Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: save cue and other data to a tag field
Why can't cue data that is saved in the xml be also saved in the meta data, and recalled when needed, it is simples compared to the crazy stuff you guys achieve, i see so many solutions for every problem and this one I know is easy. I do it all the time with other data, so when it is saved why can't it just go into a field

geposted Fri 07 May 21 @ 9:10 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Why do all software want to write their own sh*t in media tracks ?
these are audio/video after all not a wiki :/

A 1KB "ping.mp3" can end up being GBs of dummy private incompatible datas added by any softwares just tested once for breaking other players due to different bugs, encoding support, endianness...
and... export those files to hardware is sometimes a mess

IMO (maybe I'm wrong) it's far better to use a dedicated companion file keeping original file as is
(and by the way this prevent some old school tag attacks and viruses)
and get specialized datas with the software that can use them

geposted Fri 07 May 21 @ 10:31 pm
I have been going into the xml file and copying the cue data and pasting it into the comments field. If I was to ever loose my cue points I'd beg devastated. The problem is, if you rename a file or move it vdj no longer recognises the track and associated cue points, yes you can rename filenames inside vsj, but it's hard to tell if you have setup cue points to a file, and well there are many reasons why a file may loose its link, and there are other things such as when vdj becomes standard, which I'm spreading the word, I did it decades ago when I started designing and became an apple fanboy, and this is the second time I have discovered something that In feel will change peoples lives for the better.
There must be reasons why what I am saying hasn't been done yet. I asked for something recently and the response was unbelievable, and I know this has been requested before. But I feel this could be a game changer. Now that I have found so many reasons for all the cue variants, I can see so many reasons for something to be implemented that makes it more usable, and not restricted. Surely adding the data to a field that already exists, or making the data available easier within the app, so that we can add it to a field of out choosing, and then on another computer tell vdj what field to extract it from, surely that could be something that gives us the power to choose and would help relieve any issue the previous person who commented had. I can write a script in apple, but I'm not sure I'd be able to do it quick enough, and I fear I might get obsessed, I need to spend more time learning to scratch, at the moment I'm obsessed with organising my music and scripting in vdj. I just know that this would appeal to alot of users, and it's so simple compared to the features we are given, that others are still not even close to, I don't want to sound ungrateful, it's just vdj has set the bar so high, I expect big things, and so far the tools have been given to us to answer all of our issues, but I can't fix this with a vdj script, or can I....?

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 2:42 am
I just downloaded a track and it was a folder with 3 files, ie instrumental and a capella, as it was for scratching. Thing is It had cue points already saved and they were not the auto mix ones they were actual labeled ones appearing in the pad. How is this possible

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 11:53 am
Could be some advantages saving cues and other info to tags, that VDJ could read..
Such as being able to send a file to other computer, and have the info there...

Maybe some future update will have something. But for now you can export with a mini database and all cues etc are kept to where you export to (usb stick etc)

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 11:57 am
raveledave69 wrote :
If I was to ever loose my cue points I'd beg devastated.

Be sure you keep a backup of your VDJ database - in the same way as you should be keeping backups of anything important. This is built into VDJ now.

Personally I prefer the VDJ way of doing things - not writing everything to the files - because I don't want the file dates to be constantly changing for a start. Second is access time. It's far quicker for VDJ to search the database than having to read each individual file to get information.

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 1:17 pm
Agreed.

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 2:27 pm
I just downloaded a file and it had cues saved shall i upload link

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 3:22 pm

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 3:23 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
geob tag, how serato does it. [custom proprietary tag that vdj reverse enginerded]

Until there's a official dj tagging standard, there's always a compromise whichever method is used to save cues [tags or database]

Serato cues comes with lots of limitations [limited number to start, limited colour]
vdj went with database from the start, one or two tracks to move and seems overkill but dealing with thousands of tracks [or backing up an entire database] and it's obviously better.
but vdj is still a compromise and the team has made exporting easy.

geposted Sun 09 May 21 @ 4:38 pm
c18ccPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I would also LOVE if VDJ had the ability to write tags to the actual music file. As a longtime & frequent user, I've encountered my fair share of database errors. It's also a pain when you need to reorganize folders or edit artist or album info within other software (iTunes, etc). This would all be easily avoidable if VDJ could write to the file.

Maybe even the possibility for a "hybrid" option, where VDJ reads from its own database (for speed), but still gives the option to write info to the actual files (security, ease of transfer)...the best of both worlds.

I agree with the OP: the VDJ team is *constantly* several steps ahead of the competition, and this does seem like a "simple" request after seeing VDJ cues now being exported to Pioneer CDJs. I would assume that is a similar metadata writing on the file to what's being requested here.

geposted Tue 11 May 21 @ 8:09 pm
So if the file that I downloaded, had serato cue points saved into it and that is what has loaded up, can vdj not use that swell even if it was just to save the main cues, as that would be handy if there was a serato and no vdj setup. This again would make vdj more attractive, as people would not be afraid to use vdj as there home setup, because if they was in a serato only situation, vdj would have that saved and able to show up in serato. Or is it an issue due to software licence, and vdj can load up the serato cues but not actually replicate the actual adding and removing of the cues?

geposted Thu 13 May 21 @ 5:31 pm
TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
so "setTagsAuto" is not going to write to file.

geposted Fri 14 May 21 @ 8:59 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
"hybrid" and/or "options", because there are as many way of using the software as DJs

All I see with cues in the file is ...OK for individual restricted and limited use only (good for limited time summer hits going to trash next 6 months, not for long time hits in multiple DJ club, not for multi purpose use of a track i.e.: different remixes = different sets of cues)

A club with say 4 DJs will have to duplicate all its collection 4 times (once per DJ) as well as backups and make them writable ;^\
when cues are in database, an account per DJ and everything is up. even with a ead only collection ^^
only 1 collection and 5 database to backup (one clean of cues extra database for write enabled manager account) and a set of cue can go with any virtual folder link, not fulltrack

Imagine if cues differ depending on DJ and type of prestation... and there are 4 dancefloors... with stems^^
Cues in database based on "username" could be even better (no need to switch OS user account, only virtual dj one)

geposted Fri 14 May 21 @ 9:23 am
TVD UK wrote :
so "setTagsAuto" is not going to write to file.

will write common tags to file.
Like artist, title, etc

But not full database entries

geposted Fri 14 May 21 @ 9:29 am