Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Change Default Location of /VirtualDJ/ System Folder (v8 on a PC)
I'm running VirtualDJ 8 on a PC. I have a partitioned internal HDD where C is the main/original drive and G: is my partitioned "Music" Drive. I synchronize that entire G: drive for backups, etc. I keep zero "DJ" stuff on Cdrive. But VirtualDJ creates it's default system folder on C/users/{username}/Documents/VirtualDJ/ I want to change that to G:/VirtualDJ so I can ensure all program settings, skins, history, etc. are with my backed up drive.

It's been years since I've dealt with the databases, settings, etc. I tried the registry tool which I thought I used to use back in v6 and v7 days, but it doesn't work. (It even says "Not needed for V8" so that makes sense) and I've bunches of spent time here searching for answers to no avail.

Thanks!

geposted Wed 26 Sep 18 @ 1:00 pm
I do exactly the same thing but my SSD is D drive.

I have modified my registry file for you. Basically download and keep it on your desktop and if you need to change the VDJ home folder to G just run this and it will change automatically.

Note, if you start VDJ without your drive connected (if using an external drive) it will default back to C, but all you need to do is run the file again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h762pzn05nd7217/VDJ%20Home%20G.reg?dl=0

Keith

geposted Wed 26 Sep 18 @ 1:46 pm
I have this same question but I use a Mac. How can you change the default load location with this?

geposted Sat 06 Oct 18 @ 12:15 am
No idea. Haven't had a Mac since 2009. Sorry.

geposted Sat 06 Oct 18 @ 12:16 am
Hello I also want to move the location of the virtualdj folder, if you could rehost your regedit or just post the info (making a regedit isnt that difficult with the right info) it would be greatly appreciated

geposted Fri 14 May 21 @ 6:30 pm
1) Click Windows key + R
2) write in: regedit
3) press enter or "OK"
4) Paste this in the search field at top: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VirtualDJ
( or: HKCU\Software\VirtualDJ)

There you can edit the "HomeFolder" entry to other location

Probably you can achieve same with just a symbolic link,
https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-symbolic-links-windows10/
("redirect" the folder to a new location)

geposted Fri 14 May 21 @ 7:02 pm
thank you normaly i would have done a symbolic link, but in this case the folder is inside my onedrive backup and the issue is it filled onedrive and now all my important backups no longer fit. thanks again for the quick reply :D

geposted Fri 14 May 21 @ 7:10 pm
Thanks Again having done this just saved my entire VDJ setup structure as I just had to reinstall windows and thanks to this none of my VDJ files where on my windows drive.

geposted Sat 24 Jul 21 @ 5:07 pm
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
I use SyncBackFree V9 to back up everything VDJ needs to operate, C, E, and external music F. Then I use Free File Sync to back it up to my D: backup drive, G: backup drive, and L: for redundancy. C's an SSD, E's an M.2 NVMe, F's my 5GB regular external drive and I've had great success with this setup.

geposted Sat 24 Jul 21 @ 5:50 pm
LIMOLPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Good evening
I also use SyncBack V9.5.22.0 (64 bits) for my automatic backups of all my important files.
Great software.
Cordially
LIMOL

geposted Sun 25 Jul 21 @ 11:21 pm