Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: 24-bit support.

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I have been digitizing my vinyl collection for the past few years and am almost complete and looking at solutions.

I have the NI Audio4DJ interface and was looking at using VDJ on my laptop.

Thank God I downloaded the trial and didn't shell out money for it though as it seems it doesn't play back 24-bit WAV or FLAC files? All my vinyl was recorded in this format and so I need to have playback at this bitrate. My soundcard supports it too this really is a joke.

I guess I'll have to look elsewhere but this really is something that you should look at. There is a post from 5 years ago on here asking for support to be added surely it's not that difficult to achieve?

geposted Tue 26 Jan 10 @ 11:21 am
rankinrez wrote :

it doesn't play back 24-bit WAV or FLAC files?

I gotta ask.. ;-)

1.) how many of your clients are requesting this premium 24-bit WAV files?
2.) what (exactly) are you using for a sound/PA system?

geposted Tue 26 Jan 10 @ 1:17 pm
I'm using the wickedest Void Acoustics Stasys system and yes it sounds nice. Formula Sound DJ mixer into LMS into Void / MC2 amps into the boxes. Niceness.

The issue with 24-bit isn't as much that the crowd demand it OR even that the system is so nice it makes THAT big a difference, the thing is that I have thousands of files in this format! Converting them all would be a total nightmare..... I would have no issue if VDJ dithered the files to 16-bit on the fly, much as it might decode an mp3 as it reads it in, or resample a 48kHz file to 44kHz.

I'm disappointed as I think VDJ is great and planned on using it after using a friends', only to discover after I got set up that it wouldn't play most of my music collection!!!

geposted Wed 27 Jan 10 @ 1:42 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
VDJ can handle the 24-bit files just fine :)

On the codecs tab in config, set VDJ to use "General Windows Media Audio Decoder" for your FLAC files. Make sure the latest oggcodecs is installed, and it will play quite happily :)

geposted Wed 27 Jan 10 @ 3:33 pm
rankinrez wrote :

The issue with 24-bit isn't as much that the crowd demand it OR even that the system is so nice it makes THAT big a difference, the thing is that I have thousands of files in this format!

OK ;-)
I was just checking that you werent one of those audiophiles where anything less then wav is a sin against nature or something LOL

Actually , ripping your music at the highest possible quality is a VERY smart thing to do.. that way your set (good to go) if any NEW format comes out and then you dont have to recompress an already compressed format or re-rip your collection..

BUT, having said that.. IF your music is organized correctly, then converting from WAV or FLAC to another format is NOT an issue..
Once again.. IF organized correctly, their is software out there that will automatically do it all for you.. even add the missing 'tags'

geposted Wed 27 Jan 10 @ 4:11 pm

Thanks for the info on 24-bit support!! Will try it as soon as I get back home....

@ hippydog you hit the nail on the head exactly. Took the decision when digitizing to go with the maximum quality as it is a lengthy process and I don't want to ever have to do it again! You're probably right about software, do you know a program that can batch convert 24-bit FLAC to MP3 and maintain the tags? With a good quality encoder of course.

Sorry being lazy know I could google for something just wondering if you know anything off the top of your head.

geposted Thu 28 Jan 10 @ 4:07 am
vernxHome userMember since 2007
hey i use mediacoder which was free but you get nagware with it but it does audio and video simple but gets really complicated too and it does batch which is the magic lol.

geposted Thu 13 Jan 11 @ 11:49 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)