Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Legitamate request from an earnest student.

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Okay, So let me start my first post on the community by saying thank you. Just having such a nice community to talk to is great.

Secondly before I get the "lurk moar n00b," I have.. I read the stickies, I skimmed through the forums.. I've tried on my own.
I can't seem to understand the words in a practical matter.

I hate to be the dick that asks this question, however if some one ever has the time, could some one help me out with like a Q/A step by step tutorial for mixing? I've read as many manuals as I can I just can't seem to get the hang of it with words alone. Sure I can cross-fade and beat-match some great mixes on occasion. I know I have the ear for the music, I can tell when some one misses their queue, messes up in their mixing..

I'm more or less a visual learner.. I don't need some one to sit me down and show me it but talking to and asking questions with some one experienced as I do it or if they can help me understand it a bit better would make it all that much easier for me.

I am a fan of the light airy vocal trance genre but vary from damn near drum and bass to almost happy hard core.. So I'm really versatile in my tastes.

I really don't mean to sound desperate, or act like a noob although I am.. I'm just trying to learn how to better what I play so I can spread the enjoyment of great music to as many people as I can reach.

If some one could send me an email to VDJ does not allow Non-licensed users to post any contact information, sorry , or reply to this thread with some idea I would be more grateful than I can describe.

Just to clarify, I'm not asking for some one to come to my house and teach me or anything.. Just a friendly Q/A period and maybe some tips online would be just awesome.

geposted Sat 19 Jun 10 @ 8:07 am
There is no step by step though someone has posted how to dj a party/club info which is very good information.

Secondly, the music you play sometimes is all by feel or by numbers in many cases. You have to feel beat and music other wise you can keep the BPS lined up & go from there. The rest in the middle is just what you make of it.

Look at some videos on Youtube because before I purchase i did just that so I would not buy something and then not use it. Keep in my this can be a very expensive hobby so before you jump into it, study up.

geposted Sun 20 Jun 10 @ 11:54 am
DJ Ace Cap1 wrote :
There is no step by step though someone has posted how to dj a party/club info which is very good information.

Secondly, the music you play sometimes is all by feel or by numbers in many cases. You have to feel beat and music other wise you can keep the BPMs lined up & go from there. The rest in the middle is just what you make of it.

Look at some videos on Youtube because before I purchase i did just that so I would not buy something and then not use it. Keep in my this can be a very expensive hobby so before you jump into it, study up.

geposted Mon 21 Jun 10 @ 5:17 pm

Terribly sorry for the late reply. Well I understand that it can be expensive, however I'm ready to spend the money. I read that post you referenced at the top and it did help a little bit..

How about finding music that matches up.. I mean I hear a few songs now and then and think that they would fit together well..Some times they do, some times they don't..

I'm more or less interested in mixing not just playing MP3's which is more or less what the post you are referring to centralizes on..

geposted Mon 21 Jun 10 @ 6:49 pm
I feel you on this man. Before i bought my Hercules RMX and even while i still had it i still had a ton of questions and read the stickies to understand things but couldn't figure certain things out. 8 months later, I'll still hear things that other DJ's do and ask myself, "how did they do that? I want to learn how to do that." I first started DJ'ing hip hop but my true love has always been in trance and electro house. I had a guy from work come show me some basics and answer my questions and just mess around with my RMX so i could understand and see what he was doing. It was amazing how fast i picked up on what he was doing just from him showing me. The number one thing when i first started out that i had problems with (and that i didn't even know that i had a problem with) was when to bring in another track. You can't just bring in another track when YOU feel like it. Usually with trance and electro house you want to bring in another song when the first song is about to go into a breakdown. Then you bring in the breakdown of the 2nd song because your audience will be expecting a breakdown.

We all can't be the Tiesto's and Armin Van Buuren's when we first start out. It take's year's of practice and honestly, pretty good equipment. I'm more than willing to help you out and/or answer any questions you may have to the best of my knowledge cause i was once where you're at. Feel free to message me sometime. Take care.

geposted Thu 08 Jul 10 @ 11:19 am
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, thats all there is to it. Nobody can teach you, either you have it or you dont. Hell some days I still ask myself, "What are you doing???". There are a ton of things that I hear and wonder "Howd they do that??" Bro just practice non stop EVERYDAY for as long as you can, thats the best advice anybody can give you. So try everything you hear and ALWAYS watch the DJ's hands.

Its a process not an event,
Huey

geposted Thu 08 Jul 10 @ 7:49 pm
I really appreciate al of your tips guys. Docshuck I will defiantly be throwing you questions as I have them even at this point I'm still just saving for a controller and a full license for some reason my trial license is adding days not that I'm really questioning it. So once again guys that's for the words of wisdom and good luck and hopefully I'll have CD's in Walmart some day.

geposted Fri 09 Jul 10 @ 9:47 am
Everyones answers here seem to be the correct one to follow. In the end you are the creator of your style since this is an art, noone can teach you an exact science. I do this because I love music so my style comes from inside myself, I think that everyone does the same.

As far as tricks & technics go, some can be learned. Just look around or find someone with a set up you can play on. Go to a music shop that has the stuff set up. Hands on is a great way to know what you want to work with.

Learn the basics and then add twists to make things your own.

geposted Fri 09 Jul 10 @ 5:07 pm
DJ Ace Cap1 wrote :
Everyones answers here seem to be the correct one to follow. In the end you are the creator of your style since this is an art, noone can teach you an exact science. I do this because I love music so my style comes from inside myself, I think that everyone does the same.

very true.. everybody basically has the same basic skills down but it's your own little added tricks that you learn by practicing and fooling around that can make you stand out from others.

geposted Fri 09 Jul 10 @ 5:53 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)