Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: BUILD 5002 (2019-05-30) -Don't apply master volume to recording

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
How can we control the recording level in BUILD 5002 other than zeroDB? Are we now limited to -1, -3, -6, -9, -12dB? I suppose -12dB would be fine, but I prefer more headroom for recording 4 or more tracks and leaving room for drops and effects. I was using a combination of -6dB and Master Volume 40 - 50% to dial it in perfectly, but now I feel more limited.

I guess I could always do a volume adjustment in the DAW to give the extra needed headroom, but I prefer the previous build's control since I use a headphone amp and only record at home.

I understand some people would prefer it this way now, but it would be nice if we could have an option to choose between both settings. How about a Recording Level Knob added to the Master Panel? I suppose that's not possible? or what about up to -18dB zeroDB as an option?

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 2:20 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Just type your desired -dB into options

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 7:00 am
Thanks, I thought I've tried that, but now it works!

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 7:24 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I'm not sure why you would want that though. If you need 18dB headroom in your recorded mix you are basically saying that the normal track playing is at - 18dB, but then there will be parts in your mix where you have 4 tracks playing at the same time without equalization and add a drop on top making the mix 18dB louder at these points.

I don't think it will be very comfortable for the audience of your mix and I guess they would be running to the volume control at those moments

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 7:48 am
No, that's not what I'm saying, Adion. Producers mix at around -15 to -18dB to allow room for anything. This procedure I was referring to isn't for a live audience, but just for a demo production mix situation only. DJ music's already mastered and doesn't need much these days. I sometimes add loops, drops/liners with effects, or instruments, but I like to save as much as space as possible for experimenting.

I usually just prefer with up to 4 songs blending and maybe 1 loop (filtered of course), some samples or effects and 1 drop playing to have around -7 to -8dB of final headroom. I rarely use compression or VST or EQ plugins, but I don't like to get too close to where I wouldn't have room to try out some creative things. Also, it creates very thick waveforms and I like that to be near the final stages of the mix. I can flange in and do double beats easier this way while hearing it clearly.

Lately, I've been applying a High-Density EQ gain of only around +0.02dB or less, and a limiter with a volume adjustment to get me right up to 0 or -1, -2, or -3dB for the loudest parts of the final mix, but sometimes I'd like to experiment with new VSTs and it's just a convenience to not have to make extra adjustments or waste extra CPU than what's necessary.

locodog, gave the solution of typing in the exact zeroDB needed and this solves my situation. Thanks for the information! I'm buying my VDJ license today!

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 5:15 pm
You can't go over when recording with VDJ anyway, because of the built in limiter on the master output that cannot be disabled. It's always there, protecting from overload.

Granted it doesn't sound very nice when/if it kicks in (there are better sounding plugins) but it keeps things in check.

I don't quite get why so much headroom is necessary either, because surely you're keeping an eye on the level meters as you're DJing?

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 5:33 pm
I let VDJ8 do the auto gain thing and fine tune things as needed. I feel recorded music was meant to be dynamic, going from loud to quit as a film does. It's more of convenience and I feel I can hear things better when they're quieter as long as I have a headphone amp to boost the signal as needed. Again, it's for a multi-tracked production Mix situation only and my personal style.

I take my recorded mix segments and place them into the DAW and flange them into place. If you're mixing 2 tracks or 4 tracks as a live mix this isn't necessary with VDJ.

By the way, I'm Officially a VDJ Controllerist now!

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 5:57 pm
Modern music? Dynamic? Anything but, in most cases! Most stuff now is sent through a maximizer and the waveform looks like a ruler. :-)

geposted Mon 10 Jun 19 @ 6:26 pm
I guess the zeroDB of -12dB really is the max. If I type in anything greater it goes back to the default.

geposted Thu 13 Jun 19 @ 7:20 am
Anyway...can we toggle between these 2 options?...because before this build my mixes were less murky and even. Now I am failing to put out a mix because the sound is too muddy and effects overpower the tracks...which wasn't there before this build. [ What I record is the final output I hear in the club, which is levelled according to my monitoring ears, but now the recorded mix is like every track playing at it's db but put together] . I know it could have been a request, kindly provide a simple toggle without me tampering with zeroDB or pulling out a calculator. Thanks!

geposted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 1:37 pm
Best would be to use zerodb if you hit the limiter.
It's the same sound going to the master out and record out

geposted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 2:19 pm
I barely hit the limiter. If it's master out = record out , then why is it when i roll back to build 4918, the mix is clean crisp in comparison to the new build. Same recording style: wav at 16 bit from DJSZ2.
Note: All I need is just to "apply master volume to recording" and not the other way round. So a simple toggle/script would be nice to switch back and forth in next build. Would be grateful if considered.

geposted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 2:39 pm
So you change the master volume during your mix?

geposted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 2:54 pm
Yes I do...

*More like balance it...but yes I do

geposted Tue 16 Jul 19 @ 3:14 pm
I have the 32bit version with the new update where the master volume doesn't control the recording volume and the 64bit version which isn't updated to that version if I ever need it the older way. Both versions use the same database and I haven't experienced any problems toggling between both as needed.

geposted Fri 19 Jul 19 @ 4:27 am
Well as VDJ Mac user, am not as advantaged. Would be cool to just have one build with a toggle than run 2 versions, according to me. I am sure The dev. heard my prayers :)

geposted Fri 19 Jul 19 @ 1:25 pm
Not sure if this was put on a hold, since in the new stable build (5186) it still exists, but still waiting on revision of this.

Dev's. Thanks.

Note: Newer build is smoother and my video overlay effects seem to have been fixed, I appreciate that!

geposted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 3:50 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)