Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: NS6II and VDJ issue? - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

sonicgtPRO InfinityMember since 2013
So I just got an NS6II and it works and all with Virtual DJ, but sometimes when I launch VDJ it seems to not recognize the controller properly and nothing works. Other times it will work and then everything just freezes, I've had it mainly freeze when I also have an external hdmi video connection to a projector. (I am running Windows 10)

When it seems to do nothing if I go into the controller settings it shows NS6ii custom mappings and its all blank. I don't have any custom mapping, and cant change this to the default. When it works if I go into the controller settings it shows NS6ii default mappings.

When it doesn't work if I close everything and power cycle things I can usually get it to work eventually.

Here is my order I am doing things
-Power on Laptop
-Plug in HDMI external projector (wait until displays second screen)
-Power on Controller
-Plug in Controller USB (wait a minute to make sure laptop recognized controller)
-Launch VDJ

Any thoughts, or logs anywhere I should check? I did also update the firmware of the NS6ii to the latest on Numarks website 1.13 I think it was and have the latest audio drivers installed.

geposted Thu 25 Jan 18 @ 7:20 pm
I would try another USB cable (quick test).

geposted Thu 25 Jan 18 @ 7:52 pm
Using the one that came with it that seems to be decent quality. I do have spares that I bring to my gigs. I will start using one of those as primary to see if it happens with a different cable at all.

geposted Thu 25 Jan 18 @ 10:16 pm
dwellyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Not used mine much and I don't use video but I've had one total lockup and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Is yours ok otherwise? I have a problem with split cueing not working correctly. It works in Serato but in VDJ you can hear a mix of cue and master in the left ear and just master in the right ear which makes it totally unusable.

On the hardware side I'm experiencing the jogs not responding to scratch immediately and so also cannot rewinding or forward a track easily, the jog may just pitchbend instead with it suddenly engaging the scratch or rewind after a random interval, anything from 1/8 turn to 3-4 full rotations. Totally unusable and same in both serato and vdj

geposted Fri 26 Jan 18 @ 11:26 am
I did just get mine a week ago and have my first gig to use it at this weekend, so far I have just been getting used to it at home, but haven't noticed any other issues then the lockup, which it appears if it happens it pretty much happens right away, and if I can get everything up and running it stays that way.

As far as other issues I don't use split cuing since I tend to listen to the complete audio overlay of tracks in both headphones as I beatmatch, but I have tried it with the hardware switch on the front and it has worked for me. One time I noticed it didn't switch out of whatever method it was on so just switched the switch back and forth and it was ok. But I don't get master only, as long as I turn the cue on for the other channel. I do have VDJ set to auto switch the cue channel always in the settings (forget the exact name of this setting) but that doesn't seem to happen with this controller.

I also don't scratch during gigs but have tried it and unless I barely touch the platters it stops immediately. I did notice in the manual or quick start it stated to touch the platters before using to calibrate this. I didn't do this but it appears its calibrated fine for me. I am not sure if there is a way to re-calibrate as this might be something you have to do if its not very responsive to touch when scratching.

As far as rewinding and forwarding easily not sure if you mean with the jog wheels or other method. The methods I tend to use with this controller at least in VDJ when trying to easily advance a song while in cue is hit the slicer button twice so its flashing and then it will jump ahead beats based on which pad you press. Also the strip search which I noticed only works when the volume for that channel isn't up, I assume a feature so you don't accidentally hit it.

geposted Fri 26 Jan 18 @ 2:46 pm
dwelly wrote :
Not used mine much and I don't use video but I've had one total lockup and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Is yours ok otherwise? I have a problem with split cueing not working correctly. It works in Serato but in VDJ you can hear a mix of cue and master in the left ear and just master in the right ear which makes it totally unusable.

On the hardware side I'm experiencing the jogs not responding to scratch immediately and so also cannot rewinding or forward a track easily, the jog may just pitchbend instead with it suddenly engaging the scratch or rewind after a random interval, anything from 1/8 turn to 3-4 full rotations. Totally unusable and same in both serato and vdj

Actually after testing the split cue I think I may see what you mean

So when I have the switch set to split cue on the controller with just the master playing I can use the mix knob and it seems to switch the master from left to right ear. When I turn on cue on a deck that comes out of the left ear regardless and the master is still there.

I did find this only happened when I changed the switch on the controller. If I had the switch set to on before launching vdj the master never came out the left only cue and master was right

geposted Fri 26 Jan 18 @ 6:27 pm
I flick between split cueing and normal but mostly split so need the switch to work else I may have to use Serato (last resort only). The control is different to my Numark NV which always worked fine. I'm sure the guys here will figure this one out.

The platter issue though I've posted on Numark forum but with no reply, may try their facebook page as I need an answer. I've seen the touch it to calibrate which may work but my big issue with this is the 2 usb ports and "DJ handover". If I touch the platter at boot then it calibrates to my touch but what happens when someone else uses it. A DJ friend who will also use the controller with me on some nights tried it, we kept swapping and for me the platter responded about 70% of the time but when he touched it it never responded once, always stayed in pitchbend! So how does thislearning / adapting / calibration stuff all work when you then swap places with another DJ with different characteristics? It's the only controller I've ever encountered an issue on. The NVhad similar "adaptive / learning" and yet worked perfectly 100% of the time

Sorry for the distracion.. hope you get your issues resolved as I have to say issues aside it's a lovely controller

geposted Fri 26 Jan 18 @ 11:38 pm
Tonight is my monthly gig so hopefully it all works out

So far I have changed my USB cable, and am waiting a minute or so once I login to my laptop before plugging in the cable, then waiting a minute before launching vdj and haven't had a freeze up out of about 10 tries. So crossing my fingers.

My last controller the load button was mapped where if held it would unload the track any ideas how to make that change?

geposted Sat 27 Jan 18 @ 8:22 pm
sonicgt wrote :
any ideas how to make that change?

Look up the mapping for your old controller in VDJ, see what script is used for that button and use the same script for your new one.

geposted Sun 28 Jan 18 @ 8:01 am
So had my first gig and had to restart, reconnect, etc things 4 times as VDJ froze the first 3 times on launch. Once I got it all working it worked the entire night. So it appears it wasn't the USB cable.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 18 @ 12:54 am
It's reassuring that it last all night once loaded but it's a concern. I'm due to buy, still deciding between the NS6ii and Denon MCx7000. Keep us posted.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 18 @ 4:59 am
mitchiemasha wrote :
It's reassuring that it last all night once loaded but it's a concern. I'm due to buy, still deciding between the NS6ii and Denon MCx7000. Keep us posted.

Yeah I am not sure if it has something to do with various sound cards or what. Since the projector I hook up does have audio since it uses HDMI. So it does show as a sound device in my playback devices.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 18 @ 3:39 pm
My experience so far..
I love the controller except for a few little niggles.
I think there are issues with VDJ that work fine in serato but I'm sure they will get sorted (I only ever gig with VDJ so I hope so)

However, I've now DJ'd at 2 small gigs with it totalling about 4 hrs and a couple of hrs at home and in that time I've had 3 issues.
1) Whilst playing a track the waveform suddenly locked, like it couldn't access the sound card. It tried switching to the laptop soundcard and back again but with no luck and I had to close & restart VDJ in order to regain sound through the NS6 II
2) The same thing happened at the first gig. I was adjusting the right pitch fader at the time preparing to take over from another DJ when I lost all sound and the on-screen waveform froze and was "jittering". Again I had to restart VDJ to regain sound, changing & re-selecting the soundcard didn't fix it
3) At the 2nd gig I made a very small adjustment to the left pitch fader on the playing deck and it went crazy, slowing down the track to what seemed like less than half speed which didn't exactly please the crowd. I moved the pitch fader again and this time it returned to normal.

The end result is more problems in 2 weeks than I've had in 2years with the Numark NV that it was replacing and at moment I don't feel confident using it.
I've also encountered no issues like this on a Reloop Terminal Mix 4 or on Numark V7s so I'd be surprised it the laptop or cables are the issue.
What I don't know is if the above issues are hardware or software related and specific to VDJ.
The split cue issue is definitely a VDJ problem. The lack of touch response on the jog wheel affects both VDJ and Serato.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 18 @ 9:17 pm
I actually freaked out at my gig when all of a sudden all sound stopped. everything looked fine and the other DJ came up and tried his CDJs (we were both running through his mixer) and they had the same issue. Turned out to be the venues sound system and they had to reboot the main mixing board. Still with the issues I was having that really freaked me out, but turned out not to be me, lol.

I had a hercules 4mx controller for 7 years that just died and this is my replacement, had no issues with the old hercules and vdj until it just one day didn't work. So this is disheartening with the program freezes I am having. I haven't messed with Serato yet because want to get through my next gig this Friday before I have a 3 week break to mess around. I do love the features of this thing and I do like how VDJ is always updating and making things better so I can only hope these are somewhat common things that they may be seeing in tests and working on fixs for.

geposted Mon 29 Jan 18 @ 10:39 pm
I played at a social last night after dance classes and I had about 4 or 5 audio glitches, stuttering and pauses long enough for the crowd to stare at me, but worse still on 3 occasions the song stopped playing and no buttons would respond for a few seconds, then randomly the play button worked again. I changed the USB cable half-way through in case but had problems with both cables connected

I have a gig on Saturday and a small slot to play on Sunday and thinking I'll have to go back to my Numark NV as I can't trust the NS6 II.
Let me know how you get on....

geposted Fri 02 Feb 18 @ 1:49 pm
dwelly wrote :
I played at a social last night after dance classes and I had about 4 or 5 audio glitches, stuttering and pauses long enough for the crowd to stare at me, but worse still on 3 occasions the song stopped playing and no buttons would respond for a few seconds, then randomly the play button worked again. I changed the USB cable half-way through in case but had problems with both cables connected

I have a gig on Saturday and a small slot to play on Sunday and thinking I'll have to go back to my Numark NV as I can't trust the NS6 II.
Let me know how you get on....

I did post on the Numark community as well and someone replied asking for my hardware specs which I just posted for them, but nothing past that. I will keep updating this thread with any progress I make or find out.

I do have a gig tonight, no video though so only audio which I have had more success with. I also did import my music into Serato just in case even though I'm not really liking Serato's interface as much as I do VDJ

geposted Fri 02 Feb 18 @ 7:29 pm
I only do audio, no video but a quick update on mine in terms of stability etc and system specs. I updated Serato & vdj on 3 laptops
HP Envy with AMD A10-8700P + 8GB ram
Medion i3 2310M + 4GB ram
Dell i3 370M + 8GB ram

All 3 ran VDJ fine. Serato was fine too except for the old Dell i3 370M which struggled and experienced audio drop-out etc so I won't test any further with this.
Serato on the NS6 II was fine with a brief 15 minute test on the Medion and for 1hr 15min on the HP
For playing out I reverted to the Numark NV with VDJ8 on the HP Envy laptop and played for 4hrs without a single glitch, the very same laptop, usb cable etc that encountered all the problems with the NS6 II.

So whilst this isn't long enough to be conclusive the NS6 II that I thought was faulty appears to be stable with serato but not with VDJ8. There are still the platter response & split cue issues but stability is my main concern so I will continue testing serato vs VDJ etc but I've had a message about updated firmware so I'll install that first and continue testing.

geposted Mon 05 Feb 18 @ 11:22 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
There is a big difference between the NV and the NS6II, and thats the audio driver. The NS6II is offering a dedicated ASIO driver while the NV isnt.
So the drop outs you may encounter could come from the driver.
Here is what i would do and test...
Test 1. Use WASAPI (instead of the ASIO driver in VDJ Audio setup) and set ExclusiveAudioAccess to Yes from VDJ Options., and probably see if the selected latency setting from VDJ Options needs to be set higher depending on how well your computer is optimized.

Test 2. Use ASIO but make sure the NS6II audio device is not the default/selected playback and recording device (from Windows Sound Options) and probably see if the selected latency from the ASIO Control panel is set too low, depending on how well your computer is optimized.

geposted Mon 05 Feb 18 @ 12:26 pm
An update on my freezing issue is it does seem to be limited to VDJ, as I have tried testing serato multiple times now and had no issues.

With VDJ and the freezing or not recognizing I was wondering if it was maybe some settings of my previous controller in the settings file, so I deleted my settings.xml so it would recreate which it did.
Then as soon as I launched it with the NS6II connected it recognized it and asked me to use the sound card. I chose yes and then it froze.
Powered off the controller with VDJ on and immediately it unfroze.
So I then closed VDJ, powered up and tried again. The sound card was set and it didn't prompt me again, but it yet froze again.
Repeated process of power off close power on reopen a few times then it all worked again. This seems to be the continual behavior I have even had it seem to work where I could do the sampler pads but then as soon as I loaded a song it froze.
Again once I can get it working where I can at least get a song loaded and playing it works until I close VDJ and have issues again.
I really hope this gets resolved because it is annoying and I do love VDJ and after messing with Serato it is something I really don't want to switch to.

geposted Mon 05 Feb 18 @ 10:29 pm
I've another niggle that I'm concerned may be my controller rather than all NS6 IIs. If I enable touch eq I can kill the bass/mid/treble individually but if I try to kill all 3 I have to press quite hard to get the last band to kill? The order doesn't matter, every time the first 2 bands kill and the 3rd is difficult. It's the same each time whether using using rca or xlr output, shoes or no shoes, always on hardfloors (not tested on carpet). I wished Numark had used an IEC C13 power connector to limit grounding issues but again I can say the Numark NV in the same locations works perfectly!

@djdad, thanks I'll run some tests before and after installing the new firmware and report back... Are there many NS6 II users in the VDJ development & support team to check these things as it's difficult to know whether these are general issues or a faulty controller?

geposted Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 11:01 am
91%