Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Transition Help!

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hey guys, im new to this forum but i've been deejaying for a couple of months now. Anyways, i got my Hercules RMX and am adapting to it ( I love it !). I want to know what other deejays think of my transitions and effects. I find my transitions are too simple and don't sound professional. What techniques do you guys use to switch tracks or to mix 2 melodies together? I have a hard time mixing melodies lol. If anyone knows any cool effects to use on transitions i would greatly appreciate that because i really don't use many effects. ( Only beatgrind and flanger). Sorry about that brake at the end, i forgot i was recording lmfao. Thanks guys. P.s I mix mostly minimal house and electro house. http://soundcloud.com/dj_house/test-2 Thanks guys.

geposted Thu 08 Apr 10 @ 5:55 pm
de_lesPRO InfinityMember since 2010
well first of all,don't use your beatgrid to much,it's so annoying :)
same goes for the flanger,it's to strong you have to make your flanger subtle,just enough to hear...

if you want to make a transition to the next song,wait for a break,and bring the bas in at the end of the break,or just lower your bas,and then bring the new bas in...

geposted Sun 11 Apr 10 @ 6:24 am
There are times when a strong flange is good, generally however it just grinds you ears, Also the beat grid works well as an instrument u can use in certain situations if you want to create a mini remix of beats or strings for example, best used on loop function. Randomly using the beatgrid with no direct idea of the intention you are trying to achieve can just result in a mess. Well any fx u use without a direct intention can sound a mess so its a case of practice and listen to ur mixes and hear what works. Playing live can be a bit different as you can use some quite strong sounding fx as long as u use them in context and there is an intention behind using them.

If you are using fx during transition then definitely use them subtly, you are trying to improve the transition and not hide it completely. Using loops and samples for transitions can also be good but mix it up a little and don't do the same thing over and over as it can become a bit boring fake and programmed. For some reason people like to hear that human touch, a certain amount of creativity in the transition seems to interest people.

Using EQ is also important in Transitioning, taking out the highs and mids during the transition can leave the bass line running or taking out the low and lowering the mids to keep the Vocal or string e.t.c in the transition. High Hat transitioning works well ( very well ) also, so removing the lows and keeping the high hats is a good option when transitioning during breaks. Play around with that and see what works for different songs and mixes.

There is a good section in the mix tips by Danish Dj that explains bars, Bars are essential in transitioning. While Djing your mind should always be like a bar clock. You probably do it anyway because you have listened to a lot of music before but understanding its properties can help with the transition.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN TRANSITIONING - know the song you are playing, know when breaks come and when vocals are e.t.c. knowing your music inside out makes it so much easier to make a great transition.

Transitioning is the most important thing in mix Djing ( beat matching as well but technology has changed that ) , The idea is that you want things to flow on the ears if people are listening to your mixes or also flow with the feet and body if people are dancing in a club. Having said that in a club sometimes a complete cut out of a track can have a desired effect, Especially if you have a big big song with an intro that people like and recognize.

I always think of Djing as being a musician as well as just playing music but thats just me. Many D'j's have a specific job to do and for a lot it is just playing music that people enjoy and want to dance to. Other Dj's within specific genres can use creativity a lot more and it is appreciated by those listening.

Practice makes perfect like anything and as time goes things just become easier and more natural, soon you will be doing it all subconsciously and you can add to your mixes with samples loops fx and make it all sound wonderful.

DoLLnFX xx

geposted Sat 17 Apr 10 @ 3:52 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)