Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: First Wedding Gig

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi Everyone,

looking for some help please, I have my first wedding gig coming up in 2 months time and I am hoping it will lead to more weddings if I do a good job. I am sure you all remember your first wedding gig and what its like getting ready for it.

I am looking for suggestions on what to play? Maybe something like your top 40 songs ever played at a wedding or something like that, just to give me some ideas where to start

many thanks

Justin

geposted Fri 05 Mar 10 @ 7:54 am
I find weddings very unpredictable. You can often get a feel of what the bride and groom will like by their choice of first dance. You can use that as a loose guide...

However, any wedding DJ will tell you that you should be speaking to the wedding party about what they want. It's their day, you're just fulfilling a role for one part of it!!!

I always try to get a playlist of must have's and start to build from there. Your ability to judge the crowd and dancefloor will come in to its own here. There are so many factors to consider that you could write a book on the subject!!

Also get a list of tracks NOT to play and ask them what type of music they like.

How did you get the gig? have they seen you play before? Did they hire you on that basis?

Make sure you have a bit of everything!!!

Are you providing background music? If so make sure you have far more than you need. There's a good chance things will get delayed...

I DJ'd at one wedding where I only ended up playing proper for half an hour!!!

Cheers,

Roy

geposted Fri 05 Mar 10 @ 9:10 am
i agree with Roy, wedding are nowehere near predictable...you should know what the bride/groom want..and then watch your crowd there after...background music will likely be a major key make sure you have a variety and lots of it ...other than that...its just a regular gig..

geposted Fri 05 Mar 10 @ 1:52 pm
FaultPRO InfinityMember since 2007
In terms of music, look at the post I made in this section, something like music playlist or w/e.

Weddings are a bit different than other events, because you are doing a lot more MCing, IMO. Try to have a list of events, and what you want to say planned out a bit, because you don't want to be tripping or anything. For example, know how you want to introduce the couple, yourself, and what music to do during it all. Here are the important songs to find out from the bride:

First Dance
Father/Bride
Mother/Groom
Bouquet Toss
I cant remember the name, but there is something where people pay a dollar to dance with the bride or groom
Any family or traditional songs
Any game songs. I went to one wedding where they did a drinking game to the song thunderstruck
Final dance

Weddings people LOVE to ask requests. Even more so then any other events. Most the time, they are good requests, one you probably already have in your set.

Good luck man and have fun

geposted Sat 06 Mar 10 @ 1:04 am

geposted Sat 06 Mar 10 @ 10:52 am
Hi,

My first question would be is there a theme to the wedding? Then I would get with the bride or whoever is in charge of it so that they can get yo uthe music they prefer and dont want played. I recently did a wedding where the bride wanted on ww2 jazz/swing music.

I also have the follwing in a playlist as they seem to be fun, and usually known by everyone ( at least where I live)
Cha Cha Slide - Dj Casper
Electric Slide - Marcia Griffiths

Also like others have stated weddings are unpredicatable and are widespread musically. So be prepared to bounce around genre wise. Read the crowd is vital. Also, if need game ideas there are several sites that can give you idea's just google it.
Lastly, have fun cause in my experiences the wedding party and guest will feed off that

geposted Fri 12 Mar 10 @ 7:21 am
Well, I do a lot of weddings and I must tell you that it is different from anything else that I've done. Instead of having a group of people that like the way you DJ, you will need to please many different types of people. Very seldom will you get a room full of people who like the same thing. So, put on your versatility hat and get ready.

While a lot of the music is crossing back and forth, there are still 2 basic types of weddings. The ones that want R&B / Hip-Hop / Club music and the Classic Rock ones. I know there are other types, but these are the popular ones. I'm guessing that if you are using VDJ, you will be fairly comfortable with the dance music crowd. For the Classic Rock crowd use http://www.mobilebeat.com/top-200/ as a guide. If you have the songs on that list, you will keep most of them happy.

Just remember that unless they told you otherwise, it is OK to play older music. Weddings are not cutting edge environments to don't think about breaking out your new releases that haven't hit the stores yet. They want to hear #1 hits regardless of the year. It is your job to make it flow smoothly.

A good thing to do is to get the old folks out of the way first. They will tire first and will be the first ones to leave. They will also be the first to complain if you play too much new stuff early. Once the liquor kicks in, and everyone is having a good time, they'll dance to anything.

This should give you enough to get you started. If you need more detail send me a PM. I'll do my best to help.

geposted Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 9:02 am
FaultPRO InfinityMember since 2007
One other things is to build yourself a good list of what I refer to as 'cheat songs'. These are songs that everyone knows. There are two types of 'cheat songs': Command Dance and Sing A Long

1. Command Dance
These are the songs that have a specific dance that is either commanded by the song, or is just well known to go with it. Here is some of them:
-Cha Cha Slide
-Cupid Shuffle
-Macarena
-Cotton Eye Joe
-YMCA
-Hokey Pokey
-Twist and Shout
-Lets Twist Again
-Birdie Song/Chicken Dance
-Apache
-Pon de Replay
-What is Love

2. Sing along
These songs are the ones that not only does everyone know the words to, but often people like to all sit around and scream at the top of their lungs. Most are classic rock:
-Shout
-You shook me all night long
-Dont stop believin
-Pour Some Sugar on Me
-Our Song
-Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy
-Play that Funky Music White Boy (really cool when the crowd realizes that you as the DJ are the whiteboy in the song)

These songs are great to kind of mix in when people are walking away to get drinks/are tired, then once they are back dancing, you can play some of the 'non cheat' hits, and they will continue to dance through the night

geposted Sun 21 Mar 10 @ 9:46 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Don't forget:
Buster Poindexter - Hot Hot Hot
Quad City DJ's - C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)
Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
Marcia Griffiths - Electric Boogie (aka Electric slide)

NEVER an empty floor when these are on.

I would also add - Sweet Caroline, life is a highway & Who let the dogs out- to the sing along list (great idea by the way!)

geposted Sun 21 Mar 10 @ 7:57 pm
"What is the best skit [Game] you use at weddings to get the people on the dance floor ?"

geposted Wed 19 May 10 @ 4:39 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)