Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: DJ formulas

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

lcmxr6PRO InfinityMember since 2009
DJ'ing is not only an art, but a science as well. So what are the best formulas for track lists in your opinion. E.g. 3 house to 1 rap, starting b.p.m. low working high. Peaks Etc.... =D

geposted Wed 30 Dec 09 @ 6:25 pm
If you're not feeling it, neither is the crowd. If you're good, what you want to play is exactly what they want to hear.

geposted Wed 30 Dec 09 @ 10:07 pm
In electronic dance music, I tend to tailor my mixes based on the time when I am going to play the set. For example, if I am slotted for the warmup set, then I will start at 125 and work up to the BPM range of the next DJ. I usually choose a track to replace the playing track with one that is the same BPM or one that is +1 until I reach the desired maximum BPM. Mixing in key is another objective and I tend to play tracks the same key or +/- 1 on the numeric scale. Finally, I try to create peaks and valleys in my set. For example, I will have three bangers, then a series of darker tracks or perhaps a slower mood one with a nice vocal and then raise the mood again with a series of high energy tracks. DJ forumulas can be helpful and restrictive at the same time. A buddy of mine likened DJ'ing to ping pong. You can hit the ball, but it is up to the crowd to hit it back. It's always good to have some fundamentals down that work well for you, but be able to adapt to the crowd-this is the most of important thing as you are leading the night behind the decks.

geposted Sat 09 Jan 10 @ 5:33 am
A formula for DJing is like trying to get a formula for Human Nature. You just never know how people will react. Even at the same club week in week out there is always different people that turn up and also over time people change e.t.c.
Eyes and ears and good human emotive skills are key !!

geposted Sat 17 Apr 10 @ 5:20 am
kjdj99PRO InfinityMember since 2009
I treat it more like sex.
I alternate ups for hot and sweaty, lows for drink purchasing, and a killer climax with a cool down. All this over a 4 hour period.

geposted Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 8:53 pm
AniminePRO InfinityMember since 2010
Like sex? Nice way of putting it, but same for me, it comes down to feeling. All I keep an eye on is the time frame I plan to play, start off with songs with slower BPM, build your way up and/or back down again, work towards climaxes,... I always try to take em on a journey through music.

geposted Tue 04 May 10 @ 1:26 pm
I work in the club business & from what I hear, djs just play the same crap all the time, which is usually thae same junk they play on the radio & throw in some new stuff every now & then.

I hate the formula but hey, you gotta make that money.

geposted Thu 06 May 10 @ 3:38 pm
its a science of reading the crowd and playing what they want and doing it smoothly.

geposted Thu 20 May 10 @ 3:40 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)