Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: sampler verbs VDJ8 inconsistency - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

Since there's no forum for scripting, I've posted this here...

There is some inconsistency in the sampler verbs for VDJ8.

In VDJ7 you would write: sampler 1 volume (or whatever you wanted to do: play, stop, sync, etc.). So first "sampler 1" to indicate the slot, and then the actual action.

In VDJ8 I saw that this was dropped in favor of the underscore syntax: sampler_volume, adding the slot after that: sampler_volume 1.

But then I saw that this was not the case with play, for instance. The correct syntax - according to the vdjscript verbs page for VDJ8 - is sampler 1 play. I use play_stutter, and although it isn't mentioned, I suppose that the syntax then would be: sampler 1 play_stutter. Logic would demand this syntax: sampler_play_stutter 1.

Very confusing...

geposted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 6:53 pm
Incidently: I updated the VDJ7 script for my "deck 1 loop recorder" (that's how I have always used the VDJ sampler) in VDJ8, but nothing works...

<button action="deck 1 loop ? sampler_rec : nothing">
<button action="sampler_play_stutter">
<button action="sampler_stop">
<button action="repeat & sampler_volume -10%">
<button action="sampler_volume 0% ? on & sampler_volume 100% : sampler_volume 0%">
<button action="repeat & sampler_volume +10%">
<button action="sampler_loop">
<button action="sampler beatlock">

Can anyone indicate what is wrong with my code?

P.S. This code is inside the deck 1 block (<deck deck="1">...</deck>)

Also: which is the right way to asign a sampler slot in these commands?

geposted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 7:12 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Except sampler beatlock, everything else should work.. Actually i have tried a few and work fine.
If you dont define any sample number (slot), then actions like sampler_play_stutter, sampler_loop etc will apply to the selected sample.
The selection of the Sample is done via sampler_select x action or using the List view of the Samler. In Trigger pad view, when u press the Pads, the selected sample is not changed.
I would strongly suggest not use the ver7 way where the Sampler was available on both decks/sides. Better create a "sampler" panel without using <deck>declaration.
The only thing that makes sense to have as deck dependent is the sampler_rec action. Remember, the sampler_rec action doesnt take any slot number parameter. You cant record a specific slot. All you can do is to record from any deck/master/mic and VDJ will auto create a new sample inside the Recordings folder.

Anyways, i am not sure why your actions dont work. Maybe a sample is selected that doesnt exist ?? If you dont use any slot numbers,how do you select Samples ? Do you have some kind of a drop down menu to do so using the sampler_select action ?

geposted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 8:28 pm
Hi DJDad,
:)
Actually, I would prefer to indicate a sampler slot, but I eliminated the numbers from the commands to avoid any more complications while troubleshooting. Please, feel free to introduce the numbers in the correct spots in my code, so that I don't have to play a guessing game ;)

This is my original (VDJ7) code (where I did asign a different sampler slot to the left and the right deck, because, as I said, I only use the sampler as a loop recorder for deck 1 and deck 2):

<button action="deck 1 sampler 1 rec & deck 1 sampler 2 rec">
<button action="sampler 1 play_stutter & sampler 2 play_stutter">
<button action="sampler 1 stop & sampler 2 stop">
<button action="repeat & sampler 1 volume -10% & sampler 2 volume -10%">
<button action="sampler 1 volume 0% & sampler 2 volume 0% ? on & sampler 1 volume 100% & sampler 2 volume 100% : sampler 1 volume 0% & sampler 2 volume 0%">
<button action="repeat & sampler 1 volume +10% & sampler 2 volume +10%">
<button action="sampler 1 loop & sampler 2 loop">
<button action="sampler 1 beatlock & sampler 1 beatlock & sampler 1 beatlock & sampler 2 beatlock & sampler 2 beatlock & sampler 2 beatlock ">

Note: the use of two slots at the same time was a workaround for the lower volume level of the recorded samples in VDJ7, as was the repeated verbs to get a looped, synced and beatlocked sample.

Back to VDJ8: If I can't use the beatlock verb, how can I tie a sample to the tempo of the songs?

I have no idea why nothing works, but maybe it's just the recording loop part that's not right. I start with recording a loop, and then test the other buttons. I don't have or use existing samples, only recorded ones. For me the samplers are just loop recorders. I use two other decks as sampler decks, to have more freedom and control.

geposted Tue 01 Sep 15 @ 8:43 pm
The Sampler recording process is much different in version 8, and unfortunately it cant be easily used live. This is probably the only "fallback" in the new Sampler.
The actions to record need to be like...
deck x sampler_rec (without defining the slot of the sample) since its not recording directly to a Sampler Slot. If this action is used, it will then record deck x to a new Temporary Sample or rather a proper Sample but not inside any Bank, so you cant use it right away once recorded.
Newly recorded samples are saved into the Sampler/Recording folder and from there you need to manually add it to a Sampler Bank in order to have access on it using any sampler_play actions.

Tip. I would recommend to use sampler_pad x actions or sampler_pad (without x for the selected sample)
This way the button will trigger the sample depending on the selected Sampler Trigger mode (On/Off, Stutter, Hold and Unmute).
Have also another button as sampler_stop x to stop the playing sample if the Stutter or Unmute mode is selected.
Most of the sampler actions used in version 7 will work in version 8 as well. So the syntax you were using in version 7 could be used as well in version 8, e.g. sampler 1 play_stop should still work.
generally in version 8 syntax the sampler slot goes after the actions... So sampler_play 1 sampler_stop 1 etc.

Sampler Beatlock action as said in my previous reply is not implemented. Syncing needs to be done from the Sampler Editor.
Keep in mind that if the deck is looped and you press the sampler_rec button, the the created sample will be in Sync mode anyways (you dont have to wrorry about its mode)

geposted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 10:37 am
Wow... You can't record and directly use the looped sample? That's bad news for me. As is some other stuff concerning VDJ8 you informed me about.
Please, let me explain:

I'm deejaying on a touch screen and have to work with what fits directly in the interface (that's why I made a custom skin in the first place: to only have the controls that I need). So popups, and menus, etc. are a BIG NO NO for me. (Most of them aren't very touch-friendly, anyway.) And I like to keep things simple. The less technical things I need to do, the more I can concentrate on the crowd. Recording a loop and playing it back, with only two buttons (or better even 1 button) is what I need.

So... if you don't know of a workaround to get my loop-recording-and-immediate-playback-function working in VDJ8, then I'll have to drop that feature from my new skin. Before I do that, however, I need to be sure that it is indeed 100% impossible. Could you confirm this?

(Please make sure, because in another thread you also said that the "old" rhythm verb was not possible in VDJ8, but after much trial and error and troubleshooting, as a last resort, I put the old code from my VDJ7 skin in and voilá... I have exactly what I want: selectable colors, no fading of the grid markers, no blending of overlapping colors from the two decks in the waveform... in VDJ8!!!)

So, the question now is, DJDad: do I drop the loop recorder from my skin or is there a workaround (without manually saving and searching and loading) for loop recording and immediate playback?

geposted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 3:44 pm
I amtrying to find a workaround on this.. and this is what i have found so far...
Once the sampler_rec is created, the focus goes to the Recordings folder.
Right there, you can use this action to play it..
browser_sort "-firstseen" & browser_enter (you can use the same button to stop it)

If the Focus is not at the Recordings Folder, e.g. you need to play the sample later and you have set the focus to a different folder in the meantime, then you can use this..
browser_gotofolder "Sampler/Recordings" & browser_sort "-firstseen"

but you still need the 1st button in order to play it, because if you combine these actions into one, it wont work (takes time to goto folder and sort and the browser_enter action will be probably executed before it reaches to that folder).

Anyways, this "live" use of the recorded sample is something that has been reported since day 1, and i beleive that a solution will be offered soon.

geposted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 12:48 pm
Thank you very much for your time and effort, Babis. It is truly appreciated. I will leave the recorder in the skin and will wait patiently for the moment where i can implement the old way (record and immediate playback with one button)...

I tend to use the instrumental part to record a loop which I use to make mixing the song in (or out) a bit easier...

:)

geposted Thu 03 Sep 15 @ 3:27 pm
djdad wrote :
i beleive that a solution will be offered soon.

That's good news. Recording to slots as well? At least have it as an option if people want to do it.

geposted Mon 07 Sep 15 @ 5:24 pm
@DJDAD: Has this issue been resolved yet? Can we record to (and playback from) a slot?
(I'm still working on the conversion of my touch screen skin to VDJ8 and have now arrived at the sampler...)

I have these frases for my LOOP RECORDER sampler for the first (left) deck:

<button action="sampler_select 1 & sampler_rec">
<button action="sampler_select 1 & sampler_play_stutter">
<button action="sampler_select 1 & sampler_stop">
<button action="sampler_select 1 & repeat & sampler_volume -10%">
<button action="sampler_select 1 & sampler_volume 0% ? on & sampler_volume 100% : sampler_volume 0%">
<button action="sampler_select 1 & repeat & sampler_volume +10%">
<button action="sampler_select 1 & sampler_loop">

geposted Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 2:43 pm
Does anyone know the correct VDJscript code for recording to sampler slot 1 in VDJ8? I cannot get it to work with my code (see post above)...

Also: is it normal that when selecting the playlists folder in the folders section of the browser, that on the right side (where normally the contents are shown of the folder you selected on the left side) the playlists are NOT shown?

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 11:30 am
Unless something has changed recently and Atomix haven't told us, it's not possible in VDJ 8 to record directly to a particular sample location.

It's been requested since the release of VDJ 8, but so far nothing has changed.

Personally I would much rather be able to do this than have all sample recordings go to a folder, then have to go to the folder, select the sample and drag it all the way across the screen from far left to far right, just to get it on a pad.

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 11:37 am
I'll just keep on waiting patiently for the moment the devs restore this useful option that was formerly present in the software to VDJ8...
;)

Groovin, do you know if it is normal that when selecting the playlists folder on the left side of the browser, that on the right side the playlists are NOT shown?

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 11:47 am
I don't use playlists, but I just tried what you said.

The tracks are listed in the centre (main browser). If you want them in the sidelist or automix list then you have to right click on the playlist and choose that option.

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 12:00 pm
Thanks for taking the time, Groovin', but that's not what I meant.

If you have the main browser (disregard the sidelists for a moment), then you have a left side with folders (that you can select by clicking on them) and a right side with their contents, right? Just like the good old Windows explorer.

But when I click on the Playlists folder (in the left panel of the browser), I do NOT see the contents of the Playlist folder (i.e. the playlists) on the right hand panel... I DO see the contents of every other folder, but not the Playlists folder!

I'm looking for a way to load my playlists from the touch screen (I have no normal browser in my touch screen skin, nor do I want to "navigate" small file trees when on a touch screen), and one of the solutions I thought of required the playlists to show up on the rightside (or center as you say it) of the explorer.

I was just wondering if this was a bug in my system or in the VDJ program, or if this behaviour is intentional for some reason.

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 2:42 pm
OK I think I understand - but the main browser window shows tracks (songs) not lists or files, which is what you're asking.

When you select the playlists folder on the left side, the playlists are shown (on the left). When you select a playlist, then the contents of that list (the songs) show in the browser.

What is the resolution of your touch screen? Are you using the touchscreen statement in your skin (so VDJ knows it's a touch screen)?

Lower resolution skins show a browser with relatively larger proportions. The touchscreen mode shows larger browser elements too. Even increasing the browser font size makes the file icons much larger.

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 3:04 pm
That's useful info! THX!

What's the touch screen declaration?

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 3:17 pm
You can see it in the default touch screen skin.

touchscreenmode="true" goes in the <skin> line along with all the usual stuff (name, comment, image, author etc).

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 10:13 pm
gotcha. thx!

geposted Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 11:47 pm
Probably a dumb question, but: how can I know if the "record-and-playback-directly" feature is available for the sampler? Is there somewhere on this site where one can check the updates made in the software?

geposted Sun 24 Jan 16 @ 7:33 pm
80%