Forum: General Discussion

About VirtualDJ and DJing in general

If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
Forum Guidelines  (*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Topic: Copyright question.
Where are some good places to buy songs for streaming or other such uses. I'm a bit nervous about using the collection I have now, because of possible copyright issues down the line.

geposted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 7:04 pm
you can't buy music that is licensed for streaming.

you pay the fees after the fact depending on listener counts etc is pretty complex

geposted Thu 09 Aug 18 @ 8:35 pm
Thanks. I guess I won't stream then. Can you buy music licensed for public performance?

geposted Fri 10 Aug 18 @ 2:48 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Usually the same organisation that collects fees for public performance also collects them for streaming, so best to check their website for more information.

Most artists will either directly or indirectly join this organization, so their music falls under these rules.
There are some exceptions with artists either selling their music completely on their own and possibly explicitly giving you rights for broadcast or public performance, or artists that even make their music available for free under a Creative Commons license that grants you these rights.
Note that these copyright organisations often don't know much about these alternative licenses, so it may be still be required to notify them about your event before, and possibly only recover the costs afterwards once they get the playlist and you can prove that it is not music from any of their members.

geposted Fri 10 Aug 18 @ 7:35 am
In the U.S.A., the venue is responsible for the licensing fees from, ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. There are a few others, but these are the big ones. If you are performing in public, playing other peoples music, whether live or recorded, the venue needs these licenses. If you paid for your music, you will not have a problem. You are also allowed to play music from our ContentUnlimited services. You are not allowed to stream other services, as per their End User Agreements.

geposted Sat 11 Aug 18 @ 7:43 am