Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Drag & Drop removal saga! - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

The most simple request since day one of the release of VDJ8 was to bring back the Drag and Drop feature for removing songs from the Automix and sidelist. I use it frequently like many others throughout every gig I do. One example is there are many songs that I have been requested to play at a wedding function so I drop it in a player, quickly scan through it(especially if I don't know the song) and if I don't see it working out in the mix or it's too slow, etc I drop another song in the player. I go through my side list and there it is in my face again. Then the routine to remove it from the side list... Right click, click remove to get rid of it. Actually this Saturday I removed the wrong song because I was in a Rush, talking to clients, thinking of what to play next, etc. (DJing is similar to playing pool, you just don't focus on your next shot) This is a royal pain! And there are always other songs that ended up in my sidelist that I have to do the same to remove them. My finger is usually already on the left click of the mouse anyway. Can someone from VDJ company give me a real good reason why you don't want to add back the drag and drop feature. It doesn't make sense. Usually after my wedding dinner sets I restart VDJ and go back to 7 from 8 to DJ the rest of the evening as 7 is the same to me except the drag and drop remove feature. I DJ 6 nights a week at all kinds of functions. I think I have enough experience after 38 years of DJing full time to make a simple suggestion.

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 12:30 pm
One thing that would help is that if a song is unloaded to sidelist from a deck it won't appear if already there.

Sometimes my sidelist has the same song 3 or 4 times in it taking up space.

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 12:42 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
funkmasterfrank wrote :
One example is there are many songs that I have been requested to play at a wedding function so I drop it in a player, quickly scan through it(especially if I don't know the song) and if I don't see it working out in the mix or it's too slow, etc I drop another song in the player. I go through my side list and there it is in my face again.

Sounds like you don't want it in your sidelist, so turn off autosave unplayed, then it won't be saved in your sidelist. Alternatively use the preview player as that is what it is there for.

funkmasterfrank wrote :
Right click, click remove to get rid of it.

Or hit delete ;)

funkmasterfrank wrote :
Actually this Saturday I removed the wrong song because I was in a Rush, talking to clients, thinking of what to play next, etc. (DJing is similar to playing pool, you just don't focus on your next shot) This is a royal pain!

I can't really see how this would have been any different with drag-to-remove - you'd still have to click on the file and in this case it sounds like you would have still possible clicked/dragged the wrong one.

funkmasterfrank wrote :
Can someone from VDJ company give me a real good reason why you don't want to add back the drag and drop feature. It doesn't make sense. Usually after my wedding dinner sets I restart VDJ and go back to 7 from 8 to DJ the rest of the evening as 7 is the same to me except the drag and drop remove feature.

If 7 is the same as 8 to you and the drag-to-remove is a deal breaker, then I'd suggest you just stick with 7. To me personally drag to remove is counter-intuitive and slower than just hitting a keyboard key - plus you'd have to drop it somewhere that isn't a drop target for something else or you'd end up with files in folders/playlists you may not have intended them to be.

funkmasterfrank wrote :
I DJ 6 nights a week at all kinds of functions. I think I have enough experience after 38 years of DJing full time to make a simple suggestion.

The number of nights you do/years experience you have aren't relevant - anyone can make a request from home user through to an ultra VIP user.

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 12:43 pm
SBDJ wrote :
Or hit delete ;)

Not so easy if you are using a touch screen with no keyboard ;)

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 12:58 pm
I've got VDJ here on a 2K 12.6" touchscreen, drag to remove would be an absolute nightmare on that too. I've fixed the duplicate entries in the sidelist though :)

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:05 pm
Thank you Scott, that will be a big help. Guess it will be in the next beta?

Keith

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:09 pm
SBDJ, can you answer for VDJ why they don't wanna put it on VDJ8. It's the most requested item in all of the forum. Kradcliffe, I experience the same as you mention. It's annoying. SBDJ, About turning the feature off... Many times in the night for example I'm in a disco set and have a song ready to go, then I change my mind last minute and I know it's going to the sidelist. This way I know I won't forget to play it possibly in my next disco set later that evening. As for hitting delete after clicking on the song... I'm already clicking the song, now just swipe away! If I delete I now have to make another step to move my eyes and arm/hand to hit delete. Click, swipe, its gone, end of story. Yes your right SBDJ I could still have removed the other song by mistake. SBDJ wrote: To me personally drag to remove is counter-intuitive and slower than just hitting a keyboard key. My response: Really SBDJ, once you click on the song you want to remove just swipe the mouse in the north direction does not take longer than looking for the delete key. You may wanna take that argument back. SBDJ wrote: The number of nights you do/years experience you have aren't relevant. I wrote: Not for this question! But experience makes a person know the job better with time and they usually know what things can make work easier and better.

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:13 pm
And yes SBDJ I still do use VDJ 7 in most of all cases but I also enjoy a change once in a while. I need to keep up with technology and software so I use VDJ8 in small periods of time hoping I will find new updates and features. Dinner at a wedding is a good time to experiment with the new features of VDJ8. I am very comfortable and confident using 8 but there are a few issues and one of them being the Drag/remove feature is why I won't use 8 always.

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:22 pm
funkmasterfrank wrote :
It's the most requested item in all of the forum.

I don't think it is...?

funkmasterfrank wrote :
I'm already clicking the song, now just swipe away!

Just swipe away? You're dragging and dropping. The drop being crucial here. If you drag and drop upwards then you just move it up the list. If you drag it up further then you load it onto a deck. You'd have to hit somewhere that isn't a drop target.

funkmasterfrank wrote :
Really SBDJ, once you click on the song you want to remove just swipe the mouse in the north direction does not take longer than looking for the delete key. You may wanna take that argument back.

No, I may not, it is quicker for me personally to hit the delete key - especially since I don't tend to navigate using the mouse. But even if I was, I still think it would be slower for me personally since I would have to find somewhere to drop the file that wasn't going to make it do something else.

funkmasterfrank wrote :
But experience makes a person know the job better with time and they usually know what things can make work easier and better.

But only for that persons workflow.

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:27 pm
SBDJ wrote: I've got VDJ here on a 2K 12.6" touchscreen, drag to remove would be an absolute nightmare on that too. My response: Then make it a choice in options! There are already about a thousand! lol We all use different equipment and we all play differently. Give everyone the option. A happy client will bring more clients. At almost every gig someone curious comes to me and asks why I don't use VDJ8, I tell them the issues I have with it and then they understand why I use 7. People know your product very well! A home user is not comparable to one who uses it professionally. Like many of you out there I do video shows, karaoke shows and audio only shows. I know what I need for each one and the ease of use of each piece of equipment used on the job. If someone on the fly at a wedding gives me a usb key full of pictures and says can you have them fade every 8 seconds in alphabetical order I know to choose VDJ8 for that purpose. SBDJ, I don't honestly think mosthome users wouldn't need to know this stuff so experience does make a difference in any line of work

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:39 pm
SBDJ, a simple answer would be awesome instead you are avoiding my request twice for an answer. The only thing you are giving me is an answer as to how you as a user feel. Again, we are all individuals who need different things in life. Some people prefer blonds, some prefer chunky girls or guys, we are all different. I don't need to hear your argument about using VDJ8, I wanna hear why it cant be an option if many people have requested it. I have seen it on the forum many times being requested since day one of the release and zero has been done about it. If VDJ can make an option available it will be another issue to some that goes away forever. Don't you get it??

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:50 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Adding options is not 'free' either, even if implementing the option itself is relatively easy.
With every option added the options dialog gets more complex, there is an added risk of breaking things when making changes and troubleshooting/support gets more difficult and complex as well.

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:56 pm
I'm positive that if VDJ took a non-biased poll to people who have experience with 7 and have updated to 8 and are using 8 now would like to have at least the option to have the drag/remove feature it would win in votes

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:56 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you want an un-biased poll you should not limit it to users that upgraded from v7 to begin with ;)

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 1:58 pm
It's not something I ever used in version 7 but having visited the forum on a daily basis for some time I can see a lot of people have asked for this. It was one of the features that never made it over from V7 and a lot of people have asked for it back!

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:00 pm
Adion, I'll send a few bucks your way if you can add the feature to 8. So will many others. On a side note - if the price of meat goes up like it is in Canada right now so is the price at the grocery store and restaurants. I see some of the updates you guys do to 8 and they don't help me but they may help someone else. How do I transfer the funds to you?

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:01 pm
Kradcliffe wrote: but having visited the forum on a daily basis for some time I can see a lot of people have asked for this. It was one of the features that never made it over from V7 and a lot of people have asked for it back! I wrote: Not in SBDJ's eyes! And I guess the designers of VDJ

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:04 pm
Adion wrote: If you want an un-biased poll you should not limit it to users that upgraded from v7 to begin with ;) I wrote: You are right, your question just has to be very clear and un-biased. Just like Scotland did in the separation question! See I live in Quebec Canada where Politics is Biased so they made it a very complicated question many years ago. It still failed, We are still part of Canada. It would be just a simple damn option for a particular user like me. Where do I send the funds if an option is not free?

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:14 pm
You don't need to send funds.

I wasn't arguing that it hadn't been asked for, I was disagreeing with you on your assessment of it being the top request, and gave you some explanation as to the issue.

I'm sure something will be sorted :)

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:23 pm
Come on, you have got to be kidding me? Drag and drop keeps you from using 8? I am at a loss for words...................No I'm not , just kidding. You have been doing this for 38 years, how did you manage before software? Hey, to be fair, you are not alone. I see request on here for everything under the sun. I just laugh to myself. I don't want to have to use 2 mouse clicks, I need a short cut, then I need a short cut to that short cut. I don't like this skin, I need this color, when the software opens, it should know which club I'm in and configure itself. The list is endless. I've been doing this almost 50 years, and ask myself, how much easier do they want it and why? We are doing the same things we did years ago. How did I manage to talk to guest, find a song (amongst thousands of pieces of vinyl, that were not alphabetized), make a mix, play with lights (that were not computerized), take request, do line dances, talk on the mic, without drag and drop? Then I say, to each his own. We all have options. You don't use 7 because you can't load new pictures from a jump drive, and you can't use 8 because it doesn't have drag and drop. Drag and drop..........really? That is messing up your whole night?

geposted Tue 04 Aug 15 @ 2:25 pm
77%