Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Preserving tags when converting from WAV to MP3

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I have about 1200 songs that I tagged in VDJ, in their WAV version. These take up too much room and I'd like to convert them to 320kbps, WITHOUT LOSING THE TAGS.

Is this possible in VDJ? Not the conversion part, but having it recognize the file and apply tags automatically?

geposted Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 7:55 pm
There are two questions here.

The first is - how does VDJ store metadata in WAVs? There's more than one way, and no real standard.

Second - is there any tagging software that can read the data back from where VDJ has stored it?

[edit] I can confirm that Tag&Rename doesn't read the data from a WAV tagged in VDJ. T&R expects to find the data in WAVs here - "ID3v2.3 tag in 'id3 ' RIFF chunk and LIST INFO chunk" so VDJ must be storing it elsewhere.

geposted Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 8:35 pm
I didn't think WAV had the capability to store tags. All the info will probably be in the VDJ database rather than the file itself so if you convert to MP3 I doubt you would be able to carry that information over as the conversion creates a new file.

geposted Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 8:44 pm
Yes WAVs can store metadata (see here) - there just isn't a standard 'set in stone' way that's widely accepted. There's a pro format called Broadcast Wave (BWF) but I doubt yer average DJ software will read it/them.

Zydeholic would've had to enable the writing of the data to the files from within VDJ for it to be there, but it can always be written (copied) to them from the VDJ database if not.

geposted Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 8:49 pm
So, you're saying I can write the data from the database to the WAV files, then convert those to MP3, preserving the data?

geposted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 1:11 am
In theory yes - but the conversion software would need to be able to read the tags from wherever VDJ stores them.

We really need a comment from Adion or one of the VDJ tech staff to say exactly where VDJ puts the tag info when writing to a WAV.

geposted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:56 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The acid tag is used to store bpm info.
Artist, Title, Comment and Genre are stored in the INFO tag.

If an id3 tag is already present in the wav file, vdj will update it, but currently it will not add an id3 tag if it was not present already.

The best way to make sure you don't lose any information, including cue points, bpm phase and other information vdj stores is to update database.xml
If you convert your wav's from track.wav to track.mp3, you could use a text editor to do a search & replace in database.xml and replace ".wav" with ".mp3"

geposted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 7:10 pm
Adion wrote :
Artist, Title, Comment and Genre are stored in the INFO tag.

Thanks.

So when Tag& Rename refers to "LIST INFO chunk" that's not the INFO tag? Because I got nothing from T&R when I loaded a WAV that I tagged in VDJ.

Do you know a tag editor than can read the VDJ data from WAVs?

geposted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 7:16 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It should indeed be the LIST INFO chunk. Not sure why T&R didn't read it.

geposted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 7:24 pm
I'll have another go later. I'll also check if Adobe Audition can read it.

geposted Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 7:50 pm
I just tried opening the WAV in Adobe Audition and cannot see any metadata from VDJ (Audition has a comprehensive choice too).

geposted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 7:22 pm
Adion says VDJ does not create the WAV tag, so unless it was there already which is unlikely then there will be nothing, so all entries are VDJ DB only by the looks of it.

geposted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 7:57 pm
Eh? He said it's stored in the INFO tag (see above).

geposted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 8:00 pm
Adion wrote :
If an id3 tag is already present in the wav file, vdj will update it, but currently it will not add an id3 tag if it was not present already

geposted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 8:30 pm
INFO tag (chunk) - another way of storing metadata, that's not an ID3 tag.

http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/wav_meta_data/

In other words, an ID3 tag is not the only way of storing metadata in a file. Just because VDJ won't/can't write a new ID3 tag, doesn't mean it's not storing anything.

geposted Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 9:07 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)