Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: XJ10 (ant other) questions

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I got few questions before I commit to buy one:

First, I'm using solely my laptop + VDJ (right now with Hercules MK2).
I'm thinking to get just one XJ10(expensive). How do you fade from one to another then - it only has 1 output to main mixer. I see that you can "switch" between consoles you control in VDJ, but how do you mix sound then?

I do not do scratches I solely do beatmix and getting into harmonic mixes, I use beatmatch with beatlock, what'd be main benefit of XJ10 for me? Reason I want to get rid of MK2 is sound and build quality (it's more of home usage, not pro). I've looked into DAC3, and it's rackmount - not big on rackmounts right now (I'm a mobile DJ), plus you need extra sound cards - kind of pain in the butt with a laptop.

I see that Behringer is coming out with controller, but not sure if it's any good.

Any other suggestions?

geposted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 7:07 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
First of all, it isn't XJ10 but XP10.

XP10 are professional controlers, that's why they have been made to use with a Hardware mixer. To fade from one song to another will have to be done with a mixer.

geposted Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 7:23 pm
In other words, if I use VDJ only, I have to have two XP10s?

So then can anyone elaborate XP10 vs DAC3, which would be better? XP10 are obviously more expensive.

geposted Wed 29 Mar 06 @ 12:32 am
You would need two XP10's and an external mixer (Unless you use the onscreen mixer in VDJ) - You would also need an external mixer as well as a soundcard with 2 stereo outputs for the DAC-3.

If you are used to dual CD-players, the DAC-3 would be your best choice. It can be optionally rackmounted with an external mixer in a flightcase, or used stand-alone. Its main advantages over the XP10 is LCD displays, better quality buttons, lighted play & cue and a metal case rather than plastic.

If you are used to separate table-top players and/or scratching is important, the XP10 would be the best choice. They have the advantage of being lightweight and having a built-in soundcard as well as a touch-sensitive platter for scratching. However, they have no LCD displays or indicator lights of any sort and the buttons can be prone to breaking (Stop on one of mine broke after a month or so of use.)

Both the XP10 and DAC-3 have plenty of buttons for controlling functions of VDJ including loops and FX. The XP10 has a mapper built into VDJ that allows the buttons to be customised. I am currently working on adding this functionality to my DAC-3 mapper.

geposted Wed 29 Mar 06 @ 1:24 am
OK, then other question - where do I get that XP10. Since my partner DJ and I work together, We'll probably go with one of each, i.e. I get the 2x XP10 and he'll get DAC3.

VDJ's store doesn't have those XP10's available (At least it doesn't show for me).

Another question, which PCMCIA or USB sound card would be good to use with DAC3 on laptop?

geposted Wed 29 Mar 06 @ 8:59 pm
Hi Dami,

Choosing between the DAC-3 and XP10 depends on your specific needs. But, I would suggest the DAC-3 if you are prone to giving your equipement a beating. The DAC-3 seems much more robust than the XP10.

XP10's must be handled with care if you're going to keep them for a long time.

As for the price of the XP10: If you are patient enough, you could wait for a pair of XP10's to pop up on E-Bay. That's how I got mine. They work perfectly, and I got them for almost half the price.

So far, I've seen 3 pairs of XP10's up for bids on E-Bay since last october.

Cheers!

Internodal.

geposted Fri 31 Mar 06 @ 10:17 am
The VDJ branded XP10's are not available at the moment, but you can but standard XP10's directly from the manufacturer: http://eks.fi/index.php?page=xp10_order

For the DAC-3, you will need a soundcard with atleast 2 stereo outputs (One for each channel.) The Maya 44 USB used to be a good choice, but this is hard to get hold of now (No-longer manufactured.) I think the U64DJ soundcard replaces it as the recommended ASIO soundcard, but it's expensive.

geposted Fri 31 Mar 06 @ 1:20 pm
Riight, except only "problem" of paying 400 euros from Finland - that's WAAAY too much for plastic controller.

geposted Mon 03 Apr 06 @ 1:22 am
You know, Dami, I don't want to push a sale on you, but I will say this: These "plastic controllers" really kick some butt.

They do require special care, because I doubt they'd take much abuse. A few over-enthusiastic button presses, and you could end up pushing a button through the case (ask L_RIDS on this one...) However, like I said, if you and your partner have taken the habit of handling your equipement with good care, then I'm sure you would never regret spending some big money on a pair of XP10's.

You can scratch, cue, beat mix, ajust pitch, whatever your heart desires. Scratching is really the highlight of the XP10. With the touch-sensitive jog-wheel, you can scratch almost as with vinyl. If you're only into beat-mixing, I'm pretty sure the XP10 is just as great as the DAC-3 for this task. It's such a breeze to scan a song and set cue points when you have an external controller.

On another topic, Virtual DJ's XP10 mapper is extra-complete. You can program any function to any button. You can also combine the 2 "SHIFT" buttons with any other button, slider or dial. All this makes the XP10 my controller of choice to use with Virtual DJ.

And the audio sounds surprisingly good for a pair of USB 1.1 devices.

Internodal.

geposted Mon 10 Apr 06 @ 6:35 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)