Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Questions regarding mapping Pioneer DDJ-SP1 and VDJ 8.2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Just been setting up the DDJ-SP1 and have some questions regarding mapping and LEDs

1 - LED_LOOP_ENC_PUSH does not work. When you try to enter a value against this key nothing happens and the LED does not come on.

2 - LED_DECK_SWITCH_LEFT something wrong with this key, for example if you select "blink" it makes every LED on the controller that is on go to blink, if you select "on" it stops some commands working (for example sync & censor)

Also, can someone please explain how pad LED programming works with the new pad mode. Previously with my SX2 I could for example program the hot cue LEDs to be on constant by default and flash if a certain cue exists. Can't figure out how to do this now as the mapping has all changed to support the pad modes. Can't seem to be able to program this in the pad editor either.

In sampler mode the LEDs are dimmed in the background where in other modes they are off. Not sure where this is programmed. Also, what is the auto dim command for in pad editor?

Also, a more serious thing. A couple of times whilst working on the custom mapper, it has wiped all it's contents. Not deleted the custom mapping (it is still there) but all keys and parameters are missing. Nightmare!

Thanks!

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 6:34 am
Some remarks regarding SP1:

SP1 is an "old" unit. This means that it doesn't enter "Serato" mode automatically and you have to use utilities menu to select the mode of the device.

Until now VirtualDj was using the "Other MIDI software" mode. When "Serato mode" was active, some buttons did not work properly.

From the next build, the definition and mapper of SP1 has been updated to support all modes (including the advanced midi mode) offered by the device.
In fact from the next build we strongly recommend our users to switch their units back to Serato mode.

When Serato mode is used, a few buttons and leds have some limitations on how they can be used.
For instance, when you "blink" the deck switch led you are effectively blinking the hardware layers of the device itself (firmware of the device is responsible for that)

I would strongly recommend you to wait for the next build with the updated definition & mapper for SP1

As for SX2: The pads can still be programmed the "old" way. However, as you understand you need to program the correct layer.
We strongly recommend though to use the pads editor to program any changes you like for the pads (after all that's the reason pads editor exists)
On pads editor for each pad there's a "color" tab. That's where you set the action used to control the colored leds of a controller.
"Auto-dim" is a function for controllers that offer full RGB pads (DDJ-SX2, DDJ-SZ, DDJ-RZ and DDJ-RX does NOT offer full RGB colors. They offer a color table of 64 colors)
When you use auto-dim and you assign a color on action if the action returns false then the "dark" color is used on the controller. In other words, if you set hot_cue 1 to be "red" but hot_cue 1 doesn't exist then auto-dim function will turn the pad on with a darkred color instead of off.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 7:33 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
kradcliffe wrote :
1 - LED_LOOP_ENC_PUSH does not work. When you try to enter a value against this key nothing happens and the LED does not come on.

Thats because the unit is in the "Serato" mode and this LED has different Midi note than the one it has in the "Other" mode. We have updated the mapping files so that it will work regardless the mode, and it will be available in next update, but in the meantime, you can read the manual (the UTILITIES part) and turn the unit to the "Other" mode

kradcliffe wrote :
2 - LED_DECK_SWITCH_LEFT something wrong with this key, for example if you select "blink" it makes every LED on the controller that is on go to blink, if you select "on" it stops some commands working (for example sync & censor)

In almost every Pioneer unit, there are some things (LEDs and others) that will need to mapped very specifically and if mapped differently, the functionality becomes weird. The Leds of the DECK switch buttons fall in this case, so just leave those as mapped in the factory default mapping.

kradcliffe wrote :
Also, can someone please explain how pad LED programming works with the new pad mode. Previously with my SX2 I could for example program the hot cue LEDs to be on constant by default and flash if a certain cue exists. Can't figure out how to do this now as the mapping has all changed to support the pad modes. Can't seem to be able to program this in the pad editor either.

Dont change the mapping of the Pads (buttons or Leds). If you want to change something, open the Pad Editor and change the actions of a default page or create a Custom one.
If you wish to have a Custom pad page controlled by your unit, change the action of a Pad mode button, e,g, from pad_page 'slicer' , change it to pad_page 'MyCustomPage' and whatever actions each pad on this mode you want, just use the Pad Editor and change the Pad action.
If you need any help on this, let us know.

kradcliffe wrote :
In sampler mode the LEDs are dimmed in the background where in other modes they are off. Not sure where this is programmed. Also, what is the auto dim command for in pad editor?

thats by hardware design. Only the Sampler mode of the SP1 offers dimmed LEDs on "Off" state.

kradcliffe wrote :
Also, a more serious thing. A couple of times whilst working on the custom mapper, it has wiped all it's contents. Not deleted the custom mapping (it is still there) but all keys and parameters are missing. Nightmare!

I havent experienced this. Can you reproduce at any time and provide us the steps ?

EDIT. George was quicker than me :) Anyways, more or less what George wrote are in the lines of my replies too.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 7:40 am
Thanks for your replies George & Babis

As my custom mapper just got wiped (again) see above, there's no point me going and doing everything all over again if there are going to be major changes. I will wait until the next build and set it up again.

So what you are saying is that I should set the unit to "serato mode" and enable the "advanced midi mode"

I don't have the SX2 any more but just wondered what the differences in mapping the LEDs were, as the SP1 is somewhat similar. I will put the unit away until the next build is released then try mapping it again. I never realised you were working on it in the background.

Thanks for your help.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 7:42 am
Regarding the custom mapping wiping itself, it has happened twice this morning. Not sure what the steps were but it seems to happen while swapping between the factory default and custom. As I said the file is still there but everything is gone apart from the header data.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mapper device="DDJSP1" author="Atomix Productions" version="802" date="2016-06-16">
<info>http://www.virtualdj.com/documents/Pioneer%20DDJ-SP1%20VirtualDJ%208%20Operation%20Guide%20v.2.pdf</info>
</mapper>

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 7:51 am
Yes, thats an empty mapping file, but doesnt help us to replicate the issue. In fact, due to the nature of my job, i do custom mappings maybe 10 times a day, and never had this issue. but we ll keep an eye on this

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 8:00 am
kradcliffe wrote :

So what you are saying is that I should set the unit to "serato mode" and enable the "advanced midi mode"

No, please DON'T turn on "Advanced MIDI mode"
Besides the next build(s) of VirtualDj no other software or hardware supports this mode at the moment. We just wanted to make our definition "future-proof" in case Pioneer decides to use this mode for anything in the future.

As for Serato mode, you should switch the unit to "Other MIDI software" until the next build gets released. Once next build arrives please switch the unit back to Serato mode.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 9:01 am
Sorry, I meant when the next build comes out.

There's no point me using the controller at the moment so I will just wait.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 9:09 am
The controller should work fine right now in "Other MIDI software" mode though.
Pad pages are supported and all buttons and knobs work as expected.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 10:32 am
OK, but if I create another custom mapping will that need to be rewritten when the changes are made in the next build as there is a new definition?

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 10:37 am
It depends. For the most part, NO you won't have to redo your mapper.
Just don't map "SHIT_LOOP_ENC_PUSH" to anything, since in the new mapper (Serato mode) this is a firmware controlled button that enables video and changes the layer of "FX units" to Video Transition and Video FX.

Other than that the new definition & mapper should not affect your custom mapper since we kept backwards compatibility.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 10:45 am
Perfect, thanks once again George.

Will have another go mapping it later.

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 10:55 am
Changed mode on the controller and re-done the mapping and it's working fine.

Still struggling to understand how to program the pad LEDs in pad mode though.

In a normal mapping I could add something like "loop 2 ? blink 200ms : off" or "hot_cue 1 ? on : off" but I can't see how to do that within the pad editor (rather than changing the actual mapping for the LED). It allows you to change the colour (which isn't relevant to the SP1 anyway) but I can't see where to put the actual command.

Thanks!

geposted Thu 16 Jun 16 @ 3:45 pm
Guys, any more advice regarding how to program LEDs with the new pad mode?

I can set them the old way, for example "loop_roll 0.03125 ? blink 200ms : on" but can't figure out how to do this with the pad editor whilst leaving the mapping as is.

Keith

geposted Sat 18 Jun 16 @ 11:21 pm
For controllers without RGB colors, the Led of the pad will be ON depending on the true/false return of the assigned action.
In case you need to explicitly control how the LED will behave, you will need to manually add query="" to the page xml.
So open the page xml you will find in the Pads folder with a Text Editor and edit the lines of the pads like the following example...

<pad1 name="..." color="....." query="loop_roll 0.5 ? blink : on">loop_roll 0.5</pad1>

If you want to modify a default page (those will not be visible in the Pads folder) you will have to open the page with the Pad Editor and change/edit something minor. Once something is changed, the pad will be exported in the Pads folder (dont forget to put back what you changed)

Keep also in mind that the query="" will also affect the Pad on the skin as well.

Alternatively, you could also add this to the Push action inside the Pad Editor (without exporting). So something like ...
loop_roll 0.5 & loop_roll 0.5 ? blink : on
should work too.

geposted Sun 19 Jun 16 @ 10:27 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)