Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ideal playlist to "warm-up" guests.

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi,
Im having a big party in my house and quite a lot guests are gonna be there.

What would be your best "playlist" to warmup 25-to-50 yo guests ?

Some tell me about lounge music, but the older ones might not like it and will go for old pop music to get in the mood

what should i play to please all that people ? post your playlists here. I would be very grateful :)

Sergio.

geposted Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 6:56 pm
This is what I know. People only hear the music that they don't like. I don't know what the makeup of your crowd will be, and if I was doing the gig, I would not have a playlist made up. However, since you are doing the gig, I would add a little of this, and a little of that, sprinkled with some of this. Don't stay on one genre for more than 10 minutes. You know these people, lounge music is good, so is some pop, with a little soft vocals, and covers. As long as it's not 20 minutes of stuff they don't like, most will not be listening. Hearing and listening are two different things.

geposted Wed 08 Nov 17 @ 8:16 pm
From what i've seen (because im not enough experienced)

Many start to warm up people (all ages) with oldies, disco, 80s but not to much "party style" only soft music to put guests on the mood
Then they continue with 90s stuff, pop dance, house and so on, till the real electro, or techno takes the lead..As much as its popular music and not underground music that nobody (the older guests) dont know about...

geposted Fri 10 Nov 17 @ 1:51 pm
DJingMinds wrote :
Hi,

what should i play to please all that people ?

Sergio.

This will never happen. Always all the time someone is not pleased.

geposted Fri 10 Nov 17 @ 2:46 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hm..don't ask us, ask the people coming to your party. Do a survey. They know best what they like!
Music is so diverse that you need feel the vibe of the venue on the night and then respond accordingly.

geposted Fri 10 Nov 17 @ 3:36 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Warm up depends on what you're warming up to.

The best advice I've heard is keep it familiar, folk generally want to chat and meet in the starting hour/s, don't push the volume.
Have an idea what will/should work, (hits from the ages) occasionally risk playing what you think might work.
As the liquor loosens everyone up, you can raise the volume and make it a bit more to your tastes.

geposted Fri 10 Nov 17 @ 6:43 pm
bigron1 wrote :
Do a survey. They know best what they like!

No they don't. Wrong answer. If he did this, he would not need a playlist, just ask for request. Raise your hands, if you go out and ask 100 of your guest what they want to hear? Just as I thought, no one raised their hands. Most of the people that ask for request, don't know the name of the song they want to hear. "You know the song that's on the radio, or the one that guy sings". Come on stop this craziness. If you are a DJ, you know what these people want to hear, just by looking at them. Unless you don't have the experience. A variety of easy listening, some of the hits from today and yesterday or yesteryear. Low volume, continue to increase the BPM. If they are coming to your house, they are probably not total strangers. Don't stress out about this, and remember you can only play one song at a time, but make it count.

geposted Sun 12 Nov 17 @ 8:32 am
bigron1 wrote :
Do a survey. They know best what they like!

No they don't. Wrong answer.

This is the kind of pompous "I know what's best for you" attitude we get out of a lot of DJ's. I've spent my life absorbing the different types of music that people like..I doubt I play one song I liked as a young man. I learned from thousands of people and their suggestions. Often they know songs which are compatible instinctively. Many are very, very intelligent and you ignore there comments at your peril.
Always seek feedback and comments.

..and it's always different depending on the type of people, tailor your music to the night.

Still after all these years I learn..the young taught me a new song (for me) and last night I found it also worked well with the middle aged in the right setting.

I'm forever asking, girls in particular, what music do you like?
I don't stop.
..and no I'm not a sex pest.

geposted Sun 12 Nov 17 @ 1:46 pm
bigron1 wrote :
the young taught me a new song (for me)

What was that then? Teach us too.

geposted Sun 12 Nov 17 @ 2:16 pm
Cola
CamelPhat & Elderbrook

LOL ..you've got to remember I often play stuff like Mustang Sally, and the Real Gone Kid.
I somehow got there by beatmixing at @128bpm using 90's Cream type stuff..and then moved through the 2000's.
The other thing is I almost always use video.

I doubt it will be a classic that I'll play more or less forever such as Show Me Love.
It could have missed the target last night..if so I would have got rid of it quite quickly.

Note: I'm not teaching you..I'm saying get the vast numbers of people who love music to help.

geposted Sun 12 Nov 17 @ 2:28 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Don't stress out about this, and remember you can only play one song at a time, but make it count.

This was interesting.
I often get requests to play a song once again. Because it's so 'damn good' everybody wants to hear it.
Most of the time I actually follow that, how do you guys do ?

geposted Sun 12 Nov 17 @ 6:59 pm
MrJackson2014, since you quoted me, let me explain. When I said "Don't stress out about this", I mean this is cocktail hour. He knows most, if not all of these people. Keep it light and simple. This is background music, treat it as such. Some will be listening, but most will just hear it. When I said "and remember you can only play one song at a time, but make it count", I meant it literally. If 100 people make a request, (that's just an example) you can't play them all at once. Your choice should be based on "How many people can I please with this one song". This comes from experience.

Now to your question about request. You are in a club, and start playing at 8pm. At 8:30 someone ask for Despacito, you play it. Someone comes in at 8:50 and ask you for the same song. Do you see where I'm going? This is going to go on all night. So I ask you, how many times are you going to play that song? Let me tell you how I deal with that. I am in a club 3 nights a week, from 7pm till 1:30 or 2:30. I play that pucking song ONE time. I'm sorry, I got a little emotional for a second. I don't give a shet if you just got here. I have 8TB worth of music and videos, that I paid for. The owner does not pay me to play a song over and over again. OK, I may have played it twice on 2 occasions, and it was a different mix (I remember because that person did not particularly like the mix I played),Too bad. If you are doing a private party, you play what the person that's paying you, wants to hear, up to a point. Now, you may work in a club, and have to play whatever the owner says. I don't work in those types of clubs.

I say this all the time, you don't tell a plumber, how to fix a leak. You don't tell me what to play. If you have some specific request that you need to here, I will accommodate you. I am not an iPod. When you saw me playing and the floor was packed all night, you said, "Let me get his card, for my party". I was doing what I do best, making people dance. I don't need any assistance. I am also a Bio-Chemist and a Cosmetologist. I don't ask for help to figure out a formula, or relax hair from my clients. That's what they pay me for.

That's how I run my business, in a nutshell. Some can call me "Pompous, arrogant, egotistical, or any other negative adjective they want. They can stay in their lane, and not get run over. I don't give a shet. You can also call me experienced, in demand, and most of all, successful.

I am 65, and have been listening to music all of my life. I have been a DJ for 50 of those years. I have developed a great deal of experience. I got that way by not just keeping up, but by being aggressive and innovating. I spend a lot of time and money on research. I don't just buy songs that I like, but what I know and think my clients will like. I have music that has never been played before. I have music I don't even know I have. I get PrimeCuts every week, I don't even listen to it, because I am a video DJ, and spend most of my time, looking for videos. I almost did not get Despacito, because I don't play Reggaeton below 90 bpm. But I listen to every video, on every video service that I subscribe too.

I can only tell you what works for me, and most of the professional DJ's that I know, and they are not standing around waiting for the guest to tell them what to play.

This post was way too long. Now to my subscription services, because I have to play tonight, and need new music, that the guest will love, because they are tired of hearing the same music.

geposted Sun 12 Nov 17 @ 8:28 pm
I am always open to listen to more experienced DJ’s than myself. After all I have only played 20 years so I might be regarded as newbie.
I agree with everything u say AMAHM but I might be a little bit easier to ’buy’ than you and if a cute girl come to my booth and asks for Despacito I never say no to play it. ;-)

geposted Sun 12 Nov 17 @ 10:30 pm
This is not just about a warm up playlist..it's about how a DJ goes about learning what songs may work.

AMAHM so how did you start learning 50 years ago?
I accept you now have vast amounts of experience to base your song choices on..but what about those who don't?

I got that way by not just keeping up, but by being aggressive and innovating. I spend a lot of time and money on research.

This sounds like a salesman's cliché "aggressive and innovating". Hm..being aggresive and innovating..so how does the newbie do this? The newbie often can't afford to spend lot's of money on a hobby. What type of research? It does come down to research so how should we conduct this research?
This is a key question "How many people can I please with this one song". An excellent AMAHM point but without experience it means nothing.
This topic is about song selection and it must have been covered countless times before..it's fundamental to our work.

With respect to playing a song more than once..I have one main rule "entertain the crowd". Hence I will play a song more than once if I think it's what the crowd want and I'll tell them on the mic what I'm doing. If they don't like it or won't dance I'll just backspin out and play a stomping classic. Just talk to the crowd. I'll even ask them over the mic if they want to hear it a second time. Talk to people, you're supposed to be DJ's.

Just a thought..the future computing systems in my opinion will never be able to replace a human DJ who communicates with the crowd.

geposted Mon 13 Nov 17 @ 3:27 pm
MrJackson2014 wrote :
I am always open to listen to more experienced DJ’s than myself. After all I have only played 20 years so I might be regarded as newbie.
I agree with everything u say AMAHM but I might be a little bit easier to ’buy’ than you and if a cute girl come to my booth and asks for Despacito I never say no to play it. ;-)

You see how I just skipped over that last post, and quoted you? That's because it was more nonsense, and again off topic, which is about playing warm up music for your home party. The guy that started this thread, is a home user, and was specific in the information he was asking for. He may be comfortable playing the rest of the party, just needed some help to "WARM-UP" guest.

Anyone over 10 knows (or should know) that you only get experience by doing over and over again. You will fail, and make some mistakes, but you learn from them. I personally will not let a doctor that just got out of med school, do open heart surgery on me. I want someone who has done it many times. The same goes for DJ's. I am not paying a DJ to do my daughter's wedding, who does not have the experience. What part of that is so hard to understand? This is why they have apprenticeship programs in all fields, meaning you will have to learn how to do things, before we let you go out on your own. If you don't have the experience to DJ a function, you should not get paid to do it. If you are young and inexperienced, tough shet. You will need to get that experience just like the rest of us, you can't just read about it.

This gentlemen is not charging for his services, it's his house party. He asked for some help, and a few of us gave him some great advice. Some went off the rail, (again) with a bunch of nonsense. He knows these people, it is not a major issue. So, if he follows the direction that some of the more focused members gave him, he will be fine.

As for the cute girl coming to the booth, the place is filled with cute girls. What are you going to do about all of them? Remember why you are there, to please most of the people. There is a reason they got rid of jukeboxes. So, the idiot in the place does not play the same song over and over again.

geposted Mon 13 Nov 17 @ 10:49 pm
Look you suggested research and I agree. So how does he do that? The only way I can think of to do it quickly is to ask the people coming to his party.
What do you suggest?

As for my being off topic your all over the place probably due to your strip club mentality complete with bad language.

geposted Mon 13 Nov 17 @ 11:36 pm
back on topic...
DJingMinds wrote :
Hi,
Im having a big party in my house and quite a lot guests are gonna be there.

What would be your best "playlist" to warmup 25-to-50 yo guests ?

Some tell me about lounge music, but the older ones might not like it and will go for old pop music to get in the mood

what should i play to please all that people ? post your playlists here. I would be very grateful :)

Sergio.

sorry about the mess...

here's my take on it - no one's playlist here will suit your party. everyone's list will be from a different area, demographic, country, etc... and it would take far too long to go through all of them and build an effective list.
it's up to you to get a feel for the room and figure out what to play. you know the age groups, you can see them and what they're wearing, how their faces look, what they feel like, and how they might feel awkward even if they know most of the people there already. social gatherings are like that even among friends and the larger the group the more complicated it can be.

this btw is called 'reading the crowd' and some dj's take decades to learn how to properly do it - those that do can get in the crowds head and keep them entertained for the entire night, dancefloor or no.

put a big sign up - REQUEST MUSIC HERE and definitely let them know you want their input. make them part of the entertainment and interact with them. you can even do this without saying a word - I have nights where I barely say anything at all except to announce required things and they dance from open to close - but sometimes you do need to grab that mic and interact. but don't overdo it. go to a successful nightclub and watch the dj on a fairly busy night - don't go up and talk to him, he's going to be busy - see how much he talks and interacts to guide the crowd.

you can apply the same principles to small groups and large - let them know you're there for them and become part of the party. they just might ask you to do it again. and then other might ask...and then suddenly you're getting paid for it...

never know... could happen.

geposted Tue 14 Nov 17 @ 12:21 am
Hm..it appears AMAHM does not see the importance of talking to people about the music they like and then trying to reflect that in what is played. Not all the suggestions will be good but over the years you can develop a great knowledge of music. If he needs it this man can have an easy start by just talking to his friends, I would in particular ask the ladies.

You would not believe how many people compliment me on the music I play but they don't realize that they and all the people like them chose my music.

I think anyone not using this method is a bit silly, of course it's not the only way to do music research but it is an important easy way.

Note: Distorting things by using terms like shet is just plain stupid.

geposted Tue 14 Nov 17 @ 12:42 am
A Man and His Music wrote :

You see how I just skipped over that last post, and quoted you? That's because it was more nonsense, and again off topic,

AMAHM, it was a reflection posted by yourself and I wanted to follow up a little bit while on the subject....

I was a little bit curious how you act if people want to hear a track twice or more during the night... but I understand the point. We all work differently.

geposted Tue 14 Nov 17 @ 6:26 am
MrJackson2014, I sent you a PM, as I think you may have misinterpreted one of my post.

geposted Tue 14 Nov 17 @ 9:33 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)