Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: different database options ?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi
i have done about 5 different projects of mixing (newbee)
Every music folder has been saved as , ex "projectwedding" or "mikebday"
i also saved five different database files (for each project) so in case i want to reopen a project
i will reinstall the concerned database with its own music folder (even though the same song exists in another project)
But wouldnt it be better if VDJ gave the user a choice to pick different databases so he does not need
to keep it somewhere in a backup key, rename it every time he installs it back and risk to loose files ?

I dont know if someone here thought about it, but i thing it should be good for those who wish to keep old projects.

geposted Thu 05 Nov 15 @ 4:50 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Use existing library management tools, rather than multiple databases. So instead of a database for an event, just create a virtual folder, playlist or something.

Alternatively use alternate storage, as each device has it's own database.

Switching databases regularly like that is asking for trouble and is a terrible idea in general as you end up with inconsistent information such as last play, play count, first seen etc.

geposted Thu 05 Nov 15 @ 5:06 pm
I also have that same issue.
Yes, we can use virtual folder options, but if i change cues in the song, it will change it in all existing virtual folders..
so how to keep different cues for same song ?
exemple:
virtual folder 1/ bongo song has 4 cues
virtual folder 2/ bongo song has 6 cues

geposted Mon 09 Nov 15 @ 12:43 pm
Set the song with 10 cues and name them is one possibility.

If you want multiple databases then you'll have to create yourself a tool/script to handle it or do it manually. Alternatively like I said use multiple storage devices as each maintains it's own database.

geposted Mon 09 Nov 15 @ 5:29 pm
Ok, so instead of multiple song files i use multiple cues in one file, rename them so i can recognise what they are for.
but how do i see it while mixing ?

geposted Mon 09 Nov 15 @ 7:42 pm
Well the default skin lets you see the name of up to 6. A custom skin could do more. You can see the names on the waveforms too.

Like I said, you can always use storage devices to do it instead. Then you just plug in the drive that has the database you require. Or you could write yourself a script to swap the DB file out.

This is not something we would add to the software.

geposted Mon 09 Nov 15 @ 7:46 pm
Ok, different storage data, like USB key, with different project. I got it.
Expensive costs though..

geposted Tue 10 Nov 15 @ 1:09 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If your hard drive is big enough you could divide it into several partitions.
Your PC will see this partitions as a drive, with own driveletters etc...
You are now able to use one partition with one database and its own tracks for one project.
And another partition with its own database etc. for another project.

geposted Tue 10 Nov 15 @ 1:57 pm
oh my..
doesnt that require a reformat or some thing ?

geposted Tue 10 Nov 15 @ 6:17 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Yes i believe so.
I only did it 2 or 3 times and that is long ago.
But if you have a second external (which you should have, backup reason) it is not a big deal to reformat one drive.

geposted Tue 10 Nov 15 @ 6:36 pm
Ok, i understand.
In fact, i'm planning to create three different mix recordings
so i need cues in different places based on the mix i want to do.

geposted Tue 10 Nov 15 @ 7:38 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)