Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Do all sound cards work with V DJ ? Which are the Best Sound Cards for Virtual DJ ...? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Ever since I bought V DJ I've been using the controller Hercules RMX 2, which has great sound quality do to the sound card that it has inside (24bit/96kHz). The controller has good functionality and amazing built quality ...!

The problem is that in some venues, there isn't enough space for a MIDI Controller, either because the DJ booths are to small or because there are many DJs playing with there own equipment and there isn't enough space.

To solve this problem, I was thinking of buying an external sound card and use it instead of my Controller whenever there is a space problem at a Gig, I'll need one anyway for other reasons ...

I was thinking on spending around the range of 100-220 euro.
But I don't know if all sound cards are compatible or work well with Virtual DJ ...?

For instance, 2 sound cards that I've seen good reviews on are from Native Instruments, Audio 6 and Audio 8.
The problem is that it seems like they are designed to work better with TRAKTOR and less with VIRTUAL DJ.
Could this be true ...?
If so, I'll avoid this company ...!

Another company that I've seen is FocusRite with the sound card 2i4 that has excellent built and sound quality as I read, but it also has a lot of stuff I don't need on it.

Which sound cards works better with Virtual DJ ?
Or do all sound cards work the same despite the software that is being used ...?

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:48 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
The native instruments sound cards are a good choice and they work with VDJ 100%.
I'm still using an old Audio 4 DJ in my DVS setup and never had a problem.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:52 am
I'm glad to hear that PachN,

Native Instruments gave me the strong impression that it only worked well with TRAKTOR and it seems like a good quality company !!!

Thank you for your help :-)

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:58 am
If the audio interface (external ones are not 'cards') works with the operating system on your computer, then it will work with VDJ.

In other words, if the computer recognises it, VDJ can use it.

What's the best? Well you won't get the best for 200 Euros, but it will certainly be better than something built in to a Hercules controller.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:55 am
Thanks groovindj for your help :-)

which audio interfaces would you recommend that don't exceed my budget limit ? if 200 euros is not enough ...?

The maximum amount I think I could spend is not more than 250 euros, but I don't think I will need anything more expensive judging from the equipment (stereo system) that most clubs and bars have nowadays ...

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 11:52 am
In my opinion the choice should be made by you, because only you know your own needs or requirements.

Don't choose an interface based on price or on someone elses advice. Buy it because it has the things you need.

For example, how many inputs? How many outputs? Whay type of inputs/outputs (line or mic)? What type of connectors?

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 2:19 pm
mrdjalPRO InfinityMember since 2009
SpBlackCat wrote :
Ever since I bought V DJ I've been using the controller Hercules RMX 2, which has great sound quality do to the sound card that it has inside (24bit/96kHz). The controller has good functionality and amazing built quality ...!

The problem is that in some venues, there isn't enough space for a MIDI Controller, either because the DJ booths are to small or because there are many DJs playing with there own equipment and there isn't enough space.

To solve this problem, I was thinking of buying an external sound card and use it instead of my Controller whenever there is a space problem at a Gig, I'll need one anyway for other reasons ...

I was thinking on spending around the range of 100-220 euro.
But I don't know if all sound cards are compatible or work well with Virtual DJ ...?

For instance, 2 sound cards that I've seen good reviews on are from Native Instruments, Audio 6 and Audio 8.
The problem is that it seems like they are designed to work better with TRAKTOR and less with VIRTUAL DJ.
Could this be true ...?
If so, I'll avoid this company ...!

Another company that I've seen is FocusRite with the sound card 2i4 that has excellent built and sound quality as I read, but it also has a lot of stuff I don't need on it.

Which sound cards works better with Virtual DJ ?
Or do all sound cards work the same despite the software that is being used ...?

SPBlackCat
I use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 , yes it does have features I don't need, but my M-Audio external did not have good drivers for Win 10.
The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 works well.
I use it when ever I do not have my rack with my Denon controller, that has a built in sound card.

Al

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 3:25 pm
Thanks for the advice groovindj,

I will do so, that is why I'm doing a little research on this matter, so I can make a proper choice.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 6:24 pm
mrdjal,

FocusRite Scarlett 2i4 is one of my top choices, the other one is Native Instruments Audio 6.

I've seen excellent reviews on FocusRite and the fact that it has updated drivers for windows 10 shows that it is a serious company that fallows the flow of technology.

The other audio interfaces that I've seen so far from Numark, Behringer and M-Audio did not leave me with a strong positive impression ...

Thanks for your help Al :-)

geposted Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 6:33 pm
If anyone else has any suggestions for a good Audio Interface for DJing or other opinions upon the matter I would really appreciate it.

I have learned a lot the past few days on this subject and would like to share it with you.

geposted Fri 02 Sep 16 @ 6:46 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Another suggestion? RME

but be prepared to spend some hundred or thousands Euro.

But if you are on budget native instruments card is the way to go.

geposted Fri 02 Sep 16 @ 9:49 pm
Yes RME is a popular choice at the upper end, but Focusrite is probably the biggest seller for use with a DAW.

Neither of the above are really aimed at the DJ market but they're both good brands.

geposted Fri 02 Sep 16 @ 10:00 pm
PachN,

I checked out the RME interfaces, they are brilliant and have excellent reviews, but the equipment that most venues that I play at (bars, clubs etc) do not reach the standards to justify the sound quality that RME can provide you with.

That's why I limited my budget to 200, 250 Max, I really don't think that I'll need something more expensive.

But thanks for you're help

geposted Tue 06 Sep 16 @ 7:43 pm
groovindj ,

another popular brand that I've discovered is Novation.

the Novation Audiohub 2X4 audio interface is aimed specifically for DJs, it's a cooperation between Novation and FocusRite which are sister companies.

It also has a powered Hub with 3 USB ports on it so you can connect other interfaces and instruments.

The only problems are:

1) That it doesn't mention in the specs and in the reviews if you can connect an external HDD or Flash-drivers on the powered Hub so you can read your audio files from there.

2) It officially has drivers up to windows 8.1 and I don't know if they have updated them for windows 10.

If the above 2 are OK, I think I'll buy this interface ...!

If anyone has any information for the above 2 things that trouble me for the Novation audio interface I would really appreciate it.

Or any information and opinions regarding this audio interface.

geposted Tue 06 Sep 16 @ 7:57 pm
1) It's a hub. It shouldn't matter what USB devices are plugged into it. It's powered too, so should be more than capable of handling a hard drive.

2) I was going to suggest visiting their forum, but I just found that it's closed. They apparently respond on 'social media' now. Twitter is @NovationHelp

geposted Tue 06 Sep 16 @ 8:14 pm
groovindj

that is exactly what I was thinking about the powered Hub, but sometimes you never know.

Some people also consider it wise to only have the music signal going in and out of one USB port and the audio files from another, for better sound quality and latency issues.

The Novation Forum is shut down ... That is a bit strange, I don't have a twitter account but I'll see if I can find them on Facebook.

Before I decide to buy this specific interface I'll have to be 100% sure that the USB ports on the device will be able to read a HDD or a flash-driver with low latency and without causing any sound quality issues. I also want to find out if the drivers are updated for windows 10, or else I'll probably choose another interface.

FocusRite 2i4 2nd Gen and Native Instruments Audio 2 MK2 and Audio 6 seem like a logical choice so far ...

The only problem with FocusRite is that it's only USB bus powered and it doesn't give you the option to connect a power adapter.
This is a problem because in most Clubs and Bars they have a lot of things plugged into one power socket causing the electrical current not to be stable.
So it would be useful to have an audio interface with its own independent power supply.

geposted Tue 06 Sep 16 @ 8:56 pm
SpBlackCat wrote :
So it would be useful to have an audio interface with its own independent power supply.

That depends on you. I hate adapters, and try to use as less as I can. If something happens to the adapter(sooner or later), then what? Which means you always have to have a backup.

I know you are worried about space, but so do I. I also have a RMX2, and use in tight spaces. However, no matter where I am, I make space. If it's my first time at a venue, I visit it before hand, either in person or have pictures sent to me, so I know what I'm dealing with. I just have this outlook that I will fit into any booth. I had the same confidence when I carried a desktop and 23 inch monitor.

If you just want an audio interface, any of the ones mentioned will do you good. However, just remember who you are playing in front of. Most of these people don't have a clue about superior sound. Their life of music revolves around a cellphone with inferior earbuds. I have been in some upscale clubs with internationally known DJs, and the sound system sounded like shet. As long as you have high bit rate media, the RMX2 will sound great.

geposted Tue 06 Sep 16 @ 9:32 pm
I doubt the Hercules Rmx 2 has the sound quality that you think it does. It will be good but not that good.

I have the Novation audiohub 2x4 featuring Focusright converters inside, it's specifically designed for Dj's/performing producers. Focusright also have a 4 out Scarlet 2i4 which I'm hoping the hub is equal to in quality. I did find it strange that Focusright and Novation were really the only companies offering the 4 RCA outs, aimed at laptop Dj's. Focusright, Novation are extremely close companies. I'd of thought the 4 out scarlet would of been dropped from the range, sending those wanting a decent interface for Dj'ing over to Novation.

Before the Hub the 2i4 filled a gap. So many good quality project studio interfaces, 2i2o, but nothing offered the same quality for Dj's, with the essential 4 RCA outs (Enter the 2i4). It's like the other manufacturers were blind to it. If you wanted multi outs you'd have to buy bigger, with more ins and pres, stuff you don't need. The only other option of usable quality was by NI for Traktor, everything else available was/is cheap tat.

I suspect in the future we will see a rise in 2i4o 2i6o... Especially as the next gen studio kids are wanting multiple monitors for referencing but have no intention on buying hardware that needs recording.

geposted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 2:52 am
The reason it has a USB hub is mainly for Mac users. They only have 1 port. If they want to use any controllers, pads, knobs, they will need to plug a hub into that port, power the hub and also power the audio interface. With the Nova Hub you reduce the amount of cabling and power you require. The audio interface itself will run unpowered but you won't get the excessive headphone gain it is capable off or be able to use the Hub.

If you don't use a mac, you could easily connect what ever needs connecting to the other USB on the laptop.

I'd love to know for sure how the D/A in this and the 2i4 match up, i asked questions when choosing but didn't get very far. I was convinced to go Audiohub but 2nd gen hadn't come out yet. To what level of converters did Focusright put in this thing.

geposted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 3:30 am
mitchiemasha ,

The old generation of Focusrite have a sample rate up to 24bit/96kHz with Low Latency.

The 2nd Generation of Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 has a sample rate up to 24bit/192kHz with even lower Latency, the lowest in the market.

I've seen fantastic reviews on it's pristine sound quality, built, functionality and it has won 2 awards so far for it's mic preamps !!!

You mentioned mitchiemasha that you have the Novation Audiohub 2X4.

About the powered Hub,
can you connect on the USB an external HDD or a Flash-driver so it can read your audio files ?
(without Latency issues or Sound Quality problems)
or are the ports just for other electronic audio interfaces ?

I'm interested in buying it if the ports can be useful with HDD and Flash-drives.

geposted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 2:19 pm
50%