Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: When close VDJ when connected to Rane 72, it sets headphone setting to max bass?!
Every time I close VDJ while connected to my Rane 72, it changes the headphone setting in the mixer to maximum bass, minimum treble.

This is a really weird one, had the issue for months and months, I first asked Rane about this, as I didn't think of checking the exit sequence. But it is 100% consistent - every time I close VDJ with the 72 connected, it resets that setting. If I shut down the mixer before closing VDJ, the setting stays where it was. I'm on the latest release of VDJ and the firmware.

My 72 ONEXIT is the default

fake_mixer off & fake_eq off & fake_filter off & fake_hp off & fake_hpmix off & fake_gain off & fake_master off

In case it is relevant, my ONINIT is also default I think:

fake_mixer on & fake_eq on & fake_filter on & fake_hp on & fake_hpmix on & fake_gain on & fake_master on & deck 1 effect_3slots_layout on & deck 2 effect_3slots_layout on & repeat_start 'SetPads' 100ms 3 & deck 1 pad_page 'hotcues' & deck 2 pad_page 'hotcues'

geposted Mon 05 Apr 21 @ 7:31 pm
We don't control that setting directly (in fact it's not even documented) but we will take a look at it.

geposted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 8:07 am
Thanks, I thought it was so unlikely, but I've checked and the setting doesn't change when Serato shuts down, and I haven't found anyone else on the user groups who has noticed the issue. The Rane Seventy Two Device Settings app can control it, I guess (?) VDJ accidentally sends a similar signal on disconnecting. Obviously please shout if I can provide any further info.

geposted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 10:14 am
We have tested on our device and we were able to identify a possible case that under some certain conditions headphones tone would reset.
We have introduced a possible fix for this case that will be available on next software update.

geposted Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 11:50 pm
Fantastic! Thank you very much!

geposted Wed 07 Apr 21 @ 10:17 am
Can you check with latest EA version if the issue has been fixed for you ?

geposted Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 8:31 am
Thanks very much, I got mixed results.

On the one hand, the bug is fixed - the headphone tone no longer bounces to zero on shutting down VDJ. Thanks!

Sadly it seems also to not properly disconnect the mixer. After I have shut down VDJ, I get the following effects screen, which seems to suggest the 72 still considers itself connected (it should be showing the three parameters of the on-board effects, rather than those empty slots where VDJ's effects go). This is no problem - when I restart VDJ it finds the mixer and connects correctly, and I do not have to turn the mixer off and on again, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, or anything like that, it functions perfectly. I tested and Serato also connects to the 72 in confused state fine too. So this is great for me thanks, but not a fully clean test pass, sorry.

geposted Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 2:38 pm
We have reasons to believe that this is a firmware bug actually, but we will give it another go.

geposted Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 2:49 pm
I know this isn't at all helpful, but the headphone tone doesn't change when you close Serato, only VirtualDJ. No idea how that is possible, if they're using an undocumented API (if any of this stuff is documented).

My vote would be for the EA version, rather than the correctly disconnecting but secretly setting-corrupting version, as the EA version works perfectly.

(I am disappointed how many bugs the Rane 72 firmware contains for such an expensive mixer. It should at least be hard to find some.)

If it does turn out to be Rane's issue, they're somehow triggering the tone setting on VDJ's disconnect only, please let me know full details so I can file a bug with them.

geposted Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 5:05 pm
For starters, we have found that "headphones_tone" would reset ONLY if the Seventy-Two Control Panel has been opened (for any reason) while VirtualDJ was running, even if it was closed before VirtualDJ shuts down.
We isolated the MIDI message responsible for headphones_tone setting (in other words we don't use it at all) but still it seems the mixer doesn't like that either.
So, we will investigate further.

geposted Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 5:50 pm
Odd, I have opened the Seventy Two control panel in the past, not sure whether VirtualDJ was open, but many months and restarts ago, and the headphone tone still resets every time (ie, without opening the control panel now). I'm on Mojave.

If I physically unplug the mixer before shutting VirtualDJ all works fine - just reluctant to do that as it might confuse VirtualDJ's settings as it tries to auto-reconfigure on disconnect.

geposted Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 11:49 am
With latest build ?
Please ignore what was happening with previous builds.
Also I think I found a way to fix the screen hanging occasionally with blank effects.
I will test a little bit further and if all seems good I will push the changes on next update...

geposted Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 5:10 pm
Sorry PhantomDeejay no, with the latest build the headphone tone is not touched.

Enormous thanks..

geposted Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 8:38 pm