Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Gain difference DDJ-SZ and DJM-900NXS2

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hello,

When I'm using the DDJ-SZ controller, The FOH guy (Front of House) has to lower his fader because my gain output is enormous.
When I'm using the DJM-900NXS2 (this is set as the soundcard) the FOH guy keeps telling me I have to give more gain output because his fader could not get any higher...

How come? Someone an idea?

geposted Fri 11 May 18 @ 7:00 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

geposted Fri 11 May 18 @ 1:12 pm
Thank you! Already forgotten the Pioneer setting utility. Will check if that helps.
I just searched in VDJ for "GAIN" and found the gain option. Now I understand why nothing happened when I changed the gain setting with my DJM connected.

Never changed this setting, so my DDJ-SZ gives enough output in the "Default" gain setting.

Tonight is my next gig. I'm going to try the Pioneer setting utility. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

geposted Fri 11 May 18 @ 1:23 pm
Unfortunately the settings in the Pioneer DJM900 nexus config tool had no effect. It was set to -19db by default, so I set it to -5db but no difference.
Maybe this is only for the send/return USB port volume on top of the player as seen in the image. Master volume did not change :(

geposted Mon 14 May 18 @ 6:22 am
Both DJM and DDJ have settings for their master attenuation level.

On DDJ-SZ enter Utilities Mode and use left deck's "HOTCUE", "ROLL" and "SLICER" pad mode buttons to set master attenuation level.
HOTCUE= 0db, ROLL=-3db, SLICER=-6db

On DJM-900NXS2, enter it's Utilities mode and use the screen to navigate and change the attenuation setting (page 18 on unit's manual)

Keep in mind that changing master attenuator level affects the entire mixer, not only the digital interface (for both units)

geposted Mon 14 May 18 @ 6:51 pm
Thanks PhantomDeejay!!

Note to me: RTFM! ;)

Strange... I started the utility tool on the mixer (never done that before) and the "master out att" displayed "-19db", but according the manual, the factory default should be set to 0db.

After I "unlocked" the settings so I can change them, I went back to "master out att" and suddenly it displays "0db"? very strange. Did a factory reset and now the "master out att" says "0db" even when it is in locked modus.

I hope it really was -19db and now 0db. We will know soon!

geposted Mon 14 May 18 @ 7:25 pm
We know that for quite a lot recent Pioneer units, it is possible for their settings to change via special commands.
Such units are XDJ-RX2, DDJ-1000, DDJ-RZX and a few others...
We don't know if DJM900NXS2 falls into that category, but if it does then you need to know that Rekordbox DJ will override the mixer settings with the ones of the software.

We discovered that with DDJ-1000 actually. While VirtualDJ will "read" the settings of the unit upon startup, (and therefore respect any changes you made within Rekordbox DJ or VirtualDJ), Rekordbox DJ will not do the same. It will use the settings stored inside the program, and not inside the unit.
These settings INCLUDE master attenuation level, Mono/Stereo settings, Booth out parameters e.t.c.

Therefore my advice to you is to use only the screen to set your settings and avoid using Rekordbox DJ, or (at least) set Rekordbox DJ use the same settings as the ones you desire / set on the screen.

If we have more news about how settings work on DJM-900NXS2 we will let you know...

geposted Tue 15 May 18 @ 7:20 am
Interesting.. I do need Rekordbox to prepare my music for export to USB for gigs where the Dj gear is already present.
It sounds logic to me that Rekordbox overrules.. Because you want your own overall settings saved and load into the DJ gear you use with RB USB drive (or your RB pc).

If you have specific settings you want.. It sounds logic that the software set the hardware settings for you, so all changes made by other persons will be changed to your settings.
So RB that overrules DJM or CDJ settings or whatever... That way you can rely on your own settings everywhere no matter what the previous DJ did with the gear...

Maybe an idea for VDJ :) Plug-in the HDD with VDJ library and VDJ will set all settings for you (skin, config settings etc) :)

Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

geposted Fri 18 May 18 @ 6:36 am
royvanmeel wrote :

If you have specific settings you want.. It sounds logic that the software set the hardware settings for you, so all changes made by other persons will be changed to your settings.
So RB that overrules DJM or CDJ settings or whatever... That way you can rely on your own settings everywhere no matter what the previous DJ did with the gear...

Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

For some settings yes it makes sense. For others (like master attenuation) no it doesn't...
Normally a DJM (mixer) is "fixed" on a club installation. The sound engineer designed and tweaked the PA system to run with a given master output level from that mixer. If that level changes from the software, then it's likely that on every DJ switch the sound engineer needs to load different settings on the LMS, or the master volume could easily fluctuate between "extreme" values...
Remember that this setting does not apply only on the "digital" / usb interface, but on analog/SPDIF interface as well.
So, after you leave the booth the mixer is still set to e.g. -9db master attenuation and the next DJ that uses the connected CDJ to perform will play with a much lower volume... Which may lead him to increase the channel gains and introduce distortion, or even overdrive the mixer's output which will also lead to distortion.

Conclusion: There are settings that can/should be changed on the fly by the software safely, and there others that the software should adapt to...
For DDJ-1000 as an example, VirtualDJ will read the stored setting and respect it. You can still change it if you want. But when doing a switch-over between too different DJ's you won't get surprised because suddenly the volume is much louder or much more quite

geposted Mon 21 May 18 @ 7:47 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)