Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: upgrade from vdj 8 plus controller to pro

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

tba64ControlleristMember since 2017
...sorry for asking, but no faq and no search is answering this...

i have a licence for one controller, paid 99 dollar (or around 120 euro) and think about upgrading to pro infinity. but after loggin in i only see 299 dollars for the pro maximum license, like every new customer would pay. but with an existing license there should be some advantage, right?

thx for any help,

greetings, karsten

geposted Thu 14 Sep 17 @ 9:01 pm
I don't think you can "upgrade" as in "save money on the pro license" because you have a plus license
You can of course still buy the pro license

geposted Thu 14 Sep 17 @ 9:04 pm
thx klausmogensen,

but this would be very disappointing. i don't want the pro license as a gift, but when you are already a customer of a not very cheap license, you should get advantages for upgrading further. this is usual and fair in the world of software.

if i had to start from point zero because i want to extend my hardware zoo, i would think twice, if i want do this with vdj - there is a market out there...

mmmh.

geposted Thu 14 Sep 17 @ 10:06 pm
tba64 wrote :
thx klausmogensen,

but this would be very disappointing. i don't want the pro license as a gift, but when you are already a customer of a not very cheap license, you should get advantages for upgrading further. this is usual and fair in the world of software.

if i had to start from point zero because i want to extend my hardware zoo, i would think twice, if i want do this with vdj - there is a market out there...

mmmh.

Well, don't kill the messenger :)

I think that the idea is, that the pro license it the last license you'll ever have to buy, because it covers all controllers and all updates

geposted Thu 14 Sep 17 @ 10:52 pm
No, no offense aginst you, of course ;)

Perhaps someone official knows more. Of course, usually you pay more money, when you start with a small licence and upgrade later to the biggest - instead of entering the biggest one from the start. But always you have some discount for upgrading, for not feeling like a new customer or getting a penalty, because you started small.

I plan to try a nonsupported, but fully midi compliant controller (fader fox dj4). I could buy another controller license and pay next 120 euro - okay so far, i chose this licensing model before. But because the controller is not in the list, the better and future proof license would be "infinity". So where is the fair bait here for existing customers, to use the best license?

Instead, I think about using Mixxx instead - I did not build a large database in VDJ so far and can still switch. And with an "open" controller like Faderfox there should not be compatibility issues (even under Linux) like with my Korg Kaoss DJ

So, at least, Atomix is sending me away instead of making the higher license attractive. I don't mean, Infinity is too expensive itself, VDJ is a great piece of software, but it's definitely NOT worth 400 Euro (not Dollars) for Upgrader. Sorry, no.

It's a pity.

geposted Fri 15 Sep 17 @ 10:39 am
Hello!
Same question. Just bought a mixtrak platinum to start playing, and look out how it works. So, first thing i noticed, is that i am compelled (sorry for my english) to use serato, which is not my pleasure (It do not read flac, and more questions) . So, the vdj that i used with mouse, suddenly was no longer available for use with controller . At this point, i bought the controller version of vdj, because it was not in the budget at that time, and i would really improve the license to pro infinity if at least have some deduction of the full price, let';s say the half of what i payd for the controller version, so i do not feel completely foolish. Could not Atomix give 6 month to make some discount for upgrades to full version?
Thanks, and best regards

geposted Sat 16 Sep 17 @ 7:53 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009

geposted Mon 18 Sep 17 @ 8:01 am
Depends. Staff is answering questions in this (official) community from time to time.
At least I have some answer and my question seems to be nontypical. I can contact Atomis later, for the moment I check out my alternatives. VDJ will stay the tool in my first setting with my first controller.

geposted Mon 18 Sep 17 @ 2:34 pm
What you have to consider is that with VDJ, once you've paid for the full license you will not have to pay again.

Yes, many (not all) software companies allow discounted upgrades from a basic version to the full version - but when a new full version comes out, you pay again. I know this from experience. Steinberg use this method with Cubase. Ableton use it with Live.

The Atomix policy is "pay once for the license and get new versions free". That's a big advantage.

geposted Mon 18 Sep 17 @ 5:04 pm
groovindj wrote :
What you have to consider is that with VDJ, once you've paid for the full license you will not have to pay again.

I know, but I pay more, if I paid already for a controller license. That's strange.

Quote :

Yes, many (not all) software companies allow discounted upgrades from a basic version to the full version - but when a new full version comes out, you pay again. I know this from experience. Steinberg use this method with Cubase. Ableton use it with Live.

Depends on the software, yes. There is no law, how this has to be done, of course. But Cubase and Live play in a way bigger price level and at least there are the competitors to VDJ, who are less pricy. And 400 Euro for Upgraders is... no, sorry, it's "only" a dj software with some update obligation and additionally a kind of "always on" feature... so you are driven to alway have the newest version. Dunno, if Cubase and Live to the same?

Quote :

The Atomix policy is "pay once for the license and get new versions free". That's a big advantage.

Depends - not everybody is bound so much on one software. Who knows, how good Version 9 will be? Perhaps Atomix is boosting the subscription price model like so many other companies and there is no reason anymore for fair upgrade szenarios.

At least it seems, that I have my answer - VDJ is expensive when you want to be flexible. And I have to decide, if this is okay for me with my actual experiences.

geposted Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 7:44 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Well, I guess you came a little too late to the party then.

Before VDJ 8 you could get a max of 50% discount of the Pro Full price (depending on your controller or licence you bought).
I never understood why they changed this

geposted Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 7:47 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If your controller comes bundled with a VDJ 8 LE license, there is still a discount when upgrading to either Plus or Pro.

geposted Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 9:30 am
Oh, too sad @PachN. So perhaps they have reasons now...

Adion wrote :
If your controller comes bundled with a VDJ 8 LE license, there is still a discount when upgrading to either Plus or Pro.

Thx Adion, my controller came with Serato Intro. Which I don't want. So I was a loyal customer already! Okay, no more whining here.

geposted Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 9:40 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)