Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Key Shift idea
SveninoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
What disturbs Keyshift for professional use?
THE DRUMS ARE (unfortunately) SHIFTED AS WELL
So the drums sound muffled (key -1,-2,-3...) or like mikeymouse (key +1,+2,+3...)
And why is this problem so easy to solve?

Because we already have the drums isolated as a stem.
And You took the fabulous step to let effect the effects only to the drums:

So please, please take the next logical step and allow the key to be moved BUT NOT THE DRUMS!!!

I swear: Everybody will love this feature!
I believe in: A lot of people would buy VDJ just to have this feature!
PLEASE EVERYBODY: SUPPORT THIS REQUEST FOR A SOON UPDATE
(I think I´m going crazy to find this feature soon) :-)
You would make me soooo happy!
Anybody else there to be happy about this feature?

geposted Tue 04 May 21 @ 7:55 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can use the "Pitch" effect. (the quality is a little lower than the deck key though)

geposted Tue 04 May 21 @ 7:59 pm
OK there is still the voice... But think of all the instrumentals or KARAOKEs.
You could change the key of a females karaoke-song to a boys pitch and the drums would stay as they should!...

geposted Tue 04 May 21 @ 8:02 pm
Hey ADION! thanks, I tried it, BUT...
First transpose everything -3 and after it pitching the drums up again?

Its 1.) too complicated 2.) sounds not so good (as You say)

If we couldn´t use the Stems sooo easy and spontaneously as they are now-
I think just a few people would use it.

So the Drums-Stem has to be untouched while all musical Stems are transposed (keyshifted)
And we need Buttons integrated in the native skin (of course a bit prettier than this one:)

Believe me: that will excite the scene! At least many karaoke users, musicians...

geposted Tue 04 May 21 @ 8:22 pm
Does anyone see the huge benefit of this feature?
Then leave a comment to support it :-)

geposted Tue 04 May 21 @ 8:28 pm
Svenino wrote :
What disturbs Keyshift for professional use?
THE DRUMS ARE (unfortunately) SHIFTED AS WELL
So the drums sound muffled (key -1,-2,-3...) or like mikeymouse (key +1,+2,+3...)
And why is this problem so easy to solve?

Because we already have the drums isolated as a stem.
And You took the fabulous step to let effect the effects only to the drums:

So please, please take the next logical step and allow the key to be moved BUT NOT THE DRUMS!!!

I swear: Everybody will love this feature!
I believe in: A lot of people would buy VDJ just to have this feature!
PLEASE EVERYBODY: SUPPORT THIS REQUEST FOR A SOON UPDATE
(I think I´m going crazy to find this feature soon) :-)
You would make me soooo happy!
Anybody else there to be happy about this feature?

+1 I would like to have that too!

geposted Wed 05 May 21 @ 7:35 am
It is possible! Using the PITCH-EFFECT (and a tuning device for detecting the right numbers)
I made buttons to change key without touching the drums:

With Red Button (Key lower) You can turn the key down to 5 semitones:

effect_active 1 'pitch' on & effect_slider 1 72,6% ? effect_slider 1 68,7% : effect_slider 1 68,7% ? effect_slider 1 64,77% : effect_slider 1 64,77% ? effect_slider 1 60,8687% : effect_slider 1 60,8687% ? effect_slider 1 56,95% : effect_slider 1 56,95% ? effect_slider 1 50% & effect_active 1 'pitch' off : effect_slider 1 50% ? effect_slider 1 43,11645% : effect_slider 1 43,11645% ? effect_slider 1 39,22% : effect_slider 1 39,22% ? effect_slider 1 35,3% : effect_slider 1 35,3% ? effect_slider 1 31,356% : effect_slider 1 31,356% : effect_slider 1 27,46% : nothing

with yellow button You neutralize the Key to zero:
effect_active 1 'pitch' off & effect_slider 1 50%

And with the green one You push the key of the song higher step by step - also 5 semitones:
effect_active 1 'pitch' on & effect_slider 1 50% ? effect_slider 56,95% : effect_slider 56,95% ? effect_slider 60,8687% : effect_slider 60,8687% ? effect_slider 64,77% : effect_slider 64,77% ? effect_slider 68,7% : effect_slider 68,7% ? effect_slider 72,6% : effect_slider 27,46% ? effect_slider 31,356% : effect_slider 31,356% ? effect_slider 35,3% : effect_slider 35,3% ? effect_slider 39,22% : effect_slider 39,22% ? effect_slider 43,11645% : effect_slider 43,11645% ? effect_slider 50% & effect_active 1 'pitch' off : nothing

The "DrumXclue" Button preserves the drums from being shifted:
effect_stems MeloVocal on & effect_stems Bass on & effect_stems Rhythm off
(Thanks Nicotux)

The "Normal" Button restores the normal state
effect_stems off

With the sound I´m not so satisfied. And that's why the professionals have to get involved here. The top team of Virtual DJ can make this dream come true. As a premium feature in the next update. I keep my fingers crossed and hope as many VDJ Users as possible realize the value of this feature (before Traktor or Ableton employees do).
Greetings and best wishes!

geposted Thu 06 May 21 @ 10:05 pm
Tested the effect on a few songs.
Actually it sounds pretty creepy, oh I could despair....
But the idea is right, I'll stick with it!

geposted Thu 06 May 21 @ 10:20 pm
There are some points to consider:

Music quality will be negatively impacted, due to using stems technology.

Drums and percussion have pitch (key) too. They are often tuned to fit the song, so changing only the music could result in the drums/perc being off key.

I don't see or hear any problem with the way key shifting works already. It's standard across all software and hardware. If it was "wrong" or bad then many people would be complaining.

geposted Fri 07 May 21 @ 5:10 pm
Hey GroovinDj: Thank You, will trie to make You understand my problem. (It´s kindabout karaoke)
To get people to sing, I do a lot of things. In school, when a student sings wrong notes, it's often because of the teacher not finding the student's particular key (and being able to accompany on the piano).
So I accommodate singers, help them by adjusting the key of the songs to their vocal range.
And please don´t say "Let them sing other songs...wich are easier" Karaoke isn´t logical ;-)
One tries to sing and no one can hide from listening - if You know what I mean...
Now try to key down a song like FINE YOUNG CANIBALS - SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY for 3 or 4 semitones. So that a normal male singer can handle it.
Then the drums are unusable.
And yes: the Snare (and my be toms or seldom used timpanies) are tuned. But shifting a song down all tuning isn´t worth a penny, when the drums muffle. Or in higher pitch You get Mickey Mouse drummin...
Let the drums at zero and just turn everything else down is the lesser of two evils.

So it just needs ONE Button (like the stems FX) And these Button would be: DrumXclue.

How about following easy idea with surely great sound?
We simply let the song run in sync in a secret deck (a hidden deck number 99 or something) and there only turn on the rhythm stems. In the original deck there are only the music stems. These are keyshifted, while in the Ghost Deck the drums remain original.
But it remains: Offer a simple button and many users would like to use it.

Thanks for all the coming opinions and help and best regards

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 8:43 pm
And dear VDJ team: I have a present for you: the trademark "DrumXclue". You may use this name (which I invented a few days ago) for free.
The best thing is to do it before the people from Serato, Traktor, Algoriddim and Co. get wind of it...
Because I think that VDJ is the best DJ-Software ever!!!
(Sorry, sometimes it's a fine line between creative ideas and going slightly mad ;-)

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 9:32 pm