters just getting into DJing.

For me even the default skin takes up a little too much screen real estate taking up half the display. I have been using djdad's SWAP 4DECKS on VDJ7 and VDJ8 over the past year which takes up a little less space than the Default skin. 2 weeks ago I switched to Controller by DennYo which takes even less screen space and, for me, is about the ideal size. Yes, I know on many skins you can switch to a full screen browser but I'm just looking at the default display.

PS Yes the Combat skin is fine, I've tinkered with it too lol

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 7:43 am
Another option open to skinners now (that I don't think anyone's done yet) is to have the non essential stuff in popup windows which can be moved / resized.

So the main skin would be browser & track info displays, songpos waveforms etc. and things like FX selection & knobs / buttons that weren't needed all the time could be in windows.

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 7:54 am
This is a pic from 2001 when I was DJing with a program called VTT (Virtual TurnTables) on Windows 98. Sorry it's not very good quality.
The left column was the folders, the highlighted folder showed the contents in the middle column. On the right is the mixer and two players. These were all separate windows and I DJed using the mouse long before controllers were invented lol.
This display obviously concentrated on the list of tunes rather than the controls, nothing fancy going on here lol.

Still have that mixer and the mouse lol.

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 8:05 am
I remember the early versions of PCDJ Red and its siblings (FKA Digital 1200SL) having a popup asking what type of interface you wanted, before the main s/w loaded.

I think VDJ used to do that as well.

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 8:22 am
Yep, in January 2002 I got my first laptop that ran XP, but, VTT would not run on XP and the developer (a student at Texas University) had stopped supporting the program. So, I got myself PCDJ Blue with the Numark DMC-01 Controller as a package for £199, then got PCDJ Red afterwards (the original Red).

geposted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 9:22 am
DJSoulman, I get it sort of.... but the question of "why" kinda aggravates me. The short answer for me is....

None of the current hardware allows us to see dynamic content. So, If I want to change out my samples, I still have to look on screen. It would be nice if buttons had dynamically changing text on it (Like Vegas Machines). But current, no.

Side note:
In theory, from your argument, NO DJ SHOULD HAVE A PIONEER DJ (Blah blah blah). Let's face it. Pioneer is backed by quality of coarse, but it's all about the eye candy!
If it were not, you would see Name Brand DJs with $100 gear. Some of the cheaper gear gets the job done better (IMO). But you'll never see Teisto or David Guetta without thier multi-thousand dollar pioneer gear.

Me personally:
It's time to step down from the heights of the DJ booth in the ceiling and start Djing on the floor. I'm quite capable of moving a packed dance floor and do not require "Eye Candy" it to make me a better DJ. But, sometimes, especially for the audience, they want to see bling!

Do you go out to the club in sweats? Why not? It's cloths and it covers your body. Hahaha.
No, you probably will wear the flashiest thing for your taste.

So, making a flashy" skin is like dressing for the occasion. It may not make you DJ any better. However, eye candy goes a lonGGGGGGG way!

As for functionality, I'm personally design a skin that will dynamically change to match my NS7II. When I need to change out sample, effects, loops, beats....etc, it will match my deck while still having plenty of room to browse. It will be both "Flashy" and "Functional"

In short, we don't need it. And, why should we need a computer to DJ anyway....right? I'm mean, wasn't it all about the vinyl at one time?

Also, think about the people who don't or can't lug around expensive gear. A touch screen monitor with a controller....your set!

Just my thought,
Cheers!
I

geposted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 8:29 pm
JameySewell wrote :
DJSoulman, I get it sort of.... but the question of "why" kinda aggravates me.

Don't see why this should aggravate you, it's a genuine question as to why anyone would want to waste screen space duplicating whats right in front of you in hardware. Seems totally illogical to me.

JameySewell wrote :

In theory, from your argument, NO DJ SHOULD HAVE A PIONEER DJ (Blah blah blah).

EH!!! I NEVER SAID THAT. That was NOT my argument, NOR a statement by me, you made that up lol. Go back and show me where I said that.

Makes the rest of your rambling pointless..... bling...... sweats........ flashy........

JameySewell wrote :
In short, we don't need it. And, why should we need a computer to DJ anyway....right? I'm mean, wasn't it all about the vinyl at one time?

Also, think about the people who don't or can't lug around expensive gear. A touch screen monitor with a controller....your set!
This is a contradiction in terms!!! "Why should we need a computer to DJ anyway............ think about the people who don't or can't lug around expensive gear"

I have been DJing for 38 years and been using computers to DJ with since 1998. I still have all my vinyl (and used a Pioneer DJM600 with a pair of Technics 1210s which I still have), if you are itching to DJ with vinyl then I'll sell you mine. There's approximately around $30,000 worth. You will need to send a large van........... oh, I'm in the UK BTW lol.

geposted Tue 10 Mar 15 @ 5:36 am
For me, skins always have and always will be, down to personal taste.

Some like seeing their controller replicated on the screen. I am however with Les on this one, its pointless, serves no purpose and wastes space.
The only thing in current controllers worth replicating in my option are the pads sections of controllers. It's good to know what will happen on a button press. Especially those with 8 or more different modes where the action is determined by the controller button graphic.

I'm working on a skin at the moment which does not replicate a controller but will be able to replicate the pad layout of the most popular controllers.
It already has multiple layouts with small decks and a large browser, along with larger decks and a slightly smaller browser. That being said even in this view the browser still has almost 50% of the screen real estate, and if you kill the rhythm view you gain another 15%. Many options ;)

geposted Tue 10 Mar 15 @ 6:31 am
DJSoulMan

My statement was kinda meant to be contradictory.

we don't need it was my point! but, it nice to have.
That includes VDJ! We don't need it to DJ. But I like it none the less.

We get so many options with VDJ that why does someone have to complain about screen space? If you don't like it, you can make your own or find another that suits your taste.

So when it sounds like someone is bashing another persons taste, it's aggravating. It sounded like you wanted policy in place. Yes, it was a valid question if it didn't come off as bashing or demanding.

geposted Tue 10 Mar 15 @ 6:49 pm
The skin by DennYo is also very good with a large browser.

geposted Wed 11 Mar 15 @ 4:11 am
83%