Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ on MacBook Air
is it safe to run gigs on a MacBook Air?
Has anyone done it?

I'm sure VDJ will be fine but what I'm worried about is the cooling system on the MacBook Air?
I'm concerned that if I get a laptop like this that when the room gets hot the cooling system won't be able to handle it.
This has been a common problem with most laptops I've owned. With or without a cooling pad.

geposted Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 4:19 pm
I don't use a laptop, but know plenty of DJs that do, and none of them use coolers, in 8 hour situations. You may want to ask this in the MAC forum, where there may be some users with experience with the Air.

geposted Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 6:42 pm
bgs1372PRO InfinityMember since 2012
I use a macbook air for gigs, I have used it at over 30 Gigs now running anywhere from 4 to 8 hours at a time and have never had any problems with it.

geposted Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 9:48 pm
Thanks for your input.
That's good to know. Have you ever noticed the macbook air getting really hot during gigs?

geposted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 11:44 am
Hey,

I am using a Mac Book Air (late 2010) for a number of gigs (at least 130). Running VDJ 7.3 on a MB Air is not a problem and I don't use a cooler or similar. The only problem I have is that the keyboard is not illuminated ;D

I have had setups like Denon MC 6000, Traktor Audio 2 with Denon SC 2000, VMS 2 or Denon S 1200 nower days and there have never ever been any problems with my book, neither freezing screens nor any sound misfires.

I hope that it will be helpful for your decision.

Mac Book Air
1.86 GHz
2 GB Ram 1067 DDR 3
OS X 10.6.8

geposted Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 1:53 pm
Are you guys only running audio since the Macbook Air has integrated graphics?

geposted Fri 15 Feb 13 @ 1:49 pm
Was wondering the same thing...........

geposted Sat 16 Feb 13 @ 11:21 am
I'm mixing just audio. For video mixing it would not be the best choice to use a MB Air.

Mixing videos is less common in good old germany but in fact it is still a profitable niche - I do not offer this to customers.

geposted Sat 16 Feb 13 @ 3:30 pm
Hi,

Just did my first night on a macbook air. It's 11 inch 1.8ghz i7 with 4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram and I played six hours off an external usb hdd, videos all night and it didn't miss a beat or get noticeably warm. The only glitch is the video freeze which happens on the macbook pro that I normally use and is easily fixed if a little irksome. I'm well impressed :)

Next step is to dump the denon controller and use an ipad. Very 21st century.

geposted Sat 16 Feb 13 @ 11:37 pm
By the way I'm running the latest OS, whichever that is, and the latest download of Virtual DJ FYI :)

geposted Sun 17 Feb 13 @ 4:05 am
please having issue with installing virtual dj on my macbook installation successful but can't find my software shortcut please kindly help a new to macbook

geposted Mon 19 Aug 19 @ 3:18 am
iod1967PRO InfinityMember since 2014
I'm using a Numark N4 controller and Virtual DJ 8 on a Macbook Air (2018) laptop. My problem is that I can't get the master volume on the software to correspond with the master volume on the controller

geposted Tue 10 Sep 19 @ 12:28 pm
That's common for controllers (such as N4) that feature a hardware controlled master volume that doesn't send MIDI data to the software.
Therefore you shouldn't worry about it. However you should always make sure that master volume on software (VirtualDJ) is always at 100%

geposted Tue 10 Sep 19 @ 12:51 pm
why i can't play music in Virtual DJ .. im using mac book air, anyone can help me to fix this problem?. Thank you

geposted Tue 09 Feb 21 @ 8:24 am
Can you help me guys. I can’t download and install virtual Dj on my MacBook air. So I have virtual dj on my external drive then when I’m installing it, it say
there is no app to open or install vdj

geposted Wed 09 Feb 22 @ 10:13 am