Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Instant Filters - tracks not in DJ
djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi
This may be by design but I have found that if a track is NOT in the SearchDB, if an instant filter is ON then that file does not display in the browser under any circumstances.
e.g. if I have an instant filter "File Path doesn't contain Archive", then if I download a file into any folder, browsing that folder won't show the file, similarly if I insert a USB drive that hasn't been added to Virtual DJ, nothing will show up if the instant filter is on.

geposted Mon 27 Jun 22 @ 7:46 pm
djkrysr wrote :
This may be by design but I have found that if a track is NOT in the SearchDB,

Don't think it's a design, but from necessity, since all filters use the Database, so if a track is NOT in the Database (VDJ knows nothing about the track) and it cannot be found and listed, by a filter or quick filter.

IE one could NOT create a quick filter to show all tracks NOT in the Database, for example when looking at tracks of Tidal or Beatport.

The best one could do in above case is to use a Color Rule to change the default color slightly (say to #CCCCCC) so that all tracks that are in the Database (and not otherwise having color) will NOT appear the bright white. (Bright white tracks are those NOT in the database)

geposted Mon 27 Jun 22 @ 8:47 pm
Hi
I understand what you're saying but this is not about 'searching' the database for files, this concerns when you actually click on a folder in the tree to browse a specific folder.
If any 'instant filter' is on, files that are not in the database are hidden from view in that folder, regardless of the criteria of the filter itself.
This means I have to keep turning off the filter to view the files that have just been. I am not sure what the solution is, other than perhaps as you suggest setting a color rules to 'grey out' specific tracks rather than use 'instant filters' at all, because when they are on, you can't browse new folders or files to even add them to the database.
Thanks anyway

geposted Tue 28 Jun 22 @ 11:12 am
I do understand what you are asking... but

djkrysr wrote :
I understand what you're saying but this is not about 'searching' the database for files,

when a filter or quickfilter is ACTIVE..... YOU ARE SEARCHING THE DATABASE.

and as you have found .. none of the tracks, will show in the browser, result, that are NOT in the database, when a, quickfilter is active, since VDJ knows nothing about them (since again the quickfilter is listing tracks it finds in the Database that match the quickfilter's rules, and if not in the database, tracks are not listed).

------------------------
And do you have the Setting: analyzeSongsOnView YES

as this will allow you to add all files to the database as you view them in the browser the first time.

Which may help.. and not sure if a filter is active, when VDJ will see the tracks, ie the filter may need to be off, for VDJ to see and analyze them.

And if you add files to the database first, (browsing, not using a filter and analyzeSongsOnView YES) then your quickfilter will function as you like, when you use it.

That said, with offline files... they are not added to the database, till loaded on a deck, hence the use of the color rule, mentioned above, to indicate which tracks are NOT in the database.

Maybe others have additional outlooks/insights.

geposted Tue 28 Jun 22 @ 2:29 pm
What he's wanting is the equivalent of looking outside with the curtains shut.

geposted Tue 28 Jun 22 @ 4:01 pm
kradcliffe wrote :

Is sarcasm mandatory or do you just do it voluntarily?

geposted Tue 28 Jun 22 @ 10:54 pm
kradcliffe wrote :

To be clear, in the Virtual DJ Manual, it says nothing about quick/instant filters only searching within the database, to quote it say
'When the 120-124 BPM range is selected from the Filter Dropdown (Filter button is toggled on), the local folder uses the criteria set and only displays the 16 files in the folder that have a BPM between 120 and 124.'

Please take note that my filter was not to identify tracks that are not in the database, which other people seem to be focusing on, my filter was to 'omit' files from specific paths (ie. any path with the text 'archive' in it) when searching the database.

When I click on a actual folder to view it's contents, and that folder does not contain the text 'archive' in it, and I am not searching within that folder just selecting it to view in the browser, is it unreasonable to ask Virtual DJ to display the contents of that folder, whether or not it is in the database.

If Virtual DJ is unable to do so, just admit that this is "By Design" rather than say I am using the filters incorrectly, or amend your documentation to better explain the actions of a quick filter button, rather than attempt to shoot me down & be condescending.

I am not trying to look outside with the curtains shut, I am trying to look through another windows whose curtains are wide open.

I am at a loss as to why this is such an issue but one of the many reasons I hesitate to post anything on this forum because of the contempt that seems to be directed at people who are not "in the know".

geposted Wed 29 Jun 22 @ 1:14 pm
djkrysr wrote :
it says nothing about quick/instant filters only searching within the database

It shouldn't need to - because people using VDJ generally add their tracks to the database by default.

djkrysr wrote :
is it unreasonable to ask Virtual DJ to display the contents of that folder

Is it unreasonable to turn off the filter? I certainly don't run VDJ with a filter permanently engaged. It shouldn't be necessary with a well organised collection.

geposted Wed 29 Jun 22 @ 5:37 pm
I do not understand where these condescending comments are coming from.

I am sorry I don't use Virtual DJ the same way you do, I am sorry if you don't appreicate the way I use the software may not be the same as you.

If asking a question is inappropriate, or pointing out another way of doing things is wrong, then I shall try not to ask questions & attempt to alter my way of using Virtual DJ to more suite your ideals if that is what is required.

So sorry for doing things differently.

geposted Thu 30 Jun 22 @ 10:58 am
djkrysr wrote :
So sorry for doing things differently.

Is sarcasm mandatory or do you just do it voluntarily?

geposted Thu 30 Jun 22 @ 11:20 am
As with many things in this world, VDJ works a certain way, and it needs to be operated in that way for it to work.

No good pressing your foot on the brake and expecting your car to move forward. You have to use the accelerator. :-)

geposted Thu 30 Jun 22 @ 4:32 pm