Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: ALERT about DJ Daniel Rave

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I like to use a title that gets attention.

Please give this a read, we all overlooked an important event in our community.

In the Mix tips forums, DJ Daniel Rave made a post about his first mix asking folks to give it an ear.

Well like most of us, I missed it the first few times I logged into the forums cuz I was to busy trying to find info.

I was just about to hit the sak after spending hours transferring vinyl to PC and then realized what I had overlooked and logged back in to make a reply and listen. W. O. W! O.O

I know we all get busy and over look these things but these are those first moments in a DJ's life that are first steps and are career defining.

For myself I am glad I listened. I've been stuck in the past in my generations’ music and his brief mix has thrust me into the contemporary world and all its genres.

It also opened me to even more possibilities!

I had been hesitating working with mashes cuz I was such a beat matching phreak but that is all gone now and my brain has been exploding with ideas ever since last night.

So the point is watch for these rare gems that come along now and again, no matter how old you are or how good you are it is always refreshing to keep an open mind to those that are up and coming and we can learn from them!

Remember we are a COMMUNITY! : )

So folks get over to that forum, find his post and give that track a listen and remember to support and encourage each other along the way!

Oh and post a reply at his post!

Thanks Daniel!

geposted Sun 28 Feb 10 @ 5:34 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
uplifting post.

geposted Sun 28 Feb 10 @ 5:42 pm
Thats what it should be about! Getting inspired ! ...Lol....

geposted Mon 01 Mar 10 @ 12:37 am
not to knock you (and the mix) down buddy, but i think you're a lil bit over reacting lol.
i thought he was doing some live mashup but it sounds like he was playing remixes. the track selection was great. i'd be nice to know the tracklisting of the mix. it was a nice upbeat quick mix. nice for a first recorded mix, has the basics down and doesnt have too much to improve on...

but i do agree that there are newbies who come off really strong with some really impressive track selections and some nice mixes that can make veteran djs second guess themselves.

i thought i was nice too 2 yrs ago and was shopping for some decks at guitar center. and there was this one kid who i'd seen in the bar scene in there and he was playing with some pioneer cdj1000s. at the club this kid was just a regular dude but a very good dancer and i remember one time battling him--he won the dancing competition. we were just fooling around battling some michael jackson moves and he was very good. anyway at guitar center this guy was performing some super dupa dmc "youtube" advanced stuff that i couldnt even concentrate talkin to the guitar center employee. finallly i was just like f this and went to see what he was doing. this guy had it down. i introduced myself and ever since ive humbled myself. i just now always say im ok. lol

geposted Mon 01 Mar 10 @ 9:40 am
I don't know if it was your intention, but you make it sounds almost like a crime - or at least a case of terrible neglect - has happened, when some guys mixtape wasn't listened and didn't receive any feedback.

At the rist of sounding rude...so what? It's not like anyone is obligated to listen and comment every (or any) mixtape that is being posted to this forum. If that was the case, we wouldn't have time for anything else. It's like this...you can post a mixtape, and if you receive feedback be happy about it. If you don't receive feedback, move on and try again.

geposted Mon 01 Mar 10 @ 9:56 am
Haha wow I appreciate all feedback I received on this board and my mix. I don't feel it's anyones "obligation" to listen to my mix but please understand all advice given is very helpful to me as a young DJ trying to get started. I realize not all advice is going to be positive and its part of the learning process. Thanks for the support, it's very encouraging :)

geposted Mon 01 Mar 10 @ 9:53 pm
DJ Daniel Rave wrote :
Haha wow I appreciate all feedback I received on this board and my mix. I don't feel it's anyones "obligation" to listen to my mix but please understand all advice given is very helpful to me as a young DJ trying to get started. I realize not all advice is going to be positive and its part of the learning process. Thanks for the support, it's very encouraging :)

Hey Dan!

I’m glad you logged in!

I started in nightclubs many years ago bussing glasses, waiting, barbacking, bartending. I’ve worked as a stage hand building sets and with the lighting and sound techs. Then went in joint club ownership and worked with musicians, promoters etc.

I saw many artists, some talented and others doomed to failure.

The one thing that I learned long ago was to recognize and encourage talent every chance you get.

I remember a particular female artist who wanted to give up after her appearance failed to draw many people to the club. Well after a long conversation after her show, she decided to continue. That’s was many years ago and she is still performing. I hate name dropping so no names.

So it is those words of encouragement that can push some people into finding their dream. Sometimes not but I always will encourage folks!

Where this is little or no talent I would meet with the person privately and carefully discuss the issues with the person and steer them into a related field.

The worst thing you can do to someone is tell them they have talent when there is none.

In learning to recognize talent it goes beyond simply listening to something some ones plays or performs.
It involves listening to more than just the music. I listen to what is played and how it’s played.

Yes it’s still the beginning for you and there is a lot of work to be done.

But for your first attempt it is quite good though I would like to have heard a good couple of hours.

Keep at it and remember to get where you want to go there is only one way and that is hard work.
Research and study the masters, know your music inside and out.

And keep an open mind! Always be willing to learn and listen to all kinds of music, that one pushy kid that you will meet years down the road may be that one person that adds something tremendous to your life!

Lastly, regardless of what some may have thought, my intent is purely to encourage.

Others may read into what I wrote whatever they want.

We are a community and the point I was trying to make with all of us is that a first mix is something to get excited about among us oldies, like when a kid rides his first bike. I’m sorry some missed that point but I’m glad I got to be part of your “First.”

geposted Tue 02 Mar 10 @ 12:16 am
jakovskiPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
Hmmm.... ok. It was your first try......

A tip for the future.... Try to mix from one song to the other when there are no vocals. Try to keep your mix a bit longer and do more work with the Equalizer.

Remove most of the lower frequencies from the new song and try to 'bring it in without any vocals and slower !
When both songs are running perfect in sync slowly remove the lower freqs of the old song and bring in the lower's of the new one.
SLOWLY !!!

Learning by doing ;-)

Greets, Heiko

geposted Wed 03 Mar 10 @ 4:52 pm
posted feedback on mix. Daniel, check it out in the mix lessons section.

geposted Wed 03 Mar 10 @ 6:20 pm
Hey man, just a couple of advises from your mix. First do a review of the songs you are using. Check for BPM, what Key they are playing. Make sure you have breaking parts (that's part of the song that it's only instrumental and there you be creative). Play with the effects more wisely so it will sound like it's part of the song. And the best advise I can give you is play sober, because drunk won't let you undersand the mistakes you will be making during the recording. That's fine if you at a party or in a gig you wanna be drunk and play like that, but for recording purpose you should be more concetrated in the work you are doing. I come from the Vinyl era and if you don't know the breaking parts and know about 4, 8, 16 or 32 beats then you wouldn't be able to mix, because it's super easy with Virtual, but very hard to do with vinyl & CD Players if you don't know how to. Don't take my advise as something negative, I just want to be real with you. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Check this mix just to give you an idea. It's not perfect but you would understand my opinion. Best Regards......

http://www.4shared.com/audio/jvHFlYFF/DJ_George_Louis_-_Live_Remix_0.html

geposted Mon 12 Apr 10 @ 11:27 am
A bit of advice on tracks that don't have decent or long enough breaking parts for you to get a nice mix. Of course it depends on the track ur bringing in.
Step 1 - Take a drum Sample loop similar to the track you want to play ( or you could use the loop feature and sample that)
Step 2 - While the song is playing play the Sample loop
Step 3 - optional - you can loop the record paying if u like or just let it play real time.
Step 4 - Mix the new track in but don't transition it just yet keep the volume down ( again you could use the loop fuction and use a 16 or 32 bar just b4 the main keys come into play )
Step 5 - reduce EQ on the track playing but keep the Drum section of the Sample going
Step 6 - Its up to you really on how u want to transition the track, u could use FX on the Eq'd track or You could just fade out the track and at the correct time cut the sample or fade that out. Most important thing is that playing live people get bored with just beats but online radio or just for mixes having a bit of plain beats is good for the soul. Its also a good time to drop some samples in and experiment with keys and samples live.

geposted Sat 17 Apr 10 @ 2:02 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)