Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Is the XMG 15 DJ fast at processing VDJ's stems? How "future-proof" is it?
I'm interested in buying the XMG 15 DJ but i'd like to know how well it performs with VDJ's live stems, because i'm using a gaming laptop with a GTX 1050 right now and the XMG doesn't have a dedicated GPU.
My question is kinda aimed at the "future-proofness" of the device, i'd hate to spend a grand and then not be able to use a cool new feature 2 years down the line.

geposted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 8:36 pm
Looking at the specs it will be OK, not blindingly fast though.

My C940 has a similar spec and it loads stems fast enough, but nowhere as fast as a dedicated gaming machine.

It's all about cost & portability.

I generally keep stems switched off most of the time and only enable Math Engine when I need it.

geposted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 8:40 pm
I mostly play improv, so i'd like to be able to rely on stems when i need them (usually to remove vocals for a loop).
I'd buy another DJ laptop if it has more power to deal with stems, maybe something that has an MX 150, but the only Windows laptop that's engineered for DJs is the XMG 15 that i know of.

geposted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 9:09 pm
HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
FunctionDJ wrote :
I mostly play improv, so i'd like to be able to rely on stems when i need them (usually to remove vocals for a loop).
I'd buy another DJ laptop if it has more power to deal with stems, maybe something that has an MX 150, but the only Windows laptop that's engineered for DJs is the XMG 15 that i know of.

I thought about this laptop and skipped it due to no dedicated grafix. (what makes a REAL push on STEMS)
Just a tipp, even if not the cheapest stuff:
I have a Razer Blade 15 (2020 version) and this machine is a dream.
Rockstable, low latency, grafix makes STEMS in 1 second....and TWO internal SSD (NVME) available, so I have 2TB, all music on a dedicated drive and no more external stuff to think about.

geposted Tue 08 Jun 21 @ 9:17 am
It's being marketed as a DJ laptop but it's nothing special.

My son's MSI gaming machine is slim, has loads of ports and dedicated graphics. Plenty of alternatives out there.

geposted Tue 08 Jun 21 @ 9:30 am
FunctionDJ wrote :

It's made for DJing - but the old kind
They haven't yet caught up with the fact that modern DJ software uses GPU's for advanced math
(I've actually written this to them a few months ago, but I don't know if they have noticed)
So basically any gaming laptop will be better for stems separation

XMG do have laptops with top of the line GeForce GPUs in them. They are available on their homepage. But they are not the ones that are labeled as DJ laptops

geposted Tue 08 Jun 21 @ 9:54 am
Thanks for the input guys.
I was only considering the XMG because my current DJ laptop has nasty hiccups with VDJ every now and then, and so far nothing that i've tried worked, like increasing the latency, reinstalling Windows, etc.
I don't want to go with a Razer because i think they are overpowered in terms of GPU. You only really need any modern dedicated GPU, but anything beyond an MX150 barely matters from my experience.
Any recommendations? Should not be too fat, 15inch, relatively light, 1x 2.5" bay, good screen for DJing (bright, good viewing angles). And run well with VDJ, that's about it. Budget is up to 1500€, depending on what the computer has.

geposted Wed 09 Jun 21 @ 6:02 pm