Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Newbie My First Set

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

ZeorayfHome userMember since 2016
Hey Im a newbie. I have been at it for about 2 weeks now. I feel like I got beat matching down ( I probably don't lol ) and I want to make a Good Practice set Maybe 30 mins to an hour to just Practice every day. Now Should I just Chuck all my favourite club bangers in a list and go nuts? any suggestions or even a list to start out? also how much of your set is preplanned ? Should I just have a basic list of songs or do you guys plan out all you transitions and loops and effects or just wing it? thanks

geposted Mon 22 Aug 16 @ 2:54 am
There are no rules. You don't need to do what others do. Do what you're comfortable with. Have fun!

geposted Mon 22 Aug 16 @ 9:26 am
As groovindj said, there are no rules. I have no idea what I'm going to play. This works best for me. Since you are just getting started, you will need to develop your own style. This will come with practice. You will also find out that what you may like, does not get the floor full. Even though I don't like some of the music I have to play, I LOVE what I do, and have found ways to enjoy myself.

geposted Mon 22 Aug 16 @ 8:05 pm
start with music you like and at a similar BPM, as your mixing skills get better , widen your music selection to make the transition more challenging

geposted Wed 24 Aug 16 @ 10:31 am
If you have differente kinds of music, techno, house, pop etc, just do some crossover (mix all kinds)
an example: "sweet dreams" from eurythmics and its "another race" from eiffel 65, both have the same key tone and rythm, but different kind. they mix well together.
later you will automatically come up with hotter mixes, one kind of music, without any trouble.
Listen to your songs, sleep with them, wake up with them, in the car, at work if possible, get to memorize them and
originality will come along.

geposted Wed 24 Aug 16 @ 11:24 am
OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Look at it as if you are a newbie in the stand-up comedy field.
Your first few gigs as a comic will let you know immediately if you are on the right track when you hear the crowd respond with laughter. If you hear crickets chirping you bombed.
Same in the DJ field.
Your fill the floor-- you're doing good.
You empty the floor -- Time to start rethinking that next mix.
There are no "safe" sets. Each and every venue, party, or special occasion you gig for has different elements.
Hate to say it, but your comfort level will only come with time and a few empty dance floors as your best teachers.

geposted Wed 24 Aug 16 @ 4:42 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There are loads of different ways to learn,

Starting in the vinyl only days I had about 20 records and mixed them every way I could, you should find your ear for what works and what doesn't. When I bought new records I'd already have an idea what would work with what, but I'd still mix all the new tunes with my older tunes every way I could as there are always surprises [like tracks you'd think are too busy to go together but are a harmonic match]

just practice lots and remember your tunes.

geposted Wed 24 Aug 16 @ 5:05 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)