Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: First wedding event DJ'ing alone. One of the worst experiences, so far. - Deeply feeling some sincere empathy for that poor bride.. and Groom. He'll never hear the end of this, i'm sure. - Page: 1
Been using VDJ for months and I have not had this issue. Though, tonight of all nights, it just happened. That when searching for songs that I was either getting from one off requests or from the 3hr playlist the Bride provided me. (should have been an easy first event with the playlist) Though, her playlist was from spotify. Being that i'm using VDJ 2021, no more direct spotify integration.

First, i purchased a 3rd party app to convert the songs and import local but that was taking too long. So i start searching for each song, individually, through VDJ. I was going to say 50/50 but in full honesty. It was more like 85% not the correct artist and was a Karaoke or Remixed version of the original artst. Though they were not labeled as such. They just had a plane jane artist-song name format. Meaning i couldnt tell the difference when i selected them what I was getting into. I now know the subtle differences but still doesnt change the fact that for whatever reason. These were the ONLY results i would get when searching. Couldnt find any options that would have caused this. I rebooted when i got home, setup everything the same way I always do and it's still doing it even now.

Anyone know why this is happening?!

geposted Sun 28 Aug 22 @ 10:00 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
-It is not very smart to show up as dj for a wedding and just get the playlist at that time. This should be part of your preparation
-I don't think it's very smart to rely only on an online service, you should have build a base catalog of songs that you bring with you that would at least allow you to do a decent job for the party you have been asked for
-Beyond that, online services can be a great addition for requests at the event itself
-You didn't mention which service you tried to use in VirtualDJ
iDJPool is great for newer songs and offers custom dj edits and remixes for many songs, but it doesn't have everything
For a very broad catalog similar to Spotify, Deezer or Tidal are probably better choices.

geposted Sun 28 Aug 22 @ 10:21 am
I'm just going by what you've written here (So, I don't know the full story). Weddings take months of planning, A Wedding DJ should have at least done a few weeks of the same when it comes to music prep for that one important event.

geposted Sun 28 Aug 22 @ 11:33 am
You used a third party app to convert Spotify songs to play for a wedding .... Not only is that not smart it's not legal. I'm not even sure using tidal in vdj is allowed for playing in public . If you want to be a serious dj preparation is the most important thing you can do Buy your music Either through a dj pool or legal download Prepare your playlist ahead of time And use streaming as a last resort for a song someone requests that you might not have. Wedding dj start at $1200-1500 a wedding around here. Buy your music pay for your software . With this being one of the most important days in someone's life, don't be a hack

geposted Sun 28 Aug 22 @ 9:10 pm
Seems to me that some of the blame for this disaster has to be with the bride & groom hiring someone who has zero wedding experience to play at their wedding.

I would've though that one of their first questions when deciding on a DJ would be "how many weddings have you done?"......

geposted Mon 29 Aug 22 @ 8:20 am
i am actually a wedding dj i have built up over 20,000 songs. when i comes to a wedding ask for the main songs like main dance and final song, ask for say a few songs that are your favs or special moments for you, even ask what there fav group is and there parents fav artist is too, engage in conversation so they feel comfortable, dont use online if you can, have it all prepared for when u arrive, i use a virtual folder with brides name on it with any songs they have requested, try n stay away from full playlists if u can help it, explain to them that u might have to adapt a change to it if people dont dance etc.n make it sound as if your complimenting there music but u want to add some of your magic as a dj to there big day to make it a success

geposted Mon 29 Aug 22 @ 8:49 am

geposted Mon 29 Aug 22 @ 9:45 am
This just goes to show the massive divide between professional wedding DJs and the ones that think they are.

Can't really believe I'm reading this. So many things wrong.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 22 @ 10:12 am
DJMBR01PRO InfinityMember since 2015
" not very smart "

Succinct, and, based on what was alleged, prima facie valid!

As to, “Anyone know why this is happening?!”, See Above.

geposted Mon 29 Aug 22 @ 5:38 pm
serieBPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Sorry Joseph, but the lack of homework + Murphy's Laws goes into these kind of situations.
Next time you will do it right ;-)

geposted Mon 29 Aug 22 @ 9:13 pm
mrdjalPRO InfinityMember since 2009
djjohnnyrox wrote :
You used a third party app to convert Spotify songs to play for a wedding .... Not only is that not smart it's not legal. I'm not even sure using tidal in vdj is allowed for playing in public . If you want to be a serious dj preparation is the most important thing you can do Buy your music Either through a dj pool or legal download Prepare your playlist ahead of time And use streaming as a last resort for a song someone requests that you might not have. Wedding dj start at $1200-1500 a wedding around here. Buy your music pay for your software . With this being one of the most important days in someone's life, don't be a hack

Well Said

geposted Thu 01 Sep 22 @ 5:32 pm
I agree a lot of the blame falls on you for not doing your prep. It involves several meetings with the bride and groom, possible rehearsals and lots and lots of preparation.

If it's really your first wedding you have no way of knowing this, so you kinda have to take the L on it and learn from your mishaps.

If I were you I would shadow some professional wedding DJs and offer to assist them so you can learn the ropes. It's a completely different game than just showing up to a bar or club and playing. 90% of the work you'll put into a wedding is already done prior to the event itself.

Good luck and try not to worry about it too much, you'll get better at it as you get more experience.

geposted Fri 02 Sep 22 @ 2:43 am
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
I personally rely on streaming ONLY, in my experience way more stable nowadays than USB-based storage devices. I have a Samsung T7 touch, but every now and then, there is a hickup in the drivers which VDJ does not seem to handle well - leading to a "database corrupted" message and a restart of VDJ. I never had such trouble with streaming, so whenever I play a serious gig, I deliberately use streaming services only. That said, it is not always easy to find the right song version, but Deezer does a pretty decent job, and I also cue the song first to my headphones to ensure it is not a karaoke-version or cheesy Mantovani cover.

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 7:18 am
Sepatro wrote :
Deezer does a pretty decent job

Deezer is for personal use only (as it clearly states next to the option in VDJ).

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 8:31 am
I've used Samsung SSDs for years with no issues. Check your computer as there's something not right with your setup.

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 8:34 am
kradcliffe wrote :
I've used Samsung SSDs for years with no issues. Check your computer as there's something not right with your setup.

Streaming works fine to me!

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 9:21 am
groovindj wrote :
Sepatro wrote :
Deezer does a pretty decent job

Deezer is for personal use only (as it clearly states next to the option in VDJ).

It works great. Best company.

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 9:22 am
Whether it "works great" or not, you should not be using it to provide music at gigs.

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 9:29 am
groovindj wrote :
Whether it "works great" or not, you should not be using it to provide music at gigs.

That's not the topic here, right? Besides, that all depens on local copyright laws (I usually do gigs at international waters exclusively with my own songs).

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 9:57 am
Sepatro wrote :
that all depens on local copyright laws

No. if Deezer's terms and conditions state that their service is for personal use only, then their service is for personal use only - period.

geposted Sat 03 Sep 22 @ 3:13 pm
65%