Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Request for Beginner DMX tips w/ Freestyler DMX & Enttec Open DMX

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

DJJDROXPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Hi all - I've entered the realm of becoming a wedding DJ and I'm getting pretty good at it. I think I can improve in the lighting dept. and wanted to incorporate some DMX lighting FX into my gigs. LOVE the fact that 2018 can possibly incorporate this! After reading the post https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/218871/General_Discussion/Advice_on_DMX_controller.html by MrJackson2014 - I like the $65 option posted by PhantomDeejay using Freestyler sofware w/ Enttec Open dongle.

So what I want to know is recommendations to further my knowledge in incorporating some DMX items into my sets. For example: I would like to be able to hit a setting, button, etc that would drop the lights to certain color (red) and move slow for a slow song. Blackout setting for all. I would like to still use my standard sound activated mode if possible. Not sure if this would work, or if I would need to program a whole show. I'm getting sick of using three remotes and adjusting the sound sensitivity on the back of the device!

What I have lighting wise is the Chauvet Gigbar2, pair of ADJ Inno Pocket Spots, and a pair Chauvet DJ Derby X and ADJ mega hex pars seen in the pic below.

There's just not a lot I'm familiar with DMX lighting but wanted to get into it but could use some pointers on anyone that has a good knowledge base or point me to a spot that I could get going! Thanks for any info you can provide

geposted Mon 30 Jul 18 @ 1:17 am
djmrmcPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I know others will chime in but start with learning what and how to use Submasters. It will give you more control over your show and not hard to learn.

Just a bit of initial programming and you're good to go.

There's tutorials in the freestyler wiki.

geposted Mon 30 Jul 18 @ 6:39 am
djmrmc wrote :
...start with learning what and how to use Submasters. It will give you more control over your show and not hard to learn.

Just a bit of initial programming and you're good to go.

There's tutorials in the freestyler wiki.

Thanks djmrmc for the response. Is this what you're referencing => https://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/playback:submasters:using_cues_and_submaster

I'm not looking to run a crazy show, I just want more control and to eliminate pressing three remotes to create a blackout (rather then pulling the plug) or to create a solid color show for a pace change, ! Other then that I would like to run the lights on sound auto mode. Sorry if that's a faux pas in the lighting biz!

geposted Tue 31 Jul 18 @ 1:57 am
Yes that's the guide.

You can do everything you want to achieve with Submasters and even a whole lot more!

Also setup Override buttons for your strobe effect etc....

As for S2L you can download SBDJs freestyler dmx plugin for VDJ in the downloads section. That will allow you to send the bpm, beatgrid and Freestyler commands straight from VDJ into Freestyler and even if it's running on another pc.

If you want to be able to activate the internal sound active mode of your fixtures from within Freestyler then that will entirely depend on whether there is a dmx channel in the fixture that allows that.

But definitely spend the time with Submasters because you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Btw this all worked in VDJ before VDJ 2018.

geposted Tue 31 Jul 18 @ 5:04 am
OK great thanks. With the use of Freestyler utilizing submasters, would you recommend the equip mentioned - Enttec Open DMX? I like the idea of the Enttec Open being a beginner device w/ room to move up and the price point is great.

As this is all new to me and I'm about to purchase the equip, I wasn't sure how I would hook it all up before playing around w/ the program. I find it hard to imagine that I'm able to daisy chain all of the different lights together - although that would be ideal. Does the program and the computer do all of the work, or is a DMX mixer is still required to split the signal to the different devices? Any recommendations if so...? Thanks again for the help!

geposted Wed 01 Aug 18 @ 3:39 pm
djmrmc wrote :
[quote=DJJDROX]OK great thanks. With the use of Freestyler utilizing submasters, would you recommend the equip mentioned - Enttec Open DMX? I like the idea of the Enttec Open being a beginner device w/ room to move up and the price point is great.

As this is all new to me and I'm about to purchase the equip, I wasn't sure how I would hook it all up before playing around w/ the program. I find it hard to imagine that I'm able to daisy chain all of the different lights together - although that would be ideal. Does the program and the computer do all of the work, or is a DMX mixer is still required to split the signal to the different devices? Any recommendations if so...? Thanks again for the help!

That interface will be fine. It supports 1 DMX universe (512 Channels) which is more than you will need. I personally have an Enttec DMX Pro (Next model up).

As you said you do just connect your 3 or 5 pin XLR (you can get a 5pin to 3pin adapter. That's what I have) from the Enttec interface into your first fixture then out of that into the next and so on. You will also need to set the correct DMX channel on each fixture as well. Freestyler will indicate what channel each fixture needs when you patch them in. It's that simple.

The interface and the pc will do all the work and you don't need an external DMX controller although I would keep one around so you have a backup in the event you had a problem with your PC.

Once you actually have freestyler up and running and controlling your fixtures I am sure it will make more sense.

geposted Sun 05 Aug 18 @ 9:37 am
All of this info was exactly what I needed to get started. Thanks for the help. I'll create another post as I begin to experiment!

geposted Thu 16 Aug 18 @ 3:04 pm
Keep us updated on your progress.

Definately worth the time and effort. It will take your light show to the next level.

Any other questions... Fire away :)

geposted Thu 16 Aug 18 @ 3:37 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)