Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Mixing for "diverse" crowds?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

djkingcHome userMember since 2008
Recently I was asked go DJ my office party. I had just got my Mk2 so it was a great chance to show what I have taught myself. Now I work with mostly white folks, some which like hip hop (booty shake) as my coworker calls it. So I told them to send me songs they want to h want to hear so I can download them. I got no requests and played what i had, which was hip hop. Needless to say I cleared the room (this wasn't a tasteless collection mind you.)
Was I wrong for not having a more diversified selection (rock, Top 40, or pop) or was I right for staying true to my playlist? Also how do you handle requests when you have your mind made up on what you want to play already?

geposted Fri 12 Dec 08 @ 8:55 pm
Office parties require a little bit of everything, Classic Rock, Hip Hop, Disco, Pop and some slow stuff will serve you well for functions like this.
Maybe even a few oldies from the 50's through the 70's. Parties like this are tough, a well-rounded library of tunes will save you a lot of head-ache. Good luck.

geposted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 10:57 am
so wut would an office party have..is it like all the workerzz in the office taken a brake and therez a dj playin and everybody dancin..or is it just people talkn and listening to music..

geposted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 2:07 pm
That depends on the crowd? I was supposed to DJ at my office party!! but they forgot?? (so they say!) but I walk into the party and ICE ICE baby is playing!! OK I have been doing this for a long time and I know for sure YOU DONT PLAY THAT!!! No one was dancing. Oh I forgot to mention the crowd was very diverse and age diversed also!! Not trying to take away from the guy they hired!!! He was as dry as I ever saw a noob!!...LOL He said he has been DJ'ing for over 10yrs but he looked nervous as hell!!!...LOL Like it was mention before and in other post I saw know your crowd!! Play what they want to hear like a list which most office parties will give you but dont play JUST THAT!! like the guy at mine was.. Also know your music!! If some one ask you for a song and you download it like the guy at my party was doing? Make sure its the right one!!..lol I asked for a marenge' song a old one. EVERY DJ should know and he downloaded a techno version of it?? ..lol I was ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! My experience at office parties that I have done in the past that people will dance to just about everything (even ice ice baby) if the DJ has some flare and presence!! That is something We as Dj's forget sometimes.. We are hired to play music and entertain, (depending on the crowd) play what is asked of you (from sober people!!) and you will be a hit no matter what you play!!

geposted Tue 16 Dec 08 @ 10:16 am
I was recently at a pretty diverse 50th birthday party and the DJ...... well to say the least tried..... But obviously you do not go from Frank Sinatra to a salsa track... The guys were all off beat, not consistant and did a pretty good job at Clearing the Dance Floor... A major No No in our line of business... The best part was that he was getting paid top dollar for it. Now I have been doing this for years and I know that if you have a diverse crowd, in this case 40 and over you play certain songs to motivate the older crowd yet keep the younger crowd interested. I have taken Acid and remixed 50's, 60's and 70's tunes to keep things alive.

It all comes down to dedicating the time to move the crowd. If not you are just playing trax and not going anywhere. Think outside the box sometimes and try to picture the party the way you want it to go. If you play a track and everyone bails... It is time to change it up to get everyone back... Not only do you have to pay attention to the music, but you have to pay attention to the crowd as well...

Good luck.

geposted Mon 22 Dec 08 @ 3:02 pm
djkingcHome userMember since 2008
That was what I was looking for. Thanks for the insight. It's exactly the answer I thought I'd get. As I am expanding my musical palette to get my name out, I'll continue to work on this.

geposted Fri 02 Jan 09 @ 8:30 pm
DJAuzPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Corporate gigs are always the hardest to get the songs 'right'. I do many christmas parties and are still surprised how diverse the response will be from party to party! Sometimes it's either 50s and 60s all night or no one will dance, others it's gotta be 00s, Current and perhaps late 90s or no one will dance.

My advice would be prepare a wide selection of genres, and play perhaps 15 minutes of each until you spark some interest. When you do stick to that genre until the floor starts to empty then try something new!

Also grab the mic and actually say, "If you have any requests I'd love to hear it"!

Also by 'downloading' songs I hope you mean legally purchasing ;)

Also don't forget to enter your software license details here ; http://www.virtualdj.com/users/edit.html so we all know you doing the right thing!

Good Luck for next time! :D

geposted Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 4:09 pm
i agree with dubblej its interesting to start with stuff some folks of different taste can appreciate and slowly take them in a little different direction and introduce them to some things they might never have heard otherwise,thats why i kinda dont set a genre as to what i mix,as long as it sounds good in the mix ill play it

geposted Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 12:31 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)