Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: i think i'm a boring dj

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

i've been a bedroom dj for i'd say 2 years, but only got deeply into ut in the last 8 months. I'd love to play in a club in the near future.

I only have 100 songs on the computer or so, but i cant think of anymore where to buy. My music is pritty much the same. I mainly like mixing uk funky house as it has a good beat to play with. I also like most songs, bar rock and indie to play with.

I like to play around the 115 ~ 130 bpm. Problem is, i think i lack style. I cant play different songs and mix them. I end up mixing the same play list and gets boring.

I used to mix using beat matching, but as i now discovered hot cue's and now mastered looping, i use that.

My main problem i think is style. I think my mixes are boring and all the same, even the g.f has said she gets bored of the same stuff.

I need ideas for mixing, and a larger data base of songs. I'll upload a mix later to let you decide the pro and cons.

I'd also like to scratch, but i can only do the back and forth move. You cant run before you walk..

Thanks,
Dan

geposted Wed 25 Nov 09 @ 12:10 pm
Click on the link and read the 11th and 12th post; the info might help:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/9931/Mix_lessons/Club_Mixing.html?page=13

dannyboy2005 wrote :
I only have 100 songs on the computer or so…. My main problem i think is style. I think my mixes are boring and all the same, even the g.f has said she gets bored of the same stuff.

I think that you should focus on getting more music than improving your style. The best DJ in the world would eventually bore people if he mixed the same music all the time.

dannyboy2005 wrote :
I used to mix using beat matching, but as i now discovered hot cue's and now mastered looping, i use that.

Ask your girlfriend to pick out 20 of her favorite songs. Actually have her listen to them and cue the parts in each song that she really likes. Ask her if those parts made her want to dance or cause some kind of sensation to flow through her body. If they did, you should loop and beat mix those parts together. However, you must use your DJ intuition to determine if the songs sound good together. Try to select the instrumental parts that she likes in each song or a vocal part in one song that flows well with an instrumental part in another song. Most experience DJs can hear a song and automatically start mixing other parts of songs with it in their heads. Consequently, use the 10 best songs that flow well together and make her a quick mix. Ask her if she likes that style better. Also, have her give copies to her friends and ask them if they liked the mix.

dannyboy2005 wrote :
You cant run before you walk..

Very true…I can remember trying to crawl through a mix.

dannyboy2005 wrote :
I'll upload a mix later to let you decide the pro and cons.

Letting other DJs critique your mix will definitely help you improve your skills. Unfortunately, when you upload a mix, you usually will get brief responses.

dannyboy2005 wrote :
i've been a bedroom dj for i'd say 2 years, but only got deeply into ut in the last 8 months. I'd love to play in a club in the near future.

Click on the link and read my last two quotes in the 6th post:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/9931/Mix_lessons/Club_Mixing.html?page=14

OO

geposted Sat 28 Nov 09 @ 3:01 pm

geposted Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 1:22 pm
oO, Thanks for you very detailed reply.

In the last few days, I've been spending loads of money, and time on downloading #1 Hits, in the US and UK from 1995, i downloaded 30+ that i actually like and think i can mix.

After a quick mix i thought i could show off to the G/f. She came round and played a mini mix of 20 minutes or so. She loved it, although in some places said i can improve. The "Beat Mixing" (making the beats from one song carry onto the other song, as she said) made it sound really good.

I started straight at about 120BPM, dropped down to around 80BPM then gradually moved it up. Had me dancing away too.

One thing me and her noticed was I didn't let the song play in full. Half way through the song i like to beat mix it into the other song, thus causing vocal over vocals and sounded rubbish. Although some songs turned out really good.

I varied my mixing. Ranging from back spin, brake, flanger and the odd loop of a instrumental or vocal. Although i think i need to listen more in my headphones to master some of my loops, its not quite seamless as you would expect. Back spin sounds nice if ranging from one tempo, drastically to another. I'm not 100% sure what cut is? (Could you please explain?)

All in all, she was very pleased. She said a vast improvement from last time she last herd me and says i'm getting better (I'm sure she's just trying to make me feel happy lol).

The only downside is, i need much much more songs to play with! Any ideas where to get a huge bank of songs? first guess is YouTube as if your playing one song, it links you to other similar songs of the same genre

Thanks for the pointers oO, Your awesome!

geposted Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 4:44 pm
dannyboy

i had the same musical selectoin problem...i had alot of music but it was all from the same artist from the same cd...i joined a dj pool..instantly my music jumped...you have to decide which pool will best suit you for your dj method.. in the end your result will be the determing factor..

geposted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 1:24 pm
dannyboy2005, it's a very good topic you created here. To be honnest, I also have this feeling to "be a boring dj" and I'm going to read Double O's posts and follow carefully this topic !

mistah_p, sorry, what do you mean by "dj pool" ? Maybe my English is too bad to understand that, I'm afraid ;-P

thanks guys

Morpheo

geposted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 1:45 pm
DjMorpheo22 wrote :

mistah_p, sorry, what do you mean by "dj pool" ? Maybe my English is too bad to understand that, I'm afraid ;-P

Morpheo

like a record pool, i did a little research on it myself cuz i didnt know what it was either.basicly its a site or sites where your able to pay for your music so you legally obtain your music vs getting it thru the freeware/share sites.

geposted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 1:52 pm
Okay, thanks mate !

Morpheo

geposted Wed 02 Dec 09 @ 3:41 am
i tend to like uk club. Ie, dizzie rascal, to daft punk. Quite difficult to pick one genre. I dont like trance

geposted Thu 03 Dec 09 @ 12:09 pm
mekanszHome userMember since 2009
thanks

geposted Sat 05 Dec 09 @ 10:04 am
dannyboy2005 wrote :
I'm not 100% sure what cut is? (Could you please explain?)

cut and paste the following into your browser (a link doesn’t work):

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cuttin'%20%26%20scartchin'

From my understanding, cuttin' is when you use scratchin' to transition from one song to another. Another way of explaining it is to imagine playing a song and scratchin' another song over it. When you stop scratchin', you quickly fade out the song that was playing and have thereby cut in the other song into the mix. However, I’ve heard DJs use the terms cuttin' and scartchin' interchangeably. Therefore, to answer your question, to cut is to scratch in my opinion.

OO

geposted Wed 09 Dec 09 @ 10:57 am
try searching on itunes they usually have a pop up on the side saying what artists sound like the one u selected or music similar it helps sometimes

geposted Fri 11 Dec 09 @ 8:52 am
Double O wrote :
dannyboy2005 wrote :
I'm not 100% sure what cut is? (Could you please explain?)

cut and paste the following into your browser (a link doesn’t work):

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cuttin'%20%26%20scartchin'

From my understanding, cuttin' is when you use scratchin' to transition from one song to another. Another way of explaining it is to imagine playing a song and scratchin' another song over it. When you stop scratchin', you quickly fade out the song that was playing and have thereby cut in the other song into the mix. However, I’ve heard DJs use the terms cuttin' and scartchin' interchangeably. Therefore, to answer your question, to cut is to scratch in my opinion.

OO

Thank You oO

I quiet regularly have the cross fade in the middle, playing one song then scratch the other song (baby scratch over a beat) then play and get them to match up. Sounds quite good.

I think my problem has/ still is lack of music. I got 100's of songs ranging from 70's to 09'. I like the upbeat music to mix with, as i find the beat is quite basey and songs have intro's and outro's to play with.

Practise makes perfect.

geposted Sat 12 Dec 09 @ 7:26 pm
I am a newbie myself. Started mixing about 8 months ago. I "know" what you mean. What I did when it happened to me: I listen to other DJ's mixes. Not only I found out many "new" songs from their mixes, but I also found out some new styles for my mixes. Check out www.house-mixes.com , there are plenty of good mixes there.

geposted Sun 20 Dec 09 @ 6:20 am
indigodeville wrote :
I am a newbie myself. Started mixing about 8 months ago. I "know" what you mean. What I did when it happened to me: I listen to other DJ's mixes. Not only I found out many "new" songs from their mixes, but I also found out some new styles for my mixes. Check out www.house-mixes.com , there are plenty of good mixes there.

I regularly listen to VDJ, Urban Channel

I've added a fair bit of music since I've started this thread, and my mixing techniques are becoming more creative.

geposted Sun 20 Dec 09 @ 5:18 pm
I have always thought of cutting as move the "drum" part of a track, scratching being done with any sound OTHER than a drum beat. for instance, cutting would be what you do in beat juggling and scratching would be playing a "higher" pitched sound over another beat. scratching needs tonal sounds. the kind that when you see them in a waveform are stretched out. of course, this is generally speaking and their are exceptions, but it's safe to think of cutting as involving lower tones and scratching higher.

geposted Sun 20 Dec 09 @ 6:35 pm
hey, just play with heaps of different styles see which one fits you best. try getting heaps of albums instead of individual songs like house electro albums and trance albums liten to tiesto bennassi all the greats and get inspired man :)

geposted Mon 21 Dec 09 @ 9:47 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)