Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: MY VDJ Rants! - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Hi all,

I hope I don't sound like a sour puss, but I have some serious criticisms of VDJ. I own it so I think I have a right to express my disappointments. Here they are:

1) file management is simply awful, why would the program need to analyze an mp3 file before it will even display the length of the mp3 in either the database or the file browser windows? This is just simply ridiculous. It will not display the bpm info of the file unless analyzed either even though it is already in the tag information. Have a look at BPM studio if you'd like to see how a database should work.

2) Instability beyond belief. I can make the program crash basically at will when applying loops. This is not a driver issue for those of you about to suggest that. This configuration is rock stable with BPM and Mixvibes. With mixvibes I can do infinite looping and have never seen a crash. With VDj I can have crashes at any moment when looping. I can make this crash happen on 2 different soundcards. This system has run BPM professional for 2 years and never crashed during a performance. Granted BPM does not have some of the fine new features of VDJ but it is rock, ROCK stable.

I am a computer technician and have been using digital DJ products for in excess of 5 years so please don't offer hardware/computer configuration based suggestions. It is the VDJ software plain and simple.

I will not use this software at a gig. I don't trust it to remain running problem free. I bought this software in the hopes of having some nice new features to add to a performance. Sadly the lack of a useable database and instability have made this basically an expensive toy to play with at home unless these issues are addressed.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 2:53 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
So what is your computer configuration?, lol.

I ask you because of one thing, and one thing only, your 100% alone with this problem, but hey m8, it's the software!, pure and simple right?, WRONG, This software is rock stable, and the hundreds of proffesional DJ's useing this at clubs 3-4 times a week have proven that.

I can't get VDJ to crash if I try, can loop all day and all night, have 6 effects going together, scratching, pitching, I can do the lot together and no crash.

The database/file management is simply the best i've used, sorry, but I and alot of people will disagree with you their, scanning files in bulk is a one off thing, and then it's a case of organising your music, set your root folder as favourite, simply the best.

Do you want some help with your issues?, or have you ruled out every possibility that these problems are in fact yours?.

We are to help, so ask and learn.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 3:42 am
I agree. Very stable. And I've been around since automix. Yes. BPM is a very good software. But VDJ has more features and it is what $700 less... I think... Not too shabby.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:26 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
vdj rocks ....I work everyday 8 hours (10 month at year) I can do loops ...samples ...search ..analize and never had a crash .NEVER

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:46 am
I agree! I do a lot of Djing at parties. Some parties began at 2 pm and went up till 4am! and VDJ was as smooth as hot knife through butter... And the looping, was awesome.. i sometimes looped for 6-8 minutes and did some pretty awesome mixes...
The file management system is not at all a bother to me cos my pc is fast enough to analyse a song and save all its informattion once and for all...(what im trying to tell you is, all of my tracks are all analysed and ready to go...)
I think you should spend some time tweaking your pc if you have loop problems.
Before you just take the advantage of being an owner of such a wonderful program and rant about it, (im not saying i u shouldnt, its good cos we can improve it...) think about the 100s of users going live on VDJ radio, Clubs, Bars, Discos, Parties, all around the world...
If you have problems, we all help you, But if you just criticise, no help can be given as we cant get your problem... no offense dude..

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:47 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I can see where the software could seem strange to one who has

a) not read the user guide

b) not searched the community for help

If you are crashing durring a loop it may be because you set a loop longer than the rest of the track is. This is a known issue. Computer tech or not building machines for music is a lot diffent then building machines to word process or surf the net. We are here to help you make your virtual dj experince more enjoyable once your tunnel vision is gone feel free to ask for help.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 7:31 am
MalekoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I also am a computer Technician, I have only had this software a few days, but have been using it a lot to get use to it and work it all out nicely before I gotta use it properly.

I find this software VERY stable, i haven't had a crash or anything at all using it....I'm VERY HAPPY using it :P

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 8:37 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ditto...Ditto...Ditto...Ditto...Ditto...Ditto...

Let's start with all learning processes of new software for the user... know it's hardware limitations.. know it's software features and understand it limits... as for stability, well if I know the last two rules then stability is EXCELLENT!

I am sorry to hear you have so many problems, but which would you have a minimal investment will some minor avoidances that you are aware and that will be addressed in very timely updates or a lot of cash in a inferior product with limited capability and updates that may not occur for several months?

Again, sorry to hear you are having issues, and appreciate your vetting of the frustrations, but we (VDJ Community) are here to help.

v/r,
cstoll

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 8:51 am
I've found this software stable even on substandard computer BUT as DJ Cyder from the support team sezs look at the manual .....I would like to point out that the current manual is hopelessly outdated and this version has been out for over two months still no manual....new version great features but no manual on the finer points of using them.
Certainly would like a manual more than a rant about "Fuck me i'm famous" in ibiza.
How about just a text only if graphics is to much work.
I would do it myself.....but there again I wouldn't need a manual if I new the finer points but sadly Idon't!

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 10:49 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I never have read the manual, or any software/program manual for that matter.
Just sort of explore and test based on prior experience with other programs.
I get the impression that Ibiza is a rather big deal for VDJ, particularly if VDJ is providing the sound.
At the rate this program changes, the manual might never catch up.
What would you rather have, an outdate program or an outdated manual?
There are plenty of outdated programs out there.........

To the original poster,
That is some technique, bash first ask second, hell of an approach though probably driven by frustration. Sort of reminds me of teen behavoir like my kids demonstrate.....

This is the most powerfull community I have ever experienced, all the help you need is right here, so don't talk about our mother that way, please.....

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 4:00 pm
Yep, super stable for me also. I used other dj software in the past and this is the most stable when using effects AND using tcv's which stress the system even more.

Killabee44

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 5:45 pm
Until version 3.0 it was rock stable but you have to be lying to think its stable now. I cannot use 3.0 on my laptop and it is fast. Version 2.6 is stable and thats where I will stay until they fix the problems with 3.0 . But we haven't seen that yet and probably won't. They have to sell software to pay for their development . I think they may be paying to many people to make a profit which slows upgrades. Try using the Karoake feture on you laptop using version 3.0 . And then play a video .Try to keep things working and not crash. If this soft ware cannot work with a laptop like mine you can't sell software until it can.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 6:33 pm
@rick: hear hear!! lol

@soundman69: hey man... take a look around.. this community is one of the tightest knit buncha guys on the netverse.. whatever the problems man..be polite and ask..ye shall receive..

as was said before..you are the only guy with such a problem..heed the advice of CYDER..

dont diss the program and put your hands up.. you want to open up a can of worms you have to be ready to get slimy..

VDJ ROCKS YEAH!!!!

cheers

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 7:03 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
It WILL get better for more and more users, rest assured.

3.0 is much more powerfull, and does take more system to run properly.
I struggle with my Vaio system while my rack is smooth as silk.

I don't think anybody is lieing didij what would achieve?

Funny though because that is one thing I learned on the "other" forum was that the beta testers were lieing about using the program while all the while they were using 5.2.
That is not the case here, we beat this thing to death, trust me.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 7:34 pm
I wouldn't use the program if I couln't trust it on my gigs 3 times a week. Period.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 9:03 pm
my 4 cylinder car won't go 300 miles per hour should I take it back for repairs? Doing video on a laptop is still a few years off at best.

geposted Sun 10 Jul 05 @ 9:08 pm
2.6 is just fine for my Karoake and music but forget 3.0 it needs a fast workstation and a state of the art video card like my workstation has. But it isn't mobile so that makes the 3.0 useless in my case. Even when I disable the video feature it causes problems with my Karoake plugin. They need to fix these problems but it isn't happening so I will stay with 2.6 until they do.

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 12:58 am
3.0 works perfectly for normal DJ use, haven't tried it with the karoake plugin, and video can be problematic (bugs need fixing), and a fast computer with a powerful graphics card is needed.

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 1:05 am
I must be doing something wrong then because my system is totally portable in fact it fits in my car. I do video and audio and karaoke with no problems in fact sometimes in the same gig. I took a picture of it and posted it in my blog along with the not so state of the art specs. When 3.0 came out I got a better video card and never looked back. If the program was really the problem you'd think I'd have problems to which is not the case.

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 1:28 am
Their is a certain degree of fortune involved here to, because their are a few with powerful systems, set-up well, who have problems, then their are others with older systems but having the best software experience..

Their are known bugs and issues in version 3, some minor, some not so minor, but nothing major like the original poster claimed, the software is almost optimal, but bugs need fixing, and some features need to be re-implemented at a higher standard (for VDJ to be perfect).

Most people don't use video, and most DJ laptop owners don't have awsome graphics cards, because Computer based DJ's, are just DJ's, so I don't use video, and have no desire to use the kareoke, so my VDJ experience is very good.., luckily VDJ is updated fast and problems are put to sleep fast, my only concern is not the list of prioritys, but the order of them...

geposted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 2:03 am
32%