Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: DJs Vs. MCs - Your Experience

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

So the club where i work hired an MC/Promoter who grabs the mic and wont shut the hell up! All night long he is yelling into the mic, stopping all the songs and requesting what he wants to hear to pump up the crowd, so he says.
Im used to grabbing the mic here and there and complement the sexy ladies, the bad mofos, tell everyone that this is how it goes down every Friday and Saturday night, etc.
People dance all night long, or at least were, now people are not dancing anymore and some of them are really annoyed at this. I've already pointed this out to the club manager and his response was "he is a promoter, he brings people, and the sales of drinks are up, he keeps people at the bar".

Im at the point where my skills are no longer being used, instead, im this MCs puppet! Im contemplating the idea of quitting, and taking up another deal at a different club, i will be taking about 100 of 600+ people with me (my groupies lol) where do you draw the line? The promoters who i work for don't seem to give a crap and are very confident their parties are the sh!t right now.
But I've had enough of this clown yelling in my ear all night long! People go to clubs to dance, drink and have a good time with friends, not to have someone yell in their ear all night long. Your input please...

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 4:08 pm
You have the Mic control on the mixtable - Shut him off

That might get shown the exit in a hurry though.

You've had you meeting with the owner, but he is only interested in making money. I would be too.

I might stick it out, or leave depending on how this guy is treating me personally. I've worked with MC's - at a strip club and you think it's irritating at a dance club...... even at my current lounge gig, I have a "MC" - he's a bouncer that thinks he's a rapper. He sucks but he's a great guy, so I let him yabber away and laugh or smirk and just play music.

Only thing I would try and get cast in stone with the owner is.... He yaps, I play the music. He can yap all he wants as long as he stops interfering with my music playing.

That'd be the route I'd look to go

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 4:41 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
i feel for you, i could not work with an mc, they may be a great guy and all that but i have never gettin' away with all that shouting into the mic and stuff.

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 5:27 pm
djnutzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
When you took the gig did you get a signed contract?

I have dealt with just about every type of club owner out there. They all care about one thing: making money. They want to make as much money as possible while spending as little as possible. It's the basic business model. Unless you all by yourself can control what happens to the bottom line, then you "ain't got shit."

The one big problem we face is that unless you are one of about 5 select DJ's in the world and could actually fill a concert venue all by yourself, then a club owner could get by with a laptop on Automix. It wouldn't be along term solution, but it could be done. And 99.9% of club crowds wouldn't even notice the difference.

So, the lesson to be learned from all of this is to have a signed contract between the club owner and yourself. The contract needs to state in black and white the hours and work to be performed and the compensation plan. Make sure you have riders if you want a drink tab either for yourself or as freebies to give away. Include special occasions, events and holidays if pay needs to change (I charge triple for holidays). Make sure you also allow for wording regarding programming content. If you can get control of what get's played, then it's one more skill that adds to your value in the club owner's eyes. And make sure the contract has a timeline. Could be a year, could be a month or 6 months. Club owners are used to renewing liquor licenses and the like, so renewing an entertainment contract with a DJ should be no big deal.

If the owner won't sign a contract, then I'd boogie on down the road. It isn't worth the headaches and stress.

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 5:55 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I know that too.. once at a gig early these yr, this mc yell at me and make me look as an amateur dj. Pls ladies n gentleman, this clown get there at 5pm. i was there since 4pm. He could tell me what his plan are n work it out with me but alas.. prior to 5 min to 7pm the event start he then tell me his plan.

I never work with him before thus as everyone know.. each mc and dj have different style of working. ... so to cut story short... when a moment there i did not follow his plan , he yell at me.. hell yeah i feel gonna switch off everything n packed up my stuff but due to professionalism that i do as all these yr make me stay as i do not want to embarrassed the owner and my referral. BUT one thing for sure i will never work with that person again. Period.

On another note some mc are nice to work with and mutual understanding is often developed during this;)

It ur choice but if i were u n feel been make a puppet i leave.. but that's me.

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 6:00 pm
djrasza wrote :
"he is a promoter, he brings people, and the sales of drinks are up, he keeps people at the bar".

that is the point. The owner obviously sees this step was needed. They hired this person as a promoter. You are just the dj as far as owner is concerned. I would talk to promoter show him what you do and work together. If they see you as nothing but a jukebox then you can be replaced. If you and the MC get a relationship I am sure you can put on quite a show. Problem is if drink sales are up the owner is looking at bottom line.
Look at the Jazzy jeff youtube's when he has his hype man. Main point is communication. You can leave but there is no guarantees that anyone will follow you. If you are replaced with a decent dj the atmosphere , location ect is what guest look at. Sometimes us dj's think we are more important than we need to be and forget there is a budding dj right around the corner in thier bed room waiting for a spot.

so just talk and work stuff out

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 6:17 pm
keeping people at the bar only lasts for so long if they arent having a good time - and an empty dance floor because the customers are getting pissed at someone interrupting their music is not gonna help.
when someone walks in the front door and sees people standing around, not dancing and the dancefloor is the focal point of the club then their gonna think "okay to have a drink in but we arent gonna spend the night (and their money) there"
i am by no means an MC, but i make announcements when necessary and occasionally say somthing stupid on the mic (...if you're dancing with an ugly woman tonight make some noise! the guys in there love that one, but its gotten some of them slapped.) if my crowd needs more pumping up then i'm not playin music right.

which brings us back around to management vs. dj
management, unless they've been dj's at one point or another, almost NEVER wants to see things from the booths point of view and almost always has their minds set in stone about what they want. ours wants us to do things like completely stop the music for announcements or having the other dj "hype up" the crowd about how much fun they're having. but he doesnt realize that the energy levels in the bar drop like a brick EVERY time he has either one of us stop the music whether its country or dance music and then as they all leave the dance floor cause there's nothing playing he can't figure out why they don't just run back out to the floor and dance - he has us talk for so long that they lose interest and find other things to do. and while i understand that there are times (rarely) when it absolutely has to be stopped, like when the EMTs had to check this guys pulse/heartbeat/breathing (glass jaw - he took a nice long nap) it still kills the energy. dropping the music low isnt great either but its not as bad.

and i've had customers complain to me about the other guy talking so much - and have to explain to them that the management keeps making him talk, that he's not talking cause he likes to play with a microphone.

and your management better hope they enjoy the increase in bar sales - it wont last if they can't keep the customers in because they arent having a good time.

geposted Sun 05 Apr 09 @ 9:26 pm
I only use MCs i personally know - and have spoken to before the gig and set down what i expect from them. I also let them know they are not required for the whole night - but feel free to put some drinks on my tab! That usually keeps them happy!

geposted Mon 06 Apr 09 @ 3:38 am
GraomiPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I feel for you on this, luckily I have never had to put up with an MC while I am working but most of the clubs in Ayia Napa here do have them and they never shut up, i wont stay long ina club as a customer if there is an MC as they just ruin the music for me (which is why i go clubbing after all).

However the MC's here seem to get a lot of reaction from the tourist crowds here...all that "Who had sex tonight" nonsense which just seems so tacky and embvarresing to me but there you go.

I think it depends on the crowd, whether one works out and even though my boss is always asking me to talk more to the customers over the mic, i try and let the music do the talking.

John

geposted Mon 06 Apr 09 @ 4:43 am
I've never worked with a MC that promotes drinks although I have done bar promo's myself on the mic as a DJ at bars n stuff. I have worked with proper MC's and they have been very good, both myself and them have complemented each other and worked as a team in time with the music.

A lot of MC's in the UK are celebrities in the rave seen and add personality to the night so the DJ can concentrate on doing his mixing, scratchin, tricks etc.

In your case it sounds like he’s a “get yourself to the bar for a vodka and redbull, their two for one tonight” type of MC

geposted Mon 06 Apr 09 @ 5:55 am
take a camera to work and record some of this bozo so we can see and hear whats goin' on. then we can really trash him.

geposted Mon 06 Apr 09 @ 8:01 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Detest mic jockeys, stfu and play the music dude.

geposted Mon 06 Apr 09 @ 8:47 am
I hate club MCs, love performance MCs.

Nothing worse than someone interrupting everything every now and then to yell about nonsense. But if an MC can work with you and the music, add a new level and keep the crowd going, you know the thing, then I'm all for it.

geposted Thu 09 Apr 09 @ 8:01 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I'm my own MC, and I'm self basting.....

geposted Thu 09 Apr 09 @ 12:30 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
is that legal in public....

geposted Fri 10 Apr 09 @ 6:03 am
it must be. he's a master at it.

small club up the street that just opened has one of those non-stop mic hogs who likes to think he's good with a mic - and all he sounds like is one of those "posse" guys - the ones that walk around the stage during a rap concert saying "yeah", "it's ya boy", and other stupidities, while the rapper tries to rap a verse. these are not my words - the 10-12 people who left there last night made it a point to tell me while they were asking for their songs...

because they said he was on the mic so much they couldnt hear their songs while they were being played.

geposted Fri 10 Apr 09 @ 9:39 am
options?

1)become your own Emcee, while you DJ...
2)work together with your Emcee on when your He or She talks...
3)kill switch, give him dead batteries, unplug the mic cabel, or make a small cut on the cabel
4)big bag of lime and a shovel...

geposted Sun 24 May 09 @ 9:46 am
If it's a real necessity - do your own Mic work.

geposted Sun 24 May 09 @ 5:11 pm
Hey I FOund My Old Post!!! lol

well sadly this venue nosedived after this dude came in, i quit a few days later about a month later these promoters were kicked out because they were averaging 60-80 people a night in a place that has a capacity of 600+. Its a good thing ive met good people along the way and they hired me the day after i quit, and things are going very well...
Will look for some videos to post up so you see what i was talking about...

CHeers!

geposted Thu 23 Jul 09 @ 11:19 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)