Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Advice on DMX controller

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi all,
I am looking for a DMX controller to use with my simple setup of some lights and lasers. If possible to even control fog machine or other external equipment would be nice.
I have for instance looked at the:
Stairville DMX-Master 1:
https://www.thomann.de/se/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm?ref=search_rslt_dmx+controller_168962_42
This seems to be a simple unit with good price, which can also control fog machine.
I need to change basic settings of DMX lights, colours, etc

Any other advice would be appreciated.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 8:06 pm
Have you looked at any software such as Show Xpress??

You could have it running behind VDJ and then use an iPad or Droid tablet to control everything.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 8:08 pm
Yes, that would be an option.
More costly than separate DMX controller though.
What I need is a very basic way to change the lights.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 8:19 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
This kind of DMX controller is probably the most popular choice for a DMX beginner. Most of us have started using such a hardware - I had and used one in the past -
and later went with a DMX USB Interface and a DMX software, which definitely provides more options and features.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 8:37 pm
What I need is a simple solution to control a few light fx. No need for me to go very advanced at this time even if I know PC based solutions will be more flexible.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 9:37 pm
Then yeah the option you posted will definitely work for you.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 9:45 pm
IMO the negative thing about DMX software is the need to have "fixture files" which are required for each different light you have.

Similar in a way to VDJ mapping, these files tell the software which channels do what, the colours, the gobos etc. If there isn't a fixture file for your particular light included, then you have to either write your own (too complex for some people) or scrounge one off someone else - as long as that person uses the same DMX software and has the same light(s).

OTOH with DMX hardware controllers you just plug your lights in and program. Mind you the programming can be daunting at first!

FYI I've got both DMX hardware and software.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 10:26 pm
You really think the fixture definitions are that much of a problem ?

The only time I've come across that problem is using that new sound switch box but they've been in the process of updating a lot of the fixture definition so it's actually getting better.

geposted Wed 19 Jul 17 @ 11:17 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
that much of a problem ?

How much of a problem? I only mentioned it as something that can get in the way, compared to using a hardware unit.

Really it depends on what DMX software (some may be better supported than others) and what selection of lights he has.

He may get lucky and pick a s/w that already supports every light he owns. How likely is that though?

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 7:03 am
Personally I would recommend Freestyler DMX software (free) over many commercial and rather expensive solutions.
To use Freestyler you need a DMX dongle. One of the cheapest is Enttec Open DMX which is 55 EUR / 65 USD / 50 GBP

This solution would provide you 512 DMX channels (one universe), you would be able to get it up and running in just a few hours, and it would be expandable in the future to handle any type of DMX lighting fixture and even program an entire professional show.

PS: For simple fixtures, you could use some "generic" pre-made fixtures that come with Freestyler Library. Later down the road if you ever get a fixture that's not present in Freestyler's library, all you need is the fixture's manual to fill in the "Fixture Creator" app of Freestyler and make your own fixture...

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 7:31 am
groovindj wrote :
IMO the negative thing about DMX software is the need to have "fixture files" which are required for each different light you have.

That's true only when you want to program serious light shows.
A fixture file tells the software which DMX channel is used for what (e.g. channel 1= gobos)
If you don't need that information in order to program your show, all software can provide you a "generic" DMX fixture with any number of DMX channels you require.
Then you control the DMX values directly with "sliders" instead of icons and presets.

PS: For most DMX controllers like the one the OP posted, the same issue is present as well.
In order to program a fixture on a button the console needs to know which fixture it is. In other words you need to upload fixture files on the console itself (because it doesn't know which DMX channels are used for PAN/TILT, or which channel is used for colors e.t.c.)
The only consoles that doesn't need to upload files are the generic DMX controllers like this one:
https://www.thomann.de/se/botex_controller_dmx_dc_1224.htm
However these consoles provide limited control on "smart" fixtures, and you are always limited to a small number of DMX channels

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 7:40 am
Phantom, I could not find a way to upload 'fixture-files' to the DMX controller I was posting.
Probably I have to refer to the user manual for each fixture and apply the DMX channels necessary to reach the certain functions for each fixture, right ?

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 9:43 am
User manual can be found on this page: http://www.sublevel.lv/rent/manuals/Gaismas/DMX_control/Flash_dmx_master_manual__SubLevel.pdf

If you read the manual, the controller uses a "generic 16 DMX CH configuration" for all the connected scanners.
This means that the "PAN/TILT" joystick won't work properly with a lot of units since there's no standarization for the DMX channels used for this purpose. Not to mention that some units have 16 bit PAN/TILT and others 8 bit (4DMX ch and 2 DMX ch respectively)
With a quick glance on the manual I can't find any info on what DMX channels are controlled by the Joystick

Edit: On page 16, there's a method to program which DMX channels are controlled by the Joystick.
Still, I find this solution much more expensive and harder to use than a software solution like Freestyler. Not to mention limited as well...

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 10:11 am
In my experience, simple "generic" DMX controllers (like the one you linked to) are completely self contained and don't need anything uploading to them. They just need programming.

Yes you can literally connect a light, move the faders and have basic control - but if you want a "show" then you have to create (and save) each step or scene into its internal "sequencer" which runs the show in a similar way to an animation. Each scene is a still picture, but when run in sequence it creates movement.

I made two YouTube videos in 2007 about this. Google for groovindj dmx and you'll find them. I also taught briansredd via a Skype call, and he then made further videos.

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 10:19 am
Everything is "Self-contained" these days...

Here's a "generic" controller that allows you to edit or upload fixtures :
https://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmx_invader_2420_mk2.htm

It's actually quite common to use "fixtures" on hardware consoles as well. But only on mid-range controllers and upwards.

Our discussion here is not about fixtures profiles. One way or another you HAVE to program the console / software to know what kind of light fixtures you have connected in order to handle them properly.
There's not a simple "connect & play" solution for DMX lights except for PAR Cans and perhaps RGB washers.

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 10:57 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Everything is "Self-contained" these days...

What I mean is that it does the job on its own, without the need for "uploading files" etc.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
But only on mid-range controllers and upwards

So not relevant to this thread. MrJackson used the word "basic" and the word "simple" in his post. I don't think he wants to spend 500 Euros.

We don't know what lights he has, so based on what he said, let's assume they're not 3500 Euro, 21 channel Martin Rush heads.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
you HAVE to program the console

That's exactly what I've been saying. Basic control (what he asked for) is possible, but you need to program it if you want "shows".

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 11:37 am
Before programming shows, you need to program the console to know it's connected lights.
Even if you don't plan to do shows, and have just 1 static scene...
Also the lights themselves need to be programmed. And you need to set the start address on each one based on the console's guidelines.
Finally, if you have a fixture with more than 16 DMX CH you end up loosing a "scanner" button, or you end up with a partially working fixture...

As for uploading:
My argue was about the fact that you said that software has a con that it needs light fixtures to operate. And I'm trying to say that consoles need that too one way or another.
You can upload a file on some or edit a generic preset on others. However, on both cases you need to instruct the software/console what light you have and how it should use it's DMX channels.

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 11:45 am
I am greatful for all your advice
The freestyler and enntec interface is a sweet solution but I am sure the simple dmx controller suggested on top will be enough for now.
Until today all my lights have been ran in standalone mode so whatever I do will upgrade LOL

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 11:52 am
FigDj1PRO InfinityMember since 2017
Joining the conversation a little late.
It might interest you to take a look at the ADJ DMX Bridge. It allows you to control everything from and Ipad or Iphone on a private Wi-Fi Nettwork. It is very easy to set up and you can go as complicated or simple set up as you want. That is what I am using now and my light set up is
2 Chauvet Circus IRC
2 Chauvet Cubix
2 Maya BB lasers
1 Chauvet Scorpion RGB FX
2 ADJ Royal Blue lasers
1 DL-55C for beam laser
2 Chauvet Intimidator 155 duo
I control it all from my Iphone.

geposted Thu 20 Jul 17 @ 1:37 pm
Wow this seems very involved for setting up but I think i've got it. I'm late to the convo and also new to lighting. Would you guys recomment the Chauvet DJ SOUNDSWITCH for a DMX controller? I'm looking at Freestyler for the software as well. https://www.zzounds.com/item--SNSSOUNDSWITCH

geposted Sat 27 Oct 18 @ 3:17 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)