Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best way to use VDJ to organize music files stored on multiple hard drives?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

vjboyPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I was wondering how you guys use VDJ to store your music on multiple hard drives so that the files and associated metadata (BPM info, etc.) remain the same across each hard drive.

In my case I have all my music files in two folders on one hard drive; Folder one contains all remixes and folder two has only radio edits. I'd like to use VDJ to start breaking up these thousands of songs into sub-categories such as "Old School", "Hip Hop/Urban", "Latin", "Dance Hits", etc. so that its easier to find a particular genre.

I'm not sure if I should use Playlists, Virtual Crates or something else. Basically I want to create all my sub-categories and metadata once and have it saved so that I can still find it if I make back-up copies on other hard drives.

One of the problems I noticed in the past is that sometimes if I make changes to the metadata for a music file within VDJ it doesn't always transfer over if I copy the file to another hard drive. BPM data is an example of this.

Any suggestions you can offer to address this question would be much appreciated!

geposted Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 4:56 pm
I have two main laptops I use to DJ with and a 3rd as a backup.

As long as your music is in the same structure (for example C:\Music\) then you can synchronise between computers using an external hard drive.

I use Robomirror to sync my music folder and my VirtualDJ folder between machines and it updates the music files and VDJ database, folder structure etc. in seconds. You can also selectively miss out certain files if you want (licence.dat and settings.xml if you wish)

All depends on your setup and requirements. Everyone is different.

geposted Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 5:03 pm
Download the 'My Library' plugin, that should be a massive help.

Coupled with that use discogs to update your tags. Can be found in Tag Editor button to the right of the filename.
It's not perfect, but, it is a massive help.

Highlight each database and recurse then enter the Tag Editor to use discogs, probably an overnight job.

Copying/transfering files is best done within VirtualDJ with File Operations (right click in browser) to preserve BPM, Key, etc.

geposted Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 5:06 pm
vjboyPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Thanks for the replies so far. So is no one using "Virtual Crates"? I'm not sure I understand their purpose.

geposted Thu 16 Nov 17 @ 6:23 pm
vjboy wrote :
Thanks for the replies so far. So is no one using "Virtual Crates"? I'm not sure I understand their purpose.

This is from the manual:
"Virtual Folders are an alternative option to Playlists. The great advantage of using Virtual Folders instead of Playlists is that they are part of the VirtualDJ Database and get updated if any track is renamed, moved or deleted. A virtual folder contains a collection of shortcuts to the files and not the actual files themselves. Adding a file to a Virtual Folder will not move it from its original folder (path) as it contains only the paths of the files."

geposted Sun 19 Nov 17 @ 1:08 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)