Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: If you have experience in creating VDJ 8 skins, read me.

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to hire someone who has experience in creating a skin for VDJ 8.

In exchange for a custom skin I am prepared to compensate you for your time.

Any applicant must be able to take instruction and be able to perform the necessary edits in a timely fashion. I would prefer to hire someone with experience, and must prove experience with examples of work completed. A positive attitude and attention to detail are must-haves, and be able to deliver edits in a timely fashion.

I am looking to develop a single skin for VDJ 8, not to be shared with the rest of the community. An agreement of non-disclosure will be a stipulation of the job posting.

Please email any inquiries to musiconeeventdj@gmail.com and include a rough quote as to the time needed to complete the project.

Thank you for you taking the time to read this.

geposted Wed 27 Apr 16 @ 5:37 am
Hmmm...

How can anyone quote you (time or money) if you've not given details of your requirements?

Also, how many seconds/minutes/hours/days/month/years (delete as appropriate) is "a timely fashion"? If you're after a rush job then I'd assume the skinner will charge more than if you were happy for them to do it in their spare time - which is how most skinners work.

geposted Wed 27 Apr 16 @ 4:47 pm
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You're welcome.
Not me...

geposted Wed 27 Apr 16 @ 5:25 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
yeah, even if I could skin quicker than the snails pace, NDA, nah, if you've got good ideas share them.

Good luck anyway.

geposted Wed 27 Apr 16 @ 5:41 pm
There's no skin builder tool for VDJ8 so there are only a very small select number of people who would even be able to do this, and a good lot of them are Atomix staff.

Good luck finding someone.

geposted Wed 27 Apr 16 @ 5:43 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Well the poster wants to apply business practices for any potential freelance job applicants, taking this approach his inquiry will probably be reciprocated by applicants looking to be remunerated at the current professional rate to the industry in which they currently perform such duties as befits any anticipated working practice, not withstanding any contractual duties they are already partied to with any other parties that they are contracted to will bring about conflicts in any other understanding to which that they have thus far are under obligation to complete without penalty or duress to family or friends in which country they reside currently.

Me, I would have posted a pity me note pleading for help (as I usually do) and put one or two of my ideas out there looking for anyone who it may interest, then get together and thrash out your ideas fully.

Not wanting the ideas to be incorporated into any future skins by the skinner to share for the future benefit of the community, leads me to think of only two possible conclusions... the poster is looking at possible future monetary gain from the exercise or is selfish.

geposted Wed 27 Apr 16 @ 7:46 pm
groovindj wrote :
Hmmm...

How can anyone quote you (time or money) if you've not given details of your requirements?

Also, how many seconds/minutes/hours/days/month/years (delete as appropriate) is "a timely fashion"? If you're after a rush job then I'd assume the skinner will charge more than if you were happy for them to do it in their spare time - which is how most skinners work.

---- When I asked for an experienced 'skinner' I was under the impression that they could tell me how long it takes to (roughly) get to a working copy of a new skin. I have no experience in creating something like this so I was hoping to get a somewhat accurate time frame to build a skin. For example, if I were to ask someone to paint a picture for me, the artist would be able to give me a rough idea as to how long the project would be. That would give me a good idea as to how much of an investment I'm looking at.

djjb wrote :
You're welcome.
Not me...

Thank you for taking the time read this post, although I'm not sure why you felt the need to reply.

locodog wrote :
yeah, even if I could skin quicker than the snails pace, NDA, nah, if you've got good ideas share them.

Good luck anyway.

Thanks for your reply. Although you don't know if my 'idea' is good or not. I encourage sharing as well, but when I'm offering to compensate the artist for their help (and have been clear about wanting to keep the result to myself) I think sharing is my prerogative.

kradcliffe wrote :
There's no skin builder tool for VDJ8 so there are only a very small select number of people who would even be able to do this, and a good lot of them are Atomix staff.

Thank you for the informative reply! I thought they had released a version to skin for V8 (as there are skins for V8) but wasn't aware that they are Atomix staff (not that I would discriminate). Much appreciated for the heads up.

tayla wrote :
Well the poster wants to apply business practices for any potential freelance job applicants, taking this approach his inquiry will probably be reciprocated by applicants looking to be remunerated at the current professional rate to the industry in which they currently perform such duties as befits any anticipated working practice, not withstanding any contractual duties they are already partied to with any other parties that they are contracted to will bring about conflicts in any other understanding to which that they have thus far are under obligation to complete without penalty or duress to family or friends in which country they reside currently.

Me, I would have posted a pity me note pleading for help (as I usually do) and put one or two of my ideas out there looking for anyone who it may interest, then get together and thrash out your ideas fully.

Not wanting the ideas to be incorporated into any future skins by the skinner to share for the future benefit of the community, leads me to think of only two possible conclusions... the poster is looking at possible future monetary gain from the exercise or is selfish.

Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. I'm assuming that you are trying to be helpful with your eloquently laid out first paragraph (although I admit I had to read it a few times) I fail to understand why you feel the need to post?

I'm sure you would post a 'pity me' note but I want to compensate the person for their time.

In response to your final paragraph, I am NOT looking to get monetary gain from the skin i want. As much as you'd like to sit there and call me selfish for wanting something that I want to pay for and not share... I am not going to try and argue my motives, as you've already judged me based on my job posting.

In fact tayla, you haven't really contributed anything to this thread except to voice your opinion (and call me a selfish person).

geposted Wed 27 Apr 16 @ 11:38 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
The point I was trying to make was, this is a community and a damned good one at that. It runs mostly on the premise we all help each other with whatever skill or knowledge we have, then having gained that knowledge or skill hopefully at some point in the future you can then pass that experience on to the next person who requires some form of assistance.

Instead of trying to keep an idea to yourself, it would have been better if you had at least divulged some of what you are trying to achieve, it's very rare in forums of this nature and size that someone somewhere is or has in the past being on the same wave length as yourself and has reached out to the community and had a positive outcome to a similar request.

I would suggest you at least put some of the ideas you have here on this post, I would imagine you would then receive replies indicating either way whether those suggestions where even possible to implement into a skin or not.

But the best outcome of doing it that way is, everyone in the community benefits in one way or another from your idea/experience.

I hope you get what your looking for, but please remember, your idea you want to keep secret, just may have helped either one person or maybe's hundreds if not thousands in this community across the world.

The "pity Me" quote can be construed any which way you like, put was put in to bring things into context of the help that is freely and willingly given by members of this community, without that contribution this forum and other forums, would not be in existence today.

Good luck.

geposted Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 12:14 am
To everyone who read and replied (and emailed me) thank you. I appreciate the help!

geposted Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 1:21 am
DJ MikeRoss wrote :

---- When I asked for an experienced 'skinner' I was under the impression that they could tell me how long it takes to (roughly) get to a working copy of a new skin. I have no experience in creating something like this so I was hoping to get a somewhat accurate time frame to build a skin. For example, if I were to ask someone to paint a picture for me, the artist would be able to give me a rough idea as to how long the project would be. That would give me a good idea as to how much of an investment I'm looking at.

Actually you're asking someone to paint you "something", not "a picture of yourself" since you don't give any specifics. So, something can be a "line" or "an architectural representation of a football field".
A new skin can be complete within 2 hours, 2 days or 2 months depending on it's complexity and the features you want to include/show on the skin. Some skins are really never finished/complete either. V8 but Fruit, and #Silversleek 2 are two typical examples of complex skins that keep evolving and that they were NOT created within a week or two... I don't know about Fruit, but for me I cannot put a price tag on my work either. Finally good "experienced" skinners do what they do for their own fun and amusement. I have a feeling that you can't push that down to deadlines and NDA's.
I DO understand what you're after, but it comes down to whether or not you just want to get the job done, or you want a real "piece of art"
Take a look at great artists. Michael Angelo for example. Some of his work that today is considered to be masterpiece were NOT what his employers actually wanted him to do... ;)

DJ MikeRoss wrote :

kradcliffe wrote :

Thank you for the informative reply! I thought they had released a version to skin for V8 (as there are skins for V8) but wasn't aware that they are Atomix staff (not that I would discriminate). Much appreciated for the heads up.

There is a skin SDK available to everyone. Actually that's what Atomix always ofered. The SDK. The "Skin builder" was an application offered by a member of this community based on V7 SDK to simplify the process of creating a skin so that skinners would have to type less code. A V8 "Skin Builder" is not easy to do because of the way skins work on version 8. They are more efficient, but that comes with a small cost.
PS: For a person that understands basic programming techniques the new "V8" SDK is much much better, simpler and efficient than the old one. I would say that it even makes skinning easier as long as a person is prepeared to offer some of his time to understand the basics (a day or two should be enough if you wonder how much time it takes)

DJ MikeRoss wrote :
Tayla wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. I'm assuming that you are trying to be helpful with your eloquently laid out first paragraph (although I admit I had to read it a few times) I fail to understand why you feel the need to post?

I'm sure you would post a 'pity me' note but I want to compensate the person for their time.

In response to your final paragraph, I am NOT looking to get monetary gain from the skin i want. As much as you'd like to sit there and call me selfish for wanting something that I want to pay for and not share... I am not going to try and argue my motives, as you've already judged me based on my job posting.

In fact tayla, you haven't really contributed anything to this thread except to voice your opinion (and call me a selfish person).

I guess what Tayla wants to say is that we all here act as a community. All the skins shared here (beside the ones that simply resemble the pictures of true hardware) have more or less some "unique" features that another skinner may see them fit on their own skin and include them at his work at some point.
That's the general practice here, and if you take a closer look on the threads on this forum you will see experienced skinners helping other users (from simple users to other experienced skinners) to achieve their goals, or explaining how this cool feature is done in order to be used on another skin.

As I said above, I DO understand where you stand and what you want. You are here wanting to hire someone to do a job exclusively for you. Only that this is not a common practice on these forums and that's why you take these kind of answers. The common practice here is to share (knowledge, ideas, skins, code, everything but our wives and our cars... :P)

PS: In such an environment like these forums you can get better results with a different approach. Not so many years ago a skin was created for VirtualDj 7 that was based on ideas coming from this community. Search for it and it's thread to take a look how things evolved. It's name was "CDS4" (Community Driven Skin 4 (decks) Link)

geposted Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 6:54 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I don't know about Fruit, but for me I cannot put a price tag on my work either.
Priceless would I say, it's been two years of heavy brainstorming and development in my spare time, plus it isn't even finished yet. But I may not be a good example of doing simple-but-job-done skins.

geposted Thu 28 Apr 16 @ 9:13 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ MikeRoss wrote :

djjb wrote :
You're welcome.
Not me...

Thank you for taking the time read this post, although I'm not sure why you felt the need to reply.

I'm just being friendly.
I'm not going to spent a lot of time on skinning for just one person.

geposted Fri 29 Apr 16 @ 3:57 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)