Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Novice Dj's and VDJ scripts.

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
A quote from Beatbreaker "And I don't think a novice should be playing around with the scripts because that can lead to bad things IF they don't really have a grasp on how VDJ script works....."

Do not be afraid to modify your scripts, and investigate what they have to offer.
In the VDJ8 settings / controllers panel you will find an option to simply restore the original factory settings.
You will do no harm to VDJ8, or your computer.
Learn.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 10:14 am
Agreed, however there are a lot of DJs that really don't know what they are doing full stop.

I managed to get 5 of my friends on to VDJ, and a couple of them have screwed things up by tinkering with either the sound settings or mappers. They all have the MC6000 Mk1 with a custom mapper put together by me but one simple change can mean no sound or buttons not working and harm their gig. The factory settings thing is great but will completely wipe any previous custom mapping until it's reselected.

I have had calls at 2 in the morning, and one guy ran 2 miles to find me as the place I was in didn't have a mobile phone signal. He had changed a setting during the week and when he got to the gig he had no sound output.

Basically, yes it's fine to have a play about, but you must grasp the basics of how VDJ works first. The worrying thing is that a lot of users don't. I have been coming to this forum daily since 2008 and some of the questions asked are crazy. RTFM!

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 10:19 am
You could have saved a backup mapping with your optimizations.
Then a choice would have existed, restore to the factory settings, or your backup mapping.
You can save as many modified mappings as you wish.

Interesting kradcliffe, I see what you mean.
I'd guess that none of the people to whom you refer would come here to learn about mappings.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 10:39 am
kradcliffe wrote :

I managed to get 5 of my friends on to VDJ, and a couple of them have screwed things up by tinkering with either the sound settings or mappers. They all have the MC6000 Mk1 with a custom mapper put together by me but one simple change can mean no sound or buttons not working and harm their gig. The factory settings thing is great but will completely wipe any previous custom mapping until it's reselected.

make a copy of the settings-file, and rename it settings.xmlcopy or something. You can learn them to delete the original settings-file and remove the 'copy' in the backup, in case of an emergency.
For mappings good idea from Bigron. Make mapper '*STAYOUT'

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 10:58 am
They are all still on V7 so multiple mappings isn't an option.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 11:06 am
I think you can still save your mapping in VDJ7, but not only that, you can use windows file properties to make it read only.
You should find the modified mapping in the My Documents /VirtualDJ folder.
I've never done that, but I feel sure it works.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 11:27 am
Most working djs I know don't hang out on forums or there using the most stable version of whatever program there using.

I find for the most part the team does a pretty good job with the mapping so I've never really needed to go in and change a ton of things.

And yes I still stand by my statement, a novice shouldn't be jacking around with scripts unless they have a basic understanding of how VDJ script works and your welcome to quote me again and again

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 12:45 pm
Gone are the days when a DJ could adopt a "don't want to know" approach.
The modern DJ needs to be technically competent.

Do any technicians exist who offer specialized computer services for the DJ ?
I don't know any.
Your average Tech has no idea of what should be done to configure a computer for DJ use.
Thus for the most part a DJ has to do it himself.

A wise DJ might do well hanging around forums absorbing knowledge.

Every expert was once a novice.
Make learning a daily routine.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 1:08 pm
bigron1 wrote :
Gone are the days when a DJ could adopt a "don't want to know" approach.
The modern DJ needs to be technically competent

Believe me Ron, there are plenty of people on this forum who just about know how to switch on their computer and that's it. I'm not disagreeing with your point but it's plain that many are just not interested. If it works it's good enough. the problems come when it stops working .....

The beauty of VDJ is that the novice can use the basic install and mapping or the advanced user can do pretty much everything.

When I started DJing from a laptop in 1999 it was an expensive nightmare. now it's so so easy.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 1:46 pm
I'm trying to encourage the youngsters.
To challenge the current superstars they must start young, and never stop learning.

There will always be those who sit at the back of the classroom.
They will not be interested in things like mappings.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 2:00 pm
Actually there is a laptop company that makes machines for djs, I believe their called "rain" or something like that.

VDJ's script is a double edged sword, you can become so wrapped up in the tech side that you start loosing on the Dj side. Kinda like I got so wrapped up in making my video sets look good that I was missing stuff in the actul mix.

No matter what the music (sound) comes first, everything else is just a bonus.

As for the djs hanging out on the forums, it's probably not gonna at least the pros I'm talking about. When your getting 5/8 grand a show this is the last place they wanna be......

Don't loose track of what djing is about which is the music........

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 2:12 pm
Is that it, just one company making computers for DJ's.
You don't use them, you use Asus.
What about Techs, since you never mentioned any I'd assume their like rocking horse ...droppings.

I'm not just talking about the VDJ forum, I'm referring to all the forums, including Traktor, Serato, and Ableton.
The DJ's you describe are liable to become obsolete.

Pioneer cannot stop the advance of the computer.
They know that.
They have fully insured their future.
By creating the DDJ-SZ, and now designing their own software they acknowledge the DJ world is changing.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 2:33 pm
I doubt they'll become obsolete, lmao!! Tell that to Laidback Luke, hahahaha!!

But I'm done here, learn script and it'll make you a better Dj ........... Maybe

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 2:39 pm
I think you will find Laidback Luke will keep up with technical changes in our world.
I also think you will.

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 2:59 pm

geposted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 3:21 pm
"VDJ's script is a double edged sword, you can become so wrapped up in the tech side that you start loosing on the Dj side. Kinda like I got so wrapped up in making my video sets look good that I was missing stuff in the actul mix.
No matter what the music (sound) comes first, everything else is just a bonus."

This is the story of my year so far.
However I think the improvements in my rigs, and the technology I use have been worth the sacrifice.
I can't remember the last time I put a set / mix together.
I'm relying on old mixes, and "on the fly" stuff.

It's time to get back to the music !!!!!

Thank's for the reminder Beatbreaker.

For the novices I might like to post a major part of that story in pictures, I think it's instructive. My you, it was a little painful for me. It started with an almost infamous photo showing the placement of "coupled" bass bins, and led to big improvements in my rigs.

I took my decks out yesterday, this was to put a bit of blue water between myself and those using controllers ( everybody and his dog seems to have a DDJ-SX or something similar ). Hence I spent yesterday afternoon putting velcro ties on all the required cables, and ensuring the decks were clean, and dust free. Most of this year I've used a mc6000 which is still my first choice for most venues.

..and I've still got to do some heavy duty studying of Ableton.
Not to mention Traktor stems.

A DJ's life is not as easy as some may imagine.

geposted Sun 06 Sep 15 @ 11:04 am
Note: I'm even thinking of using vinyl and the new Denon interface. I can leave inexpensive decks in the venue ???
Well can I, and could I get inexpensive ones ?
That might create more blue water.

geposted Sun 06 Sep 15 @ 11:34 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
"A wise DJ might do well hanging around forums absorbing knowledge". There are so much to learn. I agree.

geposted Sun 06 Sep 15 @ 1:11 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)