Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Connecting passive and active speakers together?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has experience with mixing passive & active speakers together..

Does it ever create problems? Will there be problems with oversupply of power?

I have a pair of passive speakers and looking to just daisy chain a pair of active speakers. Does it matter what sequence I should be putting them? Active speakers first?

Also how does it change if I'm using a passive sub with active speakers?

Is there a rule on how you should connect your sound/cabling?

geposted Mon 10 May 10 @ 8:28 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

geposted Mon 10 May 10 @ 8:49 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I see the link is to a speaker optimiser... Is that necessary?

Most speakers I would have at one time is a pair of 3 way passive speakers plus a pair of active 2 way speakers and maybe a passive sub

geposted Mon 10 May 10 @ 9:29 am
l_rids wrote :

Is there a rule on how you should connect your sound/cabling?

it depends on the equipment..

What models/manufacturers are you using for equipment?
Mixer?, Passive Speakers? Amps? Active Speakers?

geposted Mon 10 May 10 @ 10:00 am
Generally speaking:
You can chain the active speakers with the amp of the passives any way you like. However you should make sure that ALL your cable-ing is XLR type and that all the pieces on the chain have inputs AND outputs of the signal. Do NOT - I repeat DO NOT mix your cable-ing because you're going to introduce too much noise and possibly distortion on your system. All active speakers have XLR connections. However that's not the case with all the amps. If your amplifier does not have XLR ins/outs then your amp should be the last piece on your chain, but this won't ensure that youwon't have noise and/or distortion on some part of your system.
One other critical point is the active sub. If the sub has a LF crossover you should check if this crossover has impact on it's output path. Most active subs will let the entire signal come thru, but I have met once or two some weird active subs that the LF crossover would cut the output signal too. If your sub has such a weird LF crossover then it should be the last piece on your chain.
Finally, DO NOT use Y splitters. You should always use ins/outs on your gear.

The DBX mentioned above is one hell piece of hardware and I recommend it for anyone that has more than 2 speakers. You can't imagine what you can do with this baby. If you can't afford one it's ok. However, if you can , you won't regret it!

geposted Tue 11 May 10 @ 2:53 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Another safe way to do this is to do your signal output throu a mixer with two outs, one pair to the active and one pair to the passive then you'll be safe with no potential problems...

Good Luck

Joey...

geposted Tue 11 May 10 @ 12:00 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)