Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Playing Remixes at gig

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi all, i will just get straight to the point.

Fellow dj's, when i am playing a gig i tend never ever to play remixes done by other dj's or artists.

A. because i feel like i am cheating

B. I want to challenge my self and perform mixes under pressure rather than playing it safe.

So tell me. what your take on playing remixes?

geposted Tue 27 Apr 10 @ 7:05 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I do. I have a friend that does it for fun. I view it as promoting her, She does good work. But I see your point.

geposted Tue 27 Apr 10 @ 7:41 pm
Depends on the remix ;-)

Anyway, some of the mixs from Ultimix/Funkymix or Promo Only come in handy if you get requests for the same track several times a night. Yes tracks played early can be played again later without too many problems, but being able to play an alternate mix is also less likely to get people complaining.

Plus I find remixes of tracks done in a different genre/BPM allow you to mix in requests that would have otherwised cleared the dance floor...

Cheers,

Roy

geposted Wed 28 Apr 10 @ 10:14 am
nothing wrong with throwing a remix in wherever you want it - there are so many songs out there that in original form just plain suck. but the same song remix gets them moving...thats the only thing that counts.

geposted Wed 28 Apr 10 @ 2:15 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
original form just plain suck

Shakira - She Wolf - Nuff Said!!!!

geposted Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 5:40 pm
nothing wrong with throwing a remix in wherever you want it - there are so many songs out there that in original form just plain suck. but the same song remix gets them moving...thats the only thing that counts.

I'm not sure if he's talking about factory remixes (done at the request of the artist or record company), remix services (such as Ulitmix, Mixx-it, Wicked Mix) or bootleg remixes done by fellow DJ's, apprising Producers, etc.

IMHO, some songs were never 12" singles, other songs sound terrible in original form and still others sound even better remixed than the original.

I am a huge fan of how Wicked Mix treats Old School R&B. Not always but most of the time, there remixes are solid and are used to simplify, because not everything as a 32 beat intro.

As for challenging yourself, shhh play anything pre-sequencer days music and that's plenty of challenge since human beings are not machines and can't stay on tempo completely.

I will say that when you can find a original old school 12" single where ever you can, GET it, because the father of the 12" Tom Moulton used editing tricks to fix those tempo problems.

geposted Thu 27 May 10 @ 7:49 am
the club I dj at we have direct instructions from management that after midnight we are not to play any RnB (we play any and the crowd leaves anyway, even if its a request) but keeping people happy by throwing in the odd "dance" remix of an RnB song works well I find.

geposted Mon 14 Jun 10 @ 12:28 pm
I've been using mainly remixes for years now. Never had a problem with it. Yes it's nice when the dj actually has the skills to pull off a live on the fly remix. There are so many out there who cheat, use a cracked version of vdj and hit limewire all day and just load up a playlist and think they are killing it in the club. Radio edits are for radio stations. My personal feelings are if the dj is in a bar or club he is being paid to perform and their isn't anything entertaining about a radio edit and a loaded playlist. Mix it up, do some beat juggling, give a little scratch here and there. Drop a PHAT BEAT underneath the normal boring track. Don't just play music, play with it!

geposted Thu 24 Jun 10 @ 5:11 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)