Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Android remote... one last time - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Okay, I just received my new (third) Android tablet this morning, so it's time to give the ol' remote option another try...

I promise this will be the last time that I'm going to bother you all with this, my last attempt, and if I don't succeed I'll simply forget about the VDJ remote...

INFO: I've installed the latest VDJ on my PC. I have made a firewall exception for VDJ. I have the latest Android installed on my tablet. I've connected the tablet with a high quality USB cable to the PC (I won't even bother any more trying to connect over WIFI or BlueTooth) . I've turned on USB tethering on the device. I started the VDJ app...

...and...

...nothing!

"Waiting for connection from VirtualDJ".

I mean... this is ridiculous! I'm talking about a CABLED connection and VDJ and the remote app can't connect???

Anyway, I tried to connect manually, but it merely gives the ip address with an "(error)" at the end.

Anyone any ideas what could be the culprit that's blocking the remote's connection?

geposted Fri 29 Jul 16 @ 6:35 pm
Oh, and I have Bonjour installed, of course!

Any of the android devs?
Or Scott?
Babis?
Adion?

geposted Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 2:15 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Are you on the same wireless network for both devices?

geposted Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 10:08 pm
He's trying to connect by USB, not wireless.

Must be a laptop issue as it works perfectly for me every time.

geposted Sat 30 Jul 16 @ 10:13 pm
That's good to hear, KR! Gives me hope. I'm on a PC, btw, not a laptop. I've tried several USB cables. The tablet says that the USB tether is active. And Bonjour is also white-listed in my firewall. I have no clue what could be interfering the connection...

geposted Sun 31 Jul 16 @ 10:22 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Have you tried to turn on USB-Debugging mode on your tablet? The standard USB mode on Android devices do not offer full usb functionality.

To acitve USB debugging you first have to enable development options. Do so by clicking 7 or 8 times on the build number in settings - about device menu.

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 1:23 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Deejay Corny wrote :
Any of the android devs?
Or Scott?

What's that supposed to mean? :p

The fact that you are having issues with yet another android device suggests that your problem is computer related.

If, whilst tethered via USB, you manually add the remotes IP address to VDJ does it work OK? If so, then network communications (over USB) are fine, and the problem is (again) bonjour related.

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 1:26 pm
@PatchN: One step in front of you, lol. Already tried that... but no difference. Thanks anyway! :)

@SBDJ: As I wrote in an earlier post, even manually entering the ip address will not connect the device to VDJ. I have bonjour installed without errors, and white-listed in my firewall... Should Bonjour appear in the device manager? As a printer or as a network?

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 3:00 pm
Are you absolutely 110% sure you're entering the USB tether IP address of the remote and not a different IP address of the android device? It will after all have an address per interface. IIRC the android tether address is usually 192.168.42.129 and you should be able to ping that from the command line on your PC.

What does the connect screen on the remote show?

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 3:53 pm
I'm entering the ip address the VDJ remote app shows. At the moment this is: "192.168.1.39:40519". I don't know if it's the USB tethering address, but that's the only address the app shows for manual connection. WIFI is off, by the way (yes, I tried it with WIFI on also, but no difference), since I'm not using it. On my PC the VDJ software shows the entered ip address with "(error)" behind it...

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 6:57 pm
I wanted to try to ping the ip, so I reconnected the tablet, and now it said the ip you stated: 192.168.42.129 with some random port behind that. All 4 packages were lost (100% lost), by the way...

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 7:00 pm
192.168.1.39 sounds like your WiFi address - if you try and connect to this over USB it will definitely fail.

If the ping fails then you have a communication issue between your PC and the tablet. Until you resolve that it will be impossible for the remote to work.

Try this:

* Connect USB to PC, enable USB tethering
* On PC open a command prompt and type ipconfig
* Look for an adapter that has an address starting with 192.168.42, check the default gateway (probably 192.168.42.129).
* On PC try and ping that address
* If it fails then on the PC disable ALL firewall, antivirus and antispyware software, then repeat the ping
* If it still fails then something is blocking communications between the two devices, but it is very difficult to say what...

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 7:09 pm
Connected tablet to PC (visible in Windows Explorer)
Turned USB tethering on
IPconfig did not yield the ip address you mention (only the router and two virtual networks from my Andy Android Emulator were reported)
Turned off Kaspersky and TinyWall
IPconfig again only reported the three ip addresses I mentioned before...

How can Windows Explorer see ( I have USB debugging enabled to copy files to and from the tablet freely) the tablet if something is blocking the USB connection?

By the way: most of the time the VDJ Remote app won't give an IP address, but will say "??:35870" or any other random port... Does that help you any in finding the culprit, Scott?

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 7:31 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd8T4_5kDQo

Disconnect your tablet from the USB cable. I'm not even sure how you are getting an ip address through the USB cable. Some tablets and phones will turn off wifi sharing or USB tethering automatically because they don't want you using your data plan for it. They want to charge you for the privilege. Following the video above, you don't even have to have an internet connection to create your network.

After following the steps in the video, connect your tablet to the wifi server you created, which will be your pc.

Now, your tablet and your pc will be on the same network. Keep your firewall and antivirus disabled for now.

Finally, try the wifi version again.

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 9:04 pm
Deejay Corny wrote :
IPconfig did not yield the ip address you mention (only the router and two virtual networks from my Andy Android Emulator were reported)

In which case USB tethering is not enabled/working. USB tethering is an IP networking solution, so will not function without a network adapter and IP address :)

Deejay Corny wrote :
How can Windows Explorer see ( I have USB debugging enabled to copy files to and from the tablet freely) the tablet if something is blocking the USB connection?

Because that's not a tethering connection, it's a file connection (MTP for example). When USB tethering is enabled, this connection is disabled. The fact that you can see the device in windows explorer tells me that USB tethering is definitely not working. USB debugging is unrelated to file copying unless you are using ADB to do the copy.

Deejay Corny wrote :
By the way: most of the time the VDJ Remote app won't give an IP address, but will say "??:35870" or any other random port... Does that help you any in finding the culprit, Scott?

Usually it means your device has no non-local useable IP address. So no Wi-Fi IP address and no USB tethering IP address.

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 9:30 pm
Here are a couple of screenshots:

Not connected:

USB tethering connected:

PING test:

Windows 10 Device manager shows the "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" :

geposted Mon 01 Aug 16 @ 9:42 pm
Now we're getting somewhere! You're right, of course, Scott: either the Windows Explorer shows the tablet, or the USB tethering mode is active. I did not pay enough attention, but they are mutually exclusive.

I have now the USB tethering activated. Should I do anything else on my tablet? Because an ipconfig on my PC does not report the USB network, like it does in your screenshots...

I would like to go step by step, so I first need to confirm that the tethering is actually working (it says so on the Android tablet, but not on my PC)...

geposted Tue 02 Aug 16 @ 1:47 pm
Looks like you need to install some drivers for your Android device... your PC isn't recognising it when USB tethered, so doesn't see it as a network interface, so no IP address...

geposted Tue 02 Aug 16 @ 1:59 pm
That makes sense. Yes, I saw that yellow mark aswell. When connected normally, the tablet's name is displayed, but when tethered, it just says android... I thought that was normal. So, are there special tethering drivers for the tablet? Because the ones it has were already installed (but obviously not sufficient).

geposted Tue 02 Aug 16 @ 2:03 pm
Right click it, go to properties, then Details. In the dropdown box select "Hardware IDs" and post up what it says :)

geposted Tue 02 Aug 16 @ 2:14 pm
80%