Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Moving from the UK to Canada

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi everyone, been a member for a while, never posted much, but really appreciate the wealth of information on here. I do have a question now...

So, I'm moving from the NW of England to the West of Canada, not too far from Vancouver. Now, as well as other skills I possess in order to gain employment, I have DJ'd for almost 30 years. My question is, has anyone else made the move to Canada, what did you find were the biggest differences in terms of music for the general masses? I do mainly mobile, weddings etc but also pubs, bars, lounges, and the odd club not to mention karaoke. Not a huge talker, certainly not a presenter style of DJ, I use the music, right volume, right time etc. Obviously I'll find out the hard way when I get there in a couple of weeks however if anyone has any experiences they would like to share I would be most appreciative.

And naturally, I will still be using VDJ.

geposted Sat 27 Aug 16 @ 10:50 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Good luck to you mate, what are you doing with your rig? Shipping it over, storage or selling it off?

geposted Sat 27 Aug 16 @ 5:04 pm
Thank you, Selling it all hopefully. I'll buy again over there if I need to.

geposted Sat 27 Aug 16 @ 5:28 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I'm sure the taste in music will be locally different, but to get a rough overview the iTunes Charts is a good idea:
http://virtualdj.com/cloudlists/index.html

Just select Canada and a genre and click on the iTunes symbol.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:01 am
i lived in Montreal almost 20 years. I believe Montreal is the nest, the underground of what will be hotter in the next few years.
Might be the fact of its french culture wich is also a lot attracted by european music styles.
but its only a personal opinion.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 1:12 pm
I believe toronto is canada s "city that never sleeps" (they still close at 3 am..)
its the biggest city, lots of music genres and international music influences
But i admit montreal (second largest city) has its one of a kind glamour.
you might need to learn a bit french but montreal's downtown is pretty much bilingual.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 1:39 pm
You will get what you want mate. Best wishes.

geposted Tue 30 Aug 16 @ 1:13 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Welcome to Canada!

If you aspire more on the mobile side, I think joining an association will move you forward quicker.
That of course is after you've completed the paperworks as a small business operator.

Goodluck!

geposted Wed 31 Aug 16 @ 3:44 am
Thanks for all the replies everyone, and the welcome. I'm moved and have set up as a photographer, but looking into the DJ stuff now. Couple of people I know have contacts here so I'll follow them up first. Good idea about looking at playlists etc.

geposted Sat 01 Oct 16 @ 10:20 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)