Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: [VST BEGINNER GUIDE - What is VST, how to use etc] - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

VST BEGINNER GUIDE - What is VST, how to use etc

VST (Virtual Studio Technology, developed by Steinberg) is a dynamic link library (dll-file) that communicates with a host-program (any VST compatible program like VDJ 2.0, Cubase and lots of other audio software). VST's come in the form of effects processors, drum machines, synthesizers, and any other conceivable audio production utilities. These VST's can be recreations of old vintage units or expand into newly developed ideas and effects only limited by the programmers imagination and abilities!

For example Kjaerhus Audio Classic EQ:

One of the other great things about the VST is its support for an open standard. This allows freelance programmers and larger companies to freely create new VST's, therefore new ones are being created by people and companies every day! This also means that there are many, very powerful VST's that are FREE, or extremely inexpensive.

The VST-plugin creates an effect to the audio-data from host-program (VDJ), like for example echo, flanger - and can have its parameters changed by its user. It will change the audio stream live, according to the parameters in the VTS plugin (for example echo the music you are playing)

In many ways the VST plugins are similar to the original plugins for VDJ.

There are many thousands of VST plugins, ranging from really professional plugins like AutoTune (that will transpose vocals and is used my many well known music producers all over the world) to more basic plugins that will create a simple effect like echo.
And range from almost a complete program with many features – to a small basic plugin that will do one single little thing with your audio.

So, VST plugins can cost anything from a whole lot of money to be completely free J

There are also 3 different versions of VST plugins – one is called VST1 and are the one that can be used as effects in VDJ. Others are VST2 and VSTi, that can be instruments like a software synthesizer – and my best guess is that these can not be used by VDJ J

Because of the large range of VST plugins, and it’s diversity and different complexity, there will be some VST plugins that works great with VDJ, others that don’t work at all…

So that’s what this forum is about! Testing and finding VST plugins that work or don’t work with VDJ, and give feedback to other users of VDJ J

VST plugins you find, put them in EFFECTS folder of VDJ to test. You can make SUBFOLDERS for each VST plugin, so that you can keep files together, and delete if they don't work etc

****** IMPORTANT *************************
VST plugins will only work with VDJ version 2.0

So, as of know, this forum and the plugins discussed will only apply to full registered users of VDJ.

These plugins can not be used in any demo-version or console version of VDJ

DJ in Norway

geposted Tue 15 Jun 04 @ 6:06 pm
i know this is a dumb question but vsts work with 2.0+ right??

geposted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 6:38 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes they do.

But some VST's simply don't work with Virtual DJ, like VST instruments (guitar, piano, synth etc), but VST effects (Vocoders, Flangers, EQ etc) mostly work great.

geposted Sat 24 Sep 05 @ 12:33 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Something I learned last night I thought I'd post..thanks Brendan. Most vst's come in .rar format. This is another form of .zip files. You need to download the s/w to "unzip" the .rar file and then install in the effects folder.

geposted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 4:22 pm
pejo71Home userMember since 2005
I use only the T-Racks for mastering my mix.Works perfectly.

geposted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 6:42 pm
so how do i add my own vst's?

geposted Tue 14 Oct 08 @ 5:49 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Simple: copy and paste your VST .dll into the following folder

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Documents\VirtualDJ\Plugins\SoundEffect

geposted Tue 14 Oct 08 @ 6:12 am
GGCOMPRO InfinityMember since 2008
hi =)

how about being able to define where your vst folder is in options?

thx n greets=)

geposted Wed 22 Oct 08 @ 2:26 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can't at present. You'll need to suggest this in the wishes and new features forum, this isn't really the right place ;)

geposted Wed 22 Oct 08 @ 3:12 pm
You can't at present. You'll need to suggest this in the wishes and new features forum, this isn't really the right place ;)

como eu fasso para abaixar as cois aqui nesse site?

geposted Tue 25 Nov 08 @ 5:48 pm
Sorry, this is an english speaking forum so I don't understand I'm afraid.

geposted Mon 01 Dec 08 @ 6:51 pm
is there a way to send a 'midi-through' signal from my controller (which works with vdj) directly to a vst plugin...

the plugin itself (devastor demo from 'd16' ) features a 'midi learn function' but it doesn't recognize any movement of my controller

the only way seems to assign the midi controls in the option window of virtualdj itself to the 1st-5th parameter of an activated effect, which is to few and doesn't give the flexibility of tweaking withouth having to worry about which effect is activated at that moment...

geposted Fri 12 Dec 08 @ 8:24 am
No, as the MIDI device is already open by VDJ, and as you've discovered MIDI-Thru isn't supported.

You could probably use a utility like MIDI-OX or MIDI Yoke to create two virtual MIDI devices and map the signals.

geposted Wed 17 Dec 08 @ 4:34 am
I have a question!
How add effects of virtual dj to sound forge?

geposted Wed 11 Feb 09 @ 8:23 am
Virtual DJ is not supplied with effects that are compatible with other applications.

geposted Wed 11 Feb 09 @ 10:29 am
Ok. But It's no good. Better made plugin's with open contacts. It's my mind.

geposted Wed 11 Feb 09 @ 10:34 am
Virtual DJ supports VST plugins. It doesn't however supply them. The plugins supplied are specifically for VirtualDJ. The specific plugin format allows much greater flexibility.

geposted Wed 11 Feb 09 @ 11:02 am
Hey
I cannot seem to open my VST Plugins in my Virtual DJ 5.2 Pro.
The file they are in is ProgramFilesVirtualDJ/Plugins/SoundEffect
and when i go on to browser in VirtualDJ and open it, there is nothing there.
What am I doing wrong?
Cheers

geposted Tue 17 Feb 09 @ 3:23 pm
DJ-LGHome userMember since 2007
C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Documents\VirtualDJ\Plugins\SoundEffect ...> !!! ):

geposted Tue 24 Mar 09 @ 1:02 pm
Virtual DJ supports VST plugins . Yes?

geposted Thu 30 Apr 09 @ 3:04 am
36%