Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Making a 4 deck skin for the remote app could any one please help me out with a problem i am having - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

evening all i am wondering if i could request a little help on a skin i have been working on i have already done most of it but have come accross a problem when testing it.
The skin it self loads and works fine its a visual/display problem i am having with the 3rd and 4th deck i will post a few pictures of the skin and have highlighted the problem i have come across and a couple other pics as examples of my idea
Ty for taking the time to read this

geposted Thu 02 Mar 17 @ 12:08 am
dose not matter i have sorted it lol

geposted Fri 03 Mar 17 @ 11:28 am
this looks great, is the skin for the remote app?will you be kind and share the skin with the community?
thank you

geposted Tue 07 Mar 17 @ 9:42 pm
yes it is for the remote app & I will gladly share it with anyone that would like to try it out
as soon as i have completed 1 or 2 little things on it

(also doing a 2 deck display too)

geposted Wed 08 Mar 17 @ 11:49 am
looks good, nice and uncluttered..

But can I ask, how are you connecting your tablet to your computer?
If i use direct USB tethering i dont get any remote lag, but using any type of wireless connection then the waveforms stutter randomly and buttons dont always respond..
(dosent matter if its on an ad-hoc connection or using a dedicated spare router Wireless N)

geposted Sun 19 Mar 17 @ 3:25 pm
Dj~!NN@~B0X wrote :
I will gladly share it with anyone

There are two problems with that:

1) It's not your skin (the original).
2) It's not an official VDJ skin, downloaded from here.

If you're going to modify someone elses work, then redistribute it, you need permission from them.

Atomix won't be happy if you start sharing stuff that isn't available officially here.

geposted Sun 19 Mar 17 @ 3:36 pm
ok ty for the info i was under the impression that it was not a problem as long i wasnt trying to charge people money for them also how am i going to get any better at making them if im not allowed to give them to anyone to try out and tell me what mistakes ive made because at the moment im teaching my self by taking other skins apart to see how others have made theirs and even corrected their mistakes when ive found them and occasionally deleting the odd swear word or two some have added inside the xml files lol
also i have messaged one or two authors about the edits ive made from their skins and offered them copies of my edits if they think they are good enough too submit its their decision after all my edit of their skin is still their property at the end of the day too do with as they want

geposted Tue 21 Mar 17 @ 5:25 am
It's Atomix policy - simple as that.

I speak from experience.

geposted Tue 21 Mar 17 @ 6:19 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Which skin is it based on, and why is it not possible to simply ask the author of that skin for permission to share your work?

geposted Tue 21 Mar 17 @ 6:29 pm
marksmolinski wrote :
looks good, nice and uncluttered..

But can I ask, how are you connecting your tablet to your computer?
If i use direct USB tethering i dont get any remote lag, but using any type of wireless connection then the waveforms stutter randomly and buttons dont always respond..
(dosent matter if its on an ad-hoc connection or using a dedicated spare router Wireless N)

i have just been using a virgin media hub connected to the laptop via ethernet cable and wireless connection to that with the ipads

geposted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 12:02 pm
Adion wrote :
Which skin is it based on, and why is it not possible to simply ask the author of that skin for permission to share your work?

this one made from a skin by DjKaos2012 i had to buy it from his web page and communication was hard then so im not sure if permission will be given or my messages be answered

geposted Wed 22 Mar 17 @ 12:48 pm
Im curious,
Why do i have to get permission if i wanted to submit this skin too virtual dj if the author got it from a Pioneer XDJ-RX controller display.
I did not take anything from the skin that is their creation,
I only used the display from it which he copied from the xdj-rx controller.
so im not sure if permission needs to be given or dose it ?
The only problem i can see is that its a pioneer display from one of their controllers and virtual dj may not except it because of that.
(just wondering)

geposted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 10:27 pm

geposted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 11:35 pm
Dj~!NN@~B0X wrote :

Why do i have to get permission

Because the skin is his work, not yours.

He created the original version.

I assume you did not write the entire XML from scratch, and draw all the graphics yourself on your version?

You just "borrowed" it from what he'd done. So therefore he's the original author.

Even if you did re-write the XML and re-draw the graphics, you'd still be plagiarising his original.

geposted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 5:29 pm
groovindj wrote :
Dj~!NN@~B0X wrote :

Why do i have to get permission

Because the skin is his work, not yours.

He created the original version.

I assume you did not write the entire XML from scratch, and draw all the graphics yourself on your version?

You just "borrowed" it from what he'd done. So therefore he's the original author.

Even if you did re-write the XML and re-draw the graphics, you'd still be plagiarising his original.

but surely the original is pioneer dj`s because its the xdj-rx display did they get permission from pioneer to use their display and sell it on their page ?
i give up ill just keep doing them for my self i didnt see any harm as ive never claimed them as my work and always named the original author ive edited my skins from in all the videos i post on my youtube page and never once tried asking for any kind of payment for them ohh well ...
thanks for the info groovin you been a big help

geposted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 6:14 am
It's really not that hard to understand.

Pioneer didn't write the skin or draw the graphics. DJKaos did. It's his hard work.

If he's selling it then clearly he's looking to make money from his work, so I should imagine he wouldn't be too happy for someone else to be redistributing it free of charge.

Personally I think your time would be better spent designing your own skin from scratch that's more suited for use on a tablet than pictures of turntables, mixers or CDJs.

geposted Mon 03 Apr 17 @ 6:03 pm
so basicly if i take a hd photo of an xdj-rx display with no tracks loaded on it and use that as my skin display background and add my own xml too it you can no longer give me any reasons why it is his work ?
(because i have used a photo of a real xdj-rx display as my skin and not his artwork)

geposted Tue 04 Apr 17 @ 11:50 am
groovindj wrote :
It's really not that hard to understand.

Pioneer didn't write the skin or draw the graphics. DJKaos did. It's his hard work.

If he's selling it then clearly he's looking to make money from his work, so I should imagine he wouldn't be too happy for someone else to be redistributing it free of charge.

Personally I think your time would be better spent designing your own skin from scratch that's more suited for use on a tablet than pictures of turntables, mixers or CDJs.

i would love to make my own from scratch
the thing about making your own skin is you have to understand all the code for the xml side of the skin but getting help from people on here is like flogging a dead horse it gets you nowhere
i have tried asking for help once or twice before i asked for help on this skin your commenting on and got ignored
& once on making a skin with just a mixer on for the remote app & more or less got laughed at by you and a few others only making comments like you cant see any point in it, & why would i want it or commenting to each other with things like ohh its just for show,
Not one offered any real help or advice on how to go about it just like leaving comments like them above putting other`s ideas down & people off learning how too make their own
no worries as i wont be posting anything on here anymore & ill keep teaching my self it may be a slow progress but its still quicker than getting help here

geposted Tue 04 Apr 17 @ 12:50 pm
I feel bad that I haven't been reading these forums for many years and missed so many posts. I feel bad that I still am checking them pretty regularly in the last couple months since I've been writing plugins and skins, and still missing many posts (or not responding because I don't have the expertise in an area or opinion). I think you got it wrong though. Sometimes it's the way we communicate that gets misinterpreted. Many people definitely want to help and many can be in the same boat as you in the fact they want to write code to extend capabilities (whether for themselves or for others.) Not all programmers have time or the expertise in a particular area to help others. I'd like to always help and add my 2 cents when I have a passion for something and (think) i have a clue to what the answer might be. You can't say everyone on here wants you to not prosper in wisdom, aptitude, cleverness or whatever positive traits define you. (or evil traits you might have like me mwa ha ha ha)

Some of the posts so far in the thread are just protecting you and the authors that might have taken so much time to create code and graphics. It's definitely frustrating at times how policies work but it's not like we (as a group) intentionally try to target you or anyone else for not understanding or expressing their feelings on how recognition and permission operate, or anything else for that matter. We all have personalities and some might laugh at something said while others might growl but that's life in general but we're all here to share our thoughts to try to extend the use of Virtual DJ. If we all went quiet, then nobody would know what we should improve and how to make our lives easier or better with these tools.

I don't know of the nicest people that don't get frustrated at times for things they might not be able to control. I hope you reconsider as well as anyone else happening to read this post who held back speaking their opinion, ideas no matter how crazy they may be. Imagine a world where everyone was the same. I just can't.

Thanks for listening everyone....

BTW Dj~!NN@~B0X, how did you know it was for sale. I don't own that unit but it's interesting how you found out.
and @groovindj how the heck did you know it was based on that too.. Some people are just gifted... (or spend way too much time playing lol)

geposted Tue 04 Apr 17 @ 2:46 pm
Mr Box, IMHO the best way to learn skinning is to do exactly what you've been doing.

Have a look behind the scenes and figure out for yourself how a skin goes together. It's how I figured out enough to start modding skins (I've not made one from scratch yet) and it's how many skinners on here progressed. Staff members who skin are lucky enough to have access to (presumably) documented stuff that we only get to see much later - E.G. browser splits.

You should check out djdad's Skin Builder (available to all users).

@nassausky Mr Box has limited access to official skins due to his LE license, so I guess he's been scouring the internet for other sources. ISTR he posted once saying he's got hundreds of skins - well they didn't come from here.

DKKaos did originally post some preview pics of that skin here, but then I guess he decided to sell it rather than share with other members here.

geposted Tue 04 Apr 17 @ 5:04 pm
50%